Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Eesha
    • By MSE Eesha 11th Oct 17, 2:22 PM
    • 89Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Eesha
    Warning: Parents with 2+ children who’ll go to uni, SAVE NOW, the system’s biased aga
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:22 PM
    Warning: Parents with 2+ children who’ll go to uni, SAVE NOW, the system’s biased aga 11th Oct 17 at 2:22 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 36,053 Posts
    • 151,627 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    Hardly mind blowing. If you have children close in age chances are they will be doing the same thing at the same time.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    Many years ago, back in the days when students got grants rather than loans, and the local authority paid the tuition fees, my brother and I both went to university.

Back then, there was a (not hidden) parental contribution system - the more your parents earned, the smaller your grant.

When my brother and I were at university at the same time, there was a cut in the parental contribution per child, but it was still more than that for one child. So it doesn't look like much has changed in that respect.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Iphigenia
    • By Iphigenia 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Iphigenia
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    I have two sons at Uni and they both only get the minimum maintenance loan. We pay their rent, so they try to live off the loan. The rent costs last year were between £139 & £149 per week each.

This year the oldest one is attending a Uni in Japan on his year abroad. The tuition fees are £1,385 for the whole year. His accommodation costs are £180 per month. And his maintenance loan is £1,300 higher than his brother's.

Which leads us all to wonder exactly why are UK undergraduate costs so high, that they need to borrow so much?
    • phillw
    • By phillw 12th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    phillw
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    Which leads us all to wonder exactly why are UK undergraduate costs so high, that they need to borrow so much?
    Originally posted by Iphigenia
    It costs money to run universities. They used to have to beg for money from the government and from previous graduates and some of them were pretty grotty. Now they are funded directly & are able to invest in providing better services.
    Last edited by phillw; 12-10-2017 at 8:15 AM.
    • Mogley
    • By Mogley 13th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Mogley
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    Me and My sister were in Uni at the same time for two years 2002-2003. The loans system was means tested then so my parents had to contribute to our costs. Little has changed now so two years ago I started to pay small amounts regularly into a S&S ISA as my eldest dependant was 9 and second is 7 so that I could potentially subsidise my own if they wanted to go to university.

My opinion is that the maximum maintenance loan amount should be increased to reflect actual living costs at university. Those from the lowest income families can then afford to live with no dependence. The maintenance loan should be means tested and information given to children's parents when they start secondary school education explaining the potential cost to them if their child chooses this path. Although the system may change in those 8 years, in principle, it has remained pretty much the same.
    No.25 for 2017 £1070/£4000 saved.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,885Posts Today

8,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you for covering the story - but also can i say - what a great name for the editor of Money Marketing! https://t.co/UcvQduTeJL

• Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Follow Martin