Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joistoan
    • By joistoan 11th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    joistoan
    EDF Threatening court action from 2011!
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    EDF Threatening court action from 2011! 11th Oct 17 at 2:53 PM
    Hello all

I've received a letter today from EDF threatening me with legal action for £70 from 2011 = they 'sent the final bill on 21/11/11'. I was with Southern Electric all of 2011 and 2012 so Im slightly confused??? Is this a scam?? I have never received any bills from them in the past.
    Last edited by joistoan; 11-10-2017 at 3:32 PM.
Page 1
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 11th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    Was it a letter? Ask for a copy of the bill. If it was an email Id be wary of replying in case its a phishing exercise
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 11th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 5,688 Posts
    • 7,133 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    Ask for proof of claim.
    A copy of this bill they refer to.
    A contract and payment history.
    References to dates they claim to have supplied utilities.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    Hello all

I've received a letter today from EDF threatening me with legal action for £70 from 2011 = they 'sent the final bill on 21/11/11'. I was with Southern Electric all of 2011 and 2012 so Im slightly confused??? Is this a scam?? I have never received any bills from them in the past.
    Originally posted by joistoan
    Unlikley to be a scam if on EDF headed paper.

Quite simple to check though, isn't it? Simply call EDF (get their number off the internet, rather than the letter just in case is is a scam).

If it's not a scam, you need to contact them anyway to resolve it

Good luck!
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 12th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    IANAL, and I can only speak based on the information so far posted to this thread, but:

If the debt were genuine, they would have 6 years (from the claimed date of default, or the last time the debt was acknowledged by the debtor) to lay a claim before the court. After that they have no legal remedy.

From the dates given, as of today they have 40 days to recover the money or write it off forever, hence the (probably automated) nastygram.

Have you ever been an EDF customer? This may well be a complete mistake on their part, but a letter before claim is a legal document that should be responded to (and it sounds like that's what you have).

Write back to them, don't call, get free proof of postage from the post office. Make clear that "The debt is denied". Explain that you were not their customer at the time specified (or ever if that's the case) and if they still feel the money is owed that they need to provide more proof.

If you have been their customer in the past, you might also consider making an official complaint, because while the legal limit to recover a debt is 6 years, its quite unreasonable to wait until the limit is almost up to pursue a debt without good cause.

Either way, if you can hold them off until the 21st of November this year nothing can come of it anyway.
    Last edited by Raxiel; 12-10-2017 at 3:35 PM.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 12th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    Not sure if it was a letter before claim, as procedure has changed since 1st October (http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil) and it should be more apparent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin