Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 11th Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,212Posts
    • 2,163Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Do you remember getting 3d back on a bottle ?
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    Do you remember getting 3d back on a bottle ? 11th Oct 17 at 1:11 PM
    When we were kids we never got pocket money like they do today. One of the ways we got money for sweets was going around collecting empty bottles. Do you remember getting 3d for each one. I remember there were some shops who put all the bottles in crates at the back ........... some lads, not me of course would pinch a couple of empies then take them into the front to get money.
    I saw something on the news last week, to try and encourage more recycling shops were going to have machines which instead of selling drinks, would accept your empties and pay you for them.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4878480/Three-four-Britons-DRS-plastic-bottles.html
    Do you think the kids of today would bother, or would it be seen as not 'cool'. Think of all the litter it would stop.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 11th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 40,416 Posts
    • 80,738 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    I remember getting the deposit back on bottles. Often us kids were sent to the shop with the empties and told we could keep the money received.

As for machines where you get money for recycling bottles, we are a bit behind with this. I used such machines in Germany and Canada several years ago, so they are not new.
    The machine in Germany only accepted bottles if that particular brand/type was sold in the shop where the machine was sited.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 11th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 4,485 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    I don't remember getting 3d back on bottles, but I do remember 5p on corona bottles at our local shop in the 70's - and empties were stored in crates round the back by the bins (rich pickings for those of a braver disposition than me).
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    • 29,703 Posts
    • 109,153 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    Only on beer bottles from the local offie.

Weren't allowed to keep the money.

Don't remember money back on pop bottles, but then we never had pop, only orange squash that you diluted.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 22,631 Posts
    • 58,178 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    Oh, yes, on Corona pop.

The first few times we camped in France, 1978 and a number of years later, returning bottles was routine and essential to make the money last with the lousy exchange rate. The times when we could only take £50 p head were awkward, to say the least.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 12th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 8,527 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    I remember it well, the bottles had to have caps though, we always saved any caps we found on broken bottles and put them to and bottles we found without caps

I also saw plastic water bottles in America that had a 5cent return available in certain states and I think they still have a return available on Alu cans.

If there was a return on plastic bottles around here, I would make a fortune.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2701.5
    This week 69.7
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 12th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    . The times when we could only take £50 p head were awkward, to say the least.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I remember that £50. I didn't know about it when we were going.
    I was going camping to France with a girlfriend, in the car. First time either of us had been out of the Country. We were at the customs before getting on the ferry, and this man asked how much money we had. We both looked at each other a bit surprised. My girlfriend got her purse out and i was going through my pockets. The man must have realised we were both to naive to be smugglers, and said it didn't matter.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 3,176 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    I remember my Nanny going nuts at me because she'd put all the empties outside ready & I was playing football & broke 3 of them!!
    Hiraeth
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 15,181 Posts
    • 62,040 Thanks
    Judi
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    kids of today dont want pennies that they can get from collecting pop bottles they want the £s.

Years ago when i used to work at the high school the amount of loose change id see discarded was shocking. Never saw any £ coins though.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 29,703 Posts
    • 109,153 Thanks
    Pyxis

I also saw plastic water bottles in America that had a 5cent return available in certain states
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    How very fragrant!

(Sowee! Couldn't resist!)
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 12th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    As for machines where you get money for recycling bottles, we are a bit behind with this. I used such machines in Germany and Canada several years ago, so they are not new.
    The machine in Germany only accepted bottles if that particular brand/type was sold in the shop where the machine was sited.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Tescos in Redditch used to have a machine which gave you 1 clubcard point for every item you recycled but they removed it a few years ago. I've never seen one anywhere else
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin