Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bartsimpson
    • By bartsimpson 11th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 682Posts
    • 478Thanks
    bartsimpson
    Tenant made a mess...
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    Tenant made a mess... 11th Oct 17 at 3:23 PM
    Tenant of a property I own has just left, leaving black smears on the walls where he tried to rub off some mould.

The lettings agent are sending one of their painting contacts round to give a quote for painting with anti-mould paint. This will then be taken off the tenant's deposit which was 1 month's rent.

I want to save money on the labour by doing this myself.

I'm itching to get started but would I need full written quotations and/or receipts for the work before you can legally demand to keep some or all of the tenant's deposit?

Feel like I'm in limbo at the moment, just want the quote from the agent so I can say 'take that money from the tenant's deposit, but forget your guy because I'm going to paint it myself'.

Anyone know the best way to proceed?

Thanks
Page 1
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 11th Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    Wash with bleach (wearing rubber gloves) that will wipe the mould off and kill any spores.

Wash again with sugar soap, re paint with ordinary paint.

Address the heating / ventilating issues or tenants lifestyle issues to stop it happening again.

Just painting over it with any sort of paint is a waste of time.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    Tenant of a property I own has just left, leaving black smears on the walls where he tried to rub off some mould.

The lettings agent are sending one of their painting contacts round to give a quote for painting with anti-mould paint. This will then be taken off the tenant's deposit which was 1 month's rent.

I'm itching to get started but would I need full written quotations and/or receipts for the work before you can legally demand to keep some or all of the tenant's deposit?

Feel like I'm in limbo at the moment, just want the quote from the agent so I can say 'take that money from the tenant's deposit, but forget your guy because I'm going to paint it myself'.

Thanks
    Originally posted by bartsimpson
    Ye that is pretty cheeky - charge for labour, do it yourself.... Are you expecting sympathy now?
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 11th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 9,183 Posts
    • 57,634 Thanks
    LEJC

Thanks
    so what you are saying is you want to charge the tenant the higher rate and pocket the difference?

bad practice Mr LL to ride on the back of a professional quote to take money from a deposit....

tell the LA that you dont need a quote because you will be doing the work...quote sensibly for your time and materials...and pass that and only that charge to the tenant via a deposit deduction.
    Last edited by LEJC; 11-10-2017 at 3:57 PM.
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 141 out 118 in ...£14.92 spend
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 8,129 Posts
    • 27,174 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    Why was there enough black mould on the walls for it to stain?
    Either the tenant wasn't ventilating the property properly, in which case mould proof paint isn't really necessary, or it was because of issues not caused by the tenant in which case you can hardly expect him to take the blame.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    Either the tenant wasn't ventilating the property properly, in which case mould proof paint isn't really necessary, or it was because of issues not caused by the tenant in which case you can hardly expect him to take the blame.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Yeah, if it was my house I'd definitely want to know why it was mouldy before I just slapped paint over it!
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 11th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    freeisgood
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    Just wipe the walls with a bleach solution...this will remove the discolouration. Why try to fleece your tenant by being dishonest? Did you take a dislike to him/her?
    • amfan
    • By amfan 11th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    amfan
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    HG mould spray is the best I've found for black mould. I lived in a place with awful heating and ventilation and this was the only thing that removed all trace. But I'll admit I did also dry washing indoors too, so I do take the blame for creating the mould. As others have said you need to investigate why it was happening before lumping the blame on your tennant.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 11th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 9,183 Posts
    • 57,634 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    my oh my his gets better....

the LL now wants to charge a professional rate from the deposit and is asking for suggestions on another thread of how to irradiate the problem.

speechless.....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5725847

• marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    marliepanda

the LL now wants to charge a professional rate from the deposit and is asking for suggestions on another thread of how to irradiate the problem.

speechless.....

Originally posted by LEJC
    *eradicate. I mean unless he wants to go nuclear on the issue
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 11th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 9,183 Posts
    • 57,634 Thanks
    LEJC
    spell check can be a b*****!

• NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 11th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus

speechless.....

And this would be why landlords are collectively regarded as being in the same bracket as politicians and tabloid journalists when it comes to trustworthiness.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 47,174 Thanks
    kerri gt
    *eradicate. I mean unless he wants to go nuclear on the issue
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    well it would certainly address the mould problem
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 11th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 9,183 Posts
    • 57,634 Thanks
    LEJC
    And this would be why landlords are collectively regarded as being in the same bracket as politicians and tabloid journalists when it comes to trustworthiness.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    And this is why I also like to try and point out not all of us LL's employ the tactics displayed here.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 60,259 Posts
    • 352,061 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    You're a chancer.... mould was probably inevitable as you probably rent a shabby hole that nobody could keep clear of it.

You're a cheeky farquer, wishing to profit and get betterment and unlawfully obtain money by false pretenses ....

If you've got a decent bone in your body you'll go over there with bleach and a bowl of water and a couple of cloths and clean it off. Don't bill the tenant. If you wish to paint the wall with anti-mould paint that's a landlord's property improvement cost and is YOUR cost to bear.

Bloodsucker.

*sighs*
    • bartsimpson
    • By bartsimpson 11th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    bartsimpson
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Tenant wasn't ventilating. There was zero mould, zero problem before they moved in.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 11th Oct 17, 4:47 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    And this is why I also like to try and point out not all of us LL's employ the tactics displayed here.
    I know, there are plenty of good, responsible landlords out there. My post wasn't intended to come across as suggesting that all landlords are dishonest but that the actions of a minority do tar all landlords negatively.
    • amfan
    • By amfan 11th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    amfan
    Tenant wasn't ventilating. There was zero mould, zero problem before they moved in.
    From my experience it should be very easy to clean then. The tenant probably just tried to use water and a cloth, and not use a bleach solution. I'd imagine it looks worse than it is.
    • bartsimpson
    • By bartsimpson 11th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    bartsimpson

speechless.....

What the actual !!!!.

My time is valuable. As valuable as a painter's time. I have no idea what to quote so I want to go by a quote from someone vaguely experienced in this field. In this case I'm willing to swap my time for money as I think it will stand me in good stead in the future (so I get better at painting).

If you don't want to offer constructive advice why not just ignore the thread - I am NOT out to rip anyone off. In fact I am the victim here, renting a nice flat to a tenant who has created a horrible mould problem all of his own doing and left the place looking like a pig-sty.
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 11th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Mossfarr
    Why do you want to charge a former tenant for 'a few black smears' which he clearly tried to remove? Its not as though he trashed the place**. Surely you would be giving the place the 'once over' between tenants anyway?

**just seen your last post re leaving it as a pigsty. Unfortunately this is how some people choose to live. They pay you a lot of rent to live as they choose in your property. Having to get the bleach out, rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in is part of the job description of a landlord otherwise there's little profit to be made.
    I completely get that you feel that your time is money so your option is to pay professionals!
    Last edited by Mossfarr; 11-10-2017 at 5:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin