Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gravers007
    • By gravers007 11th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    gravers007
    Lease charge - missed service fee
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    Lease charge - missed service fee 11th Oct 17 at 1:24 PM
    Hi there,

I recently returned my lease car and was a bit surprised when I was hit with a £175 missed service charge.

After getting off the phone with them it turns out that the charge is because the vehicle should have had a service after 1 year. I thought it was 12,500 miles, but turns out its 12,500 OR 1 year (whichever comes first).

I had the service done at 18 months. paying extra for genuine ford parts. I appreciate that the mistake was mine, and that i should have had it serviced at 12 months. But to me it seems unfair that the charge is the same regardless of whether the service was done late or not at all. My thinking being is that the charge represents a loss of income to them as an unserviced car is worth less, and i don't think the same loss is incurred by a late service.

They've told me that they would review it, but I'm not holding my breath. Is there anything else I could/should do to minimise the charge?
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 11th Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 9,616 Posts
    • 10,776 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    Having the service carried out 6 month late could invalidate the manufacturers warranty (if there is one) and this could lead to a loss in resale value or a possible loss if anything fails on the vehicle which would have been covered by the warranty.
    • zooks
    • By zooks 11th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    zooks
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    I'm surprised its only £175 tbh.
    Its an easy mistake to make but you agreed to get it serviced on time when you signed up so they could have hammered you.
    I thought you are supposed to get it serviced using genuine parts anyway?

Maybe try asking for a goodwill gesture this time to keep your loyalty?
    • gravers007
    • By gravers007 11th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gravers007
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    You're both right, I feel really annoyed at myself for not checking the paperwork properly.

Yeah, it should be with genuine Ford parts rather than 3rd party brands. Just annoying to me that I paid extra for the Ford parts on top of the service. If I'd missed it completely I'd be better off!

I doubt they'd do it as a gesture of goodwill, they've been really unhelpful & unflexible during the term of the lease so don't expect that to change now!
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    marlot
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    Given you've invalidated the Ford warranty, I'm surprised the charge is so low.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 15,709 Posts
    • 14,025 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    Given you've invalidated the Ford warranty, I'm surprised the charge is so low.
    Originally posted by marlot
    ^ This, with bells on.

Look at it this way - if you were buying the car, would YOU pay the same (within £175) for a car with a 6mo late first service and an invalid warranty?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    Bargain, I would walk past that car and onto the next. Late and missed servicing = it must be really really cheap.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,676Users online

Martin's Twitter