Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James12354
    • By James12354 11th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    James12354
    SCS Sofa Inspection before refund?
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    SCS Sofa Inspection before refund? 11th Oct 17 at 3:26 PM
    Do faulty/damaged goods need to be inspected by the seller before a refund to the consumer?

I received damaged sofas from SCS and I sent them a letter within 30 days of delivery asking for a refund (thanks to you guys I know to do everything in writing). They told me over the phone that the sofas need to be physically inspected before they can proceed.

Is this legally true?

It sounds to me that they're trying to send the repair man and avoid having to refund my money.

I checked Citizens Advice but it doesn't say anything about whether the company has to physically inspect the good and approve of the damage before a refund can be issued. Do you know if this is true? I'd rather not have anyone but the delivery guys come over to pick it up for a refund.
    Last edited by James12354; 11-10-2017 at 3:29 PM.
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 11th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 5,591 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    Do faulty/damaged goods need to be inspected by the seller before a refund to the consumer?

I received damaged sofas from SCS and I sent them a letter within 30 days of delivery asking for a refund (thanks to you guys I know to do everything in writing). They told me over the phone that the sofas need to be physically inspected before they can proceed.

Is this legally true?

It sounds to me that they're trying to send the repair man and avoid having to refund my money.

I checked Citizens Advice but it doesn't say anything about whether the company has to physically inspect the good and approve of the damage before a refund can be issued. Do you know if this is true? I'd rather not have anyone but the delivery guys come over to pick it up for a refund.
    Originally posted by James12354
    They are allowed to assess it to confirm a fault they don’t have to just take your word for it.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 11th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    Originally posted by James12354
    The quickest way to get your money back will be to let them send someone but when they arrive, make it absolutely clear that you only want the presence of a fault confirmed and you don't want any repair carrying out or any replacement parts or a new sofa ordering.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    I received damaged sofas from SCS and I sent them a letter within 30 days of delivery asking for a refund (thanks to you guys I know to do everything in writing).
    If this was your first contact it was overkill. You're fine to speak to retailers on the phone to initially report a fault.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,544Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin