Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 11th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 1,417Posts
    • 2,550Thanks
    SamsReturn
    School gives out free alarm clocks.
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    School gives out free alarm clocks. 11th Oct 17 at 1:57 PM
    When you think about kids not getting up to go to school on time, you always think of those at the local Comp. But this is a £20k a year private girls school.
    So all kids must be the same.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41581994
    A school has handed out free alarm clocks to students in an effort to stop mobile phones interrupting their sleep.
    Heather Hanbury, head teacher at Lady Eleanor Holles in west London, advised parents to ban phones, televisions and computers from their children's bedrooms.
    "Students often claim they need their phone to wake them up in the morning," Mrs Hanbury told the BBC.
    But she said mobile phones were distracting them from sleeping.
Page 1
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4,797 Posts
    • 16,009 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    Its a good idea and clearly the school has the funds to do this. However, it really shouldn't be up to the school to do this!
    It should be the responsibility of the parents to make sure that their children are getting enough sleep!

Just another example of the parents of children not taking responsibility for their wellbeing!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 8,266 Posts
    • 27,675 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    I know a few full grown adults who could do with being given an alarm clock and having their phones taken off them.
    How do I apply?
    • colinw
    • By colinw 11th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 50,623 Posts
    • 138,283 Thanks
    colinw
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    I know a few full grown adults who could do with being given an alarm clock and having their phones taken off them.
    How do I apply?
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Not LateyMcGoatFace?
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 8,266 Posts
    • 27,675 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    Not LateyMcGoatFace?
    Originally posted by colinw
    Oh no, not him. He laughs in the face of time keeping devices.
    But Rushin Mchastyface would certainly benefit from one.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 11th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    How do I apply?
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    All you need to do is, enroll yourself in a £20k a year school.
    • bunk bed
    • By bunk bed 11th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    bunk bed
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    I can't believe parents are so stupid as to let their kids text and use the computer throughout the night. Well, I suppose I can.. sadly.
    • easy
    • By easy 11th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    easy
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    I don't understand how come parents who are willing to invest £20k per year in their child's education don't invest any time/effort in actually parenting their child.

Hubby and I worked very hard and went without holidays etc so we could afford to send our son to a private school. But we also made sure he was healthy, went to bed at proper times (and banned all tech from his bedroom), helped with homework, spent time during school holidays visiting museums/science festivals/other education supporting stuff, and giving him loving care.
    It never crossed my mind that getting him to school properly rested and on time wasn't our responsibility.

Isn't that all part of the parenting package?
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • poorly scammo
    • By poorly scammo 11th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 32,056 Posts
    • 66,674 Thanks
    poorly scammo
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    Some people use their phones as their alarm clocks so would argue that they need them by the bed. I cannot stand any electrical equipment in my bedroom. Any LEDs or faint humming noises keep me awake. I have an old fashioned wind up alarm clock which does the job. My phone stays downstairs.

As for whether the school should be buying them - absolutely not. Unfortunately this is another example of schools being almost forced to parent children. Schools exist to teach academic subjects the rest should be left to parents but increasing numbers seem to be abdicating responsibility, knowing others will pick up the slack.
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 7,331 Posts
    • 13,458 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Only time I use my mobile as an alarm is when I'm holiday. I go on those holidays where I need an alarm as set off early - organised coach tour holidays.

At home, I have 2 alarm clocks - a mains one and a battery one. As had in the past a powercut in the middle of the night which when the power came back on, the alarm wasn't set.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 4,797 Posts
    • 16,009 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Some people use their phones as their alarm clocks so would argue that they need them by the bed. I cannot stand any electrical equipment in my bedroom. Any LEDs or faint humming noises keep me awake. I have an old fashioned wind up alarm clock which does the job. My phone stays downstairs.
    Originally posted by poorly scammo
    How can a tiny LED keep you awake and a wind up clock ticking away not!!
    I had to change the clock downstairs in my house to one with a quieter tick as I could hear it upstairs!
    • bunk bed
    • By bunk bed 12th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    bunk bed
    How can a tiny LED keep you awake and a wind up clock ticking away not!!
    I had to change the clock downstairs in my house to one with a quieter tick as I could hear it upstairs!
    Originally posted by indesisiv

I quite like an old-fashioned tick-tock.

With electricals it could be the fear (rational or not) that the things might catch fire during the night.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 4,797 Posts
    • 16,009 Thanks
    indesisiv

I quite like an old-fashioned tick-tock.

With electricals it could be the fear (rational or not) that the things might catch fire during the night.
    Originally posted by bunk bed
    I had an old digital clock that you could hear tick. I was always worried it was one step away from blowing up! Didn't last long as it was one of those bright LED ones so I ended up taping over the numbers to make it not so bright!

I hate ticking clocks, but I think its because I have got so used to it being silent when I sleep. The only thing I can hear are the church bells about a mile or so away if the breeze is the right way.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 12th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 35,632 Posts
    • 143,010 Thanks
    tommix
    When you think about kids not getting up to go to school on time, you always think of those at the local Comp. But this is a £20k a year private girls school.
    So all kids must be the same.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41581994
    A school has handed out free alarm clocks to students in an effort to stop mobile phones interrupting their sleep.
    Heather Hanbury, head teacher at Lady Eleanor Holles in west London, advised parents to ban phones, televisions and computers from their children's bedrooms.
    "Students often claim they need their phone to wake them up in the morning," Mrs Hanbury told the BBC.
    But she said mobile phones were distracting them from sleeping.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Good timing..A wake up call to the alarming consequences associated with mobile phones!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,063Users online

Martin's Twitter