Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tc1992
    • By tc1992 11th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 120Posts
    • 17Thanks
    tc1992
    Can anyone confirm how long i have before my landlord evcits me (she's selling)
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    Can anyone confirm how long i have before my landlord evcits me (she's selling) 11th Oct 17 at 3:57 PM
    Hello

My landlord's agents phone me on monday to tell me that they are selling. I am currently on a 12 month contract. The payment for the very last month of the contract went through yesterday.

Since i have not been served formal notice does that mean I have the rest of this (contract) month and then 2 month more. I believe that legally you need to give 2 months. There is no time stated in my contract, it just says that "he shall serve any notice(s) with the provisions of the Housing Acts"

So if that is the case i have effectively 3 months more here, have i got this right?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    Around 6-8 months if you decide to stay put

s.21 notice is just notice of intention to go to court. it doesn't end a tenancy
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 11th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 9,214 Posts
    • 57,735 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    Your contract is not being renewed so I read that as when your tenancy period ends at the end of this contract,that is the day you should vacate.

However you are quite at liberty to stay put until eviction,or your choice of date to move out....whichever is sooner
    Last edited by LEJC; 11-10-2017 at 4:18 PM.
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 141 out 118 in ...£14.92 spend
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 11th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    Your contract is not being renewed so I read that as when your tenancy period ends at the end of this contract,that is the day you should vacate.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    I read that it rolls over to periodic when the contract ends.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 11th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 9,214 Posts
    • 57,735 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    I read that it rolls over to periodic when the contract ends.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    That is true....but in the absence of anything that either of us can really read,I would possibly advise the OP to contact the LA or LL to establish the date they wish her to vacate without the need to go down the eviction route....unless she wants or needs to.

An amicable agreement is always better...but I do understand that in some circumstances to gain onward housing things need to progress down a more formal route.

• Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    That is true....but in the absence of anything that either of us can really read,I would possibly advise the OP to contact the LA or LL to establish the date they wish her to vacate without the need to go down the eviction route....unless she wants or needs to.

An amicable agreement is always better...but I do understand that in some circumstances to gain onward housing things need to progress down a more formal route.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    She's not even been served with any notice.....
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    Will you need a good reference for somewhere else to rent?

Eviction timing depends on the workload of your local court system.
    I've only participated in it once but I served notice in August 2015 (I forget the exact date) and we were down the final stage bailiff's warrant at the start of November 2015.
    So that was barely three months, start to finish.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    Will you need a good reference for somewhere else to rent?

Eviction timing depends on the workload of your local court system.
    I've only participated in it once but I served notice in August 2015 (I forget the exact date) and we were down the final stage bailiff's warrant at the start of November 2015.
    So that was barely three months, start to finish.
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel

Surprising really, given that the notice is 2 months, and the court order is 14 days, so 14-18 days to get a hearing and bailiffs - almost unheard of.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    No, we didn't get the bailiffs in, we only applied for the warrant. That was enough for the tenants to throw in the towel since the last thing they wanted was police involvement.
    I think the warrant would have taken another 2 weeks.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69
    No, we didn't get the bailiffs in, we only applied for the warrant. That was enough for the tenants to throw in the towel since the last thing they wanted was police involvement.
    I think the warrant would have taken another 2 weeks.

What have the police got to do with it?

Bailiff turns up, you hand over the key and leave.

In any case, I see, that's the warrant and then another 2-4 (or more) for execution
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    We would have asked the police to attend because of the nature of the tenant.
    I don't think this applies to the OP!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69

Ah I see.

I think whilst a valid experience, it's not typical
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Yes, you're right.

I was really just trying to add an example to my main point that timings can vary and if I were the tenant, I wouldn't be relying on 6-8 months because it can take less than that.

Horrible situation to be in anyway. My last two landlords sold the house from under me and I'm now trying to jump ship before the current one does the same.
    He's already told me he's planning extensive repair and renovation work this autumn so the sword of Damocles hangs over me....
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Are you sure that your landlord isn't going to sell to another landlord?
    • By 45002 11th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Hello

My landlord's agents phone me on monday to tell me that they are selling. I am currently on a 12 month contract. The payment for the very last month of the contract went through yesterday.

Since i have not been served formal notice does that mean I have the rest of this (contract) month and then 2 month more. I believe that legally you need to give 2 months. There is no time stated in my contract, it just says that "he shall serve any notice(s) with the provisions of the Housing Acts"

So if that is the case i have effectively 3 months more here, have i got this right?
    by tc1992
    Have a read of this

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/77351-time-to-repossess-statistics?p=1001883#post1001883

Good luck...

My signature been censored again by MSE, no reason given how rude...
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 15,943 Posts
    • 39,733 Thanks
    FBaby
    Indeed, if they haven't served you with a S21, it might because they are hoping that the sell will attract another LL who would be happy to keep you if the current LL confirms you have been an excellent tenant.

Unfortunately, for the same reasons more and more LL opt to sell, less and less investors are interested in property, but hey, it's great because there will be more properties available for residential mortgage. Too bad for those who can't afford to become owners and had no issues renting from a good LL.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 11th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    csgohan4

Actually if the bailiff's can't get he tenant to leave, the police can move the tenant physically, as long as the bailiff's have a Possession order
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • tc1992
    • By tc1992 11th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    tc1992
    thankyou for the replies, i need to have a proper look at this.

Just to clarify, there is no problem / agro between me and landlord / agents. They simply have decided to sell. I have a house bought in place, and i obviously want to get in there before my time here runs out. The process has started pretty much as of this week and I hope I can get it done and moved in, within 8 to 10 weeks. Hope, of course

I am on a 12 month contract, which goes automatically to 1 month rolling contract as of November 10th. So i believe they still need to give me notice. I really do not want to go down the staying put whilst out of contract route
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 55,559 Posts
    • 48,924 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Property takes time to sell. In your interest to be mutually cooperative with the LL. Then you can time your exit.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 11th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 9,214 Posts
    • 57,735 Thanks
    LEJC
    thankyou for the replies, i need to have a proper look at this.

Just to clarify, there is no problem / agro between me and landlord / agents. They simply have decided to sell. I have a house bought in place, and i obviously want to get in there before my time here runs out. The process has started pretty much as of this week and I hope I can get it done and moved in, within 8 to 10 weeks. Hope, of course

I am on a 12 month contract, which goes automatically to 1 month rolling contract as of November 10th. So i believe they still need to give me notice. I really do not want to go down the staying put whilst out of contract route
    Originally posted by tc1992
    You don't have to stay until they give you 2 months...remember that if your house completes earlier you only need to give the one month notice...

It does sound as if you may be able to juggle the move on well and at the moment there would be no need to consider eviction as such.

Try and keep your LL up to date with your progress in the hope that they keep you updated with theirs and hopefully everything remains amicable

Keep pushing your solicitor or whomever is dealing with your house move it's always better to be the one who is able to leave the rental first as it saves you needing to arrange somewhere temporary if the sale of where you are now goes through super quickly.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin