Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Homeboy 1
    • By Homeboy 1 11th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Homeboy 1
    Switching Current Accounts
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    Switching Current Accounts 11th Oct 17 at 2:19 PM
    Hi, I am looking to switch my donor current account to either First Direct or Marks and Spencer bank to get the introductory bonus, and access to their 5% savings account. I can't see anywhere where it says that you need any direct debits to get the First Direct bonus when switching, but that you need two direct debits for the Marks and Spencer bank, which I have already got set up on my donor account. Meeting the monthly pay in amount is no problem. Would I be better off transferring my donor account to the M&S bank as that needs the two direct debits and then trying to open another donor account to try and switch it to First Direct once it has been set up, I would obviously keep these two accounts for 12 months to make sure I got the 5% savings. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    Getting two switching bonuses and two lots of 5% regular savings is clearly better than one, yes! And if you're going to do both then starting with the one that needs DDs makes sense if your existing donor account already has these, so do the M&S switch and in parallel open another donor account and initiate the switch to FD.
    • Homeboy 1
    • By Homeboy 1 11th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Homeboy 1
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    Thank you so much eskbanker for your very quick reply. I thought that this might be the best way to go, but just wanted advice from more knowledgeable and clever people on this forum. Going to apply to M&S now. Thank you once again
    • datlex
    • By datlex 12th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    datlex
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    Thank you so much eskbanker for your very quick reply. I thought that this might be the best way to go, but just wanted advice from more knowledgeable and clever people on this forum. Going to apply to M&S now. Thank you once again
    Originally posted by Homeboy 1
    Just remember it is a M&S gift card you are getting. Some after the switch has gone through fully then £5 a month is added for the duration of the offer. Of course with Christmas coming up could be handy for Christmas presents :-)
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 12th Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    Use Tesco Instant access saver account and Tesco Saver accounts to create d/debits made payable to yourself. Then switch your accounts. Done this loads of times for MS, Halifax, HSBC, etc.

HTHs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

959Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin