Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrbasketball
    • By mrbasketball 11th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mrbasketball
    Received letter before claim
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    Received letter before claim 11th Oct 17 at 2:17 PM
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I wish i had looked on here earlier, but went with the 'just ignore advice' from the past..

Quick rundown:

1. August 2016. Had a £100 PCN on my car for 'not displaying a valid permit' on my previous employers carpark from UK Car Park Management. Its a shared car park on a business park. My car was registered with security and was parked in an allocated bay, but apparently the permit couldnt be seen. Its a free carpark and i believe its private land. Ignored it. I have been advised that the business park will not cancel it.

2. September 2016. Recieved a formal demand from CPM, with photos so small and dark that you cant see if its there or not. The permit was normally kept in the sunvisor or on the dashboard. Ignored it.

3. October 2016. Recieved a debt collection letter from DRP for £149. Ignored it.

4. November 2016. Recieved a 'Notice of intended court action' from DRP. Ignored it.

5. November 2016. Recieved a 'Reduced payment offer of £126 to avoid cour action' from DRP. Ignored it.

6. March 2017. Recieved a letter from Gladstones Solicitiors demanding £149 within 14 days. Ignored it.

7. October 2017. Recieved a 'Letter before Claim' from Gladstones Solicitors for £160, 30 days to pay or reply with valid reason for non-payment 'persuant to paragraph 4 of the pre-action protocol for debt claims under the civil procedure rules 1998 (the PAP)'.

So this is where I am upto now. I have read plenty of posts on here but I cant work out what to do next to fight these pirates, as most of the advice is for people who are not upto this stage.

Please help
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Oct 17, 2:22 PM
    • 16,119 Posts
    • 20,203 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:22 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:22 PM
    read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread near the top of this forum (no idea how you missed it)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 15,010 Posts
    • 23,583 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    What’s the date of the LBC? If 1 October or later does it comply with the following new pre-action protocol?

https://www.hilldickinson.com/insights/articles/new-pre-action-protocol-debt-claims

If dated prior to 1 October, what date did you receive it?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • mrbasketball
    • By mrbasketball 11th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrbasketball
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    thanks both, im reading through all of the second post. Blimey, feeling a bit out of my depth!

The letter is dated 4th October 2017 and I received it today.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 16,119 Posts
    • 20,203 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    as would any newbie not trained in the law, even some legal eagles dont study this side of the topics , so we all lelarn

as this is after 01 oct 2017 the new protocols above apply, even if they failed to meet them
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Androsian
    • By Androsian 19th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Androsian
    • 19th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 19th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    Thanks,
    I'm following this thread as received the same. I just wanted to ask if the reply should be sent by recorded delivery? Thanks again
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 19th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    • 3,994 Posts
    • 2,267 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 19th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    • 19th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    Thanks,
    I'm following this thread as received the same. I just wanted to ask if the reply should be sent by recorded delivery? Thanks again
    Originally posted by Androsian
    No. Never.

Get a Certificate of Posting from the Post Office counter.

If you have any further questions can you please start your own thread - that's after having looked in the NEWBIES thread for your answer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,206Posts Today

7,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin