Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nobile
    • By nobile 11th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 462Posts
    • 45Thanks
    nobile
    Mobile Phone no longer working - bought from AliExpress
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    Mobile Phone no longer working - bought from AliExpress 11th Oct 17 at 2:07 PM
    I bought a mobile phone from Ali Express about 4-5 months ago. Unfortunately it died...well, it overheated and then died.

I contacted Ali Express and created a 'ticket' & explained all the issues and sent them photos of the phone.

They spent a week asking if I was charging it to many times, or using the wrong cables and they even said I had too many Apps!

Finally, they said from the photos I submitted proved I was to blame for overcharging it!!!

End result - they've offered me $3 off my next order despite phone costing $100.

Any ideas of what I can do with them? It's very frustrating dealing with them at the moment

Thanks
    Last edited by nobile; 11-10-2017 at 2:08 PM. Reason: ok
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 59,570 Posts
    • 42,271 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    I bought a mobile phone from Ali Express about 4-5 months ago. Unfortunately it died...well, it overheated and then died.

I contacted Ali Express and created a 'ticket' & explained all the issues and sent them photos of the phone.

They spent a week asking if I was charging it to many times, or using the wrong cables and they even said I had too many Apps!

Finally, they said from the photos I submitted proved I was to blame for overcharging it!!!

End result - they've offered me $3 off my next order despite phone costing $100.

Any ideas of what I can do with them? It's very frustrating dealing with them at the moment

Thanks
    Originally posted by nobile
    Unfortunately I think you are likely to be stuck as you have no real way of suing a Chinese supplier. I assume you paid via their payment system, if that was funded via a credit card it might be worth asking your CC bank if they can chargeback the amount though.

AliExpress seems to have issues at the moment, I use them regularly but just recently they appear to have changed their dispute system and getting any sort of refunds is becoming very difficult.

Hopefully someone will log in who can offer more advice
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • nobile
    • By nobile 11th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    Unfortunately I think you are likely to be stuck as you have no real way of suing a Chinese supplier. I assume you paid via their payment system, if that was funded via a credit card it might be worth asking your CC bank if they can chargeback the amount though.

AliExpress seems to have issues at the moment, I use them regularly but just recently they appear to have changed their dispute system and getting any sort of refunds is becoming very difficult.

Hopefully someone will log in who can offer more advice
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thanks. You can't use PayPal on AliExpress. Will contact Amex & hope
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 12th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    I’d try your credit card, and use a UK supplier next time.
    It’s all well and good when it works, but frankly 5 months from a garbage £85 Chinese handset is longer than most last.
    • nobile
    • By nobile 12th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    I replied to voice my dissatisfaction with their insulting offer - their response was to say had it been damaged in 7 days, then it was the phones fault, but 4 months is my fault (because they can tell from the photo!!)

However a similar issue with Gearbest for a phone that died after 8 months - they offered a repair if we sent it back. Much more acceptable!

Lesson learned! Will call AMEX tomorrow as a final resort.
    Last edited by nobile; 12-10-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Chinatown
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 30,397 Posts
    • 19,220 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    I replied to voice my dissatisfaction with their insulting offer - their response was to say had it been damaged in 7 days, then it was the phones fault, but 4 months is my fault (because they can tell from the photo!!)

However a similar issue with Gearbest for a phone that died after 8 months - they offered a repair if we sent it back. Much more acceptable!

Always going to be an issue when buying expensive items via aliexpress.

You used a credit card so you could be ok.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 8,734 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:20 PM

Personally I'd stay away from gearbest.

On the contact us page they say they're a spanish company and give a spanish address yet their T&Cs state transactions are "processed by" a company in hong kong. Its never a good sign when a company isn't crystal clear about who they are and where they are.

What can I say, the consumer rights we have as part of the EU have spoiled me. Plus theres also a mountain of complaints about them. Fool & his money and all that.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • nobile
    • By nobile 4th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 4th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    No joy. AMEX said it had been more than 120 days since purchase date so legally nothing they could do. They did contact sellers but they told Amex where to go.

I think I'll send seller a turd in the post
    • Iamamom
    • By Iamamom 7th Nov 17, 5:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Iamamom
    • 7th Nov 17, 5:15 AM
    • 7th Nov 17, 5:15 AM
    That's sad to hear. But yeah, I believe financial institutions like AMEX will not honor that if it's past the 3 month rule for purchases online like this - internationally.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Nov 17, 8:08 AM
    • 26,212 Posts
    • 10,464 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I know what i would do in your situation but that is the risk with buying from China.

I tell everyone only buy what you can afford to throw away, I almost got bitten myself.
    Bought an item for a few hundred £, consignment was 2 boxes and when the first box arrived it was open at one end and totally empty. Delivery driver debliberately held it open side down when handing it over to my wife and she closed the door thinking it was light, then saw it was open and the driver had already gone. He didnt even ask for a signature.

2 item was having a holiday near Graceland, that turned up a few days later looking rather battered.

Luckily the courier wiped all costs and the seller resent the missing items.

Could have ended up much worse.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • bris
    • By bris 7th Nov 17, 10:56 AM
    • 7,087 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    bris
    If you want consumer rights buy from British companies.

Buy cheap buy twice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,773Posts Today

6,981Users online

Martin's Twitter