Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lindseypentith
    • By lindseypentith 11th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lindseypentith
    Planning Application, Disabled
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    Planning Application, Disabled 11th Oct 17 at 3:46 PM
    Hi all

We have recently bought a property that we are planning on extending and making various changes to make it accessible and functional for myself. I am a double below knee amputee and I thought that as such the planning fee would be waived so no payment was sent with the plans (sent by the architect). The reply he got that he has since forwarded to me says that the fee will need to be paid as the alterations are not wholly for the sole use of a disabled person.

Has anyone come across this before? I fail to understand how any disabled applicant could be eligible for the fee to be waived if this is the case.

I share my house with my husband and children.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:53 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:53 PM
    I'm just surprised you didn't get planning permission prior to buying, what happens if it's rejected?

In any case, presumably the type of application you are making put the development beyond the scope of adjustments for disability? Obviously I don't know, as you haven't said.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 11th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 29,855 Posts
    • 55,844 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    It's been a long time since I worked in Planning, but I think the development has to be something e.g like a wet room because the disabled person cannot access the family bathroom, or a disability ramp because they cannot access the building without it.. I don't think it is for just adding an extra room that a disabled person might use, along with everyone else in the family.

These are the regulations: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2920/regulation/4/made
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 11-10-2017 at 4:09 PM.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    'Let me tell you this one thing. When you fall out, as you will, don't get blaming each other. Look inside yourself first'. - Hilda Ogden, to Sally on her wedding day to Kevin, Coronation Street 1986. '
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 5,583 Posts
    • 4,985 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    Hi all

We have recently bought a property that we are planning on extending and making various changes to make it accessible and functional for myself. I am a double below knee amputee and I thought that as such the planning fee would be waived so no payment was sent with the plans (sent by the architect). The reply he got that he has since forwarded to me says that the fee will need to be paid as the alterations are not wholly for the sole use of a disabled person.

Has anyone come across this before? I fail to understand how any disabled applicant could be eligible for the fee to be waived if this is the case.

I share my house with my husband and children.

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by lindseypentith
    you have been given the answer already as you yourself have quoted

we don't know whether that reflects the works you want done or not as we haven't seen your plans
    • Gilead
    • By Gilead 11th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Gilead
    I would imagine it will be related to the scope of what you are planning - widening/improving access, dedicated rooms such as wetroom or extra room (store medical equipment) etc would be for your sole use. Your local planning authority should be able to clearly advised based on your plans how they apply the below regulation to your situation:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2920/regulation/4/made
    • lindseypentith
    • By lindseypentith 11th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lindseypentith
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    At the moment there is a single storey single brick walled attached outhouse which has in it a downstairs loo and storage/utility space (it is a bit of a rabbit warren with loads of doors, this will be opened up to make the kitchen larger). We are looking to extend no wider than it is already but extend it the full depth of the house and the same upstairs. All the doors need to be widened to accommodate a wheelchair, there will be a platform lift installed and a wet-room made. the external doors will need to be without a raised thresholds and the kitchen will be made with accesible lower height work surfaces and appliances. Needing a ramp outside from the front to the rear to enable wheelchair access to the garden.
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 11th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    At the moment there is a single storey single brick walled attached outhouse which has in it a downstairs loo and storage/utility space (it is a bit of a rabbit warren with loads of doors, this will be opened up to make the kitchen larger). We are looking to extend no wider than it is already but extend it the full depth of the house and the same upstairs. All the doors need to be widened to accommodate a wheelchair, there will be a platform lift installed and a wet-room made. the external doors will need to be without a raised thresholds and the kitchen will be made with accesible lower height work surfaces and appliances. Needing a ramp outside from the front to the rear to enable wheelchair access to the garden.
    I think it's best to ask your local authority. Try and speak to the person who checked the application for validation. They may give you more of an explanation.

I can only assume that maybe they feel the kitchen enlargement isn't improving your access to the kitchen?
    Worse case I would suggest just paying the £172 fee. In the grand scheme of the extension costs it's not a huge amount and would save on time trying to persuade them to waive the fee.
    • lindseypentith
    • By lindseypentith 11th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lindseypentith
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    Yes the £172.00 fee is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things but I can't help but wonder why the no fee legislation is there and under what circumstances it applies?

I am on the committee of an amputee charity and would love to be in a position of knowledge to be able to advise others if and when it arises.

Thanks all for the replies and the links, I am better informed if none the wiser!
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 11th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    Yes the £172.00 fee is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things but I can't help but wonder why the no fee legislation is there and under what circumstances it applies?

I am on the committee of an amputee charity and would love to be in a position of knowledge to be able to advise others if and when it arises.

Thanks all for the replies and the links, I am better informed if none the wiser!
    I would discuss directly with the admin person that made the decision. They are normally quite helpful and often change their minds!.

My suggestion of just paying was purely from a time saving point of view.

I think it will be because perhaps the enlargement of the kitchen is not improving access albeit may improve ease of access for yourself?
    • lindseypentith
    • By lindseypentith 11th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lindseypentith
    Thanks, I shall give them another call tomorrow, I've been trying to get through since last Friday. The woman I need to speak to is never at her desk and hasn't returned my calls as yet.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Oct 17, 12:12 AM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Have a chat with your local councillor. Hopefully they will come out before any planning officer does and they can see that the adaptations are all for you and put a sharp word in to the planning office.

That isnwhat they are there for
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,524Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter