Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaunandelly
    • By shaunandelly 11th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 11Thanks
    shaunandelly
    drug dealers
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    drug dealers 11th Oct 17 at 12:54 PM
    How is this money related? Well, protection of property prices I suppose. I live in a crescent and about 50% are are rental.A couple moved in to the end house this summer and there are almost daily visits of what appear to be drug dealers. Question is,best course of action? Eye contact has been made and I would think it wouldn't take much working out who dobbed them in so it needs to be an effective coup de grace. Opinions.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    But they aren't drug dealers? So what would dobbing them in do?

I mean you don't even know for sure what the visits are for - having previously dabbled I can suggest that drugs aren't typically bought on a daily basis.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 23,344 Posts
    • 88,961 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    it needs to be an effective coup de grace. Opinions.
    Originally posted by shaunandelly
    The punishment seems a little extreme for merely catching someone's eye in the street.

Or do you mean that you have to achieve an arrest and eviction first time around? Could be tricky if it turns out your 'drug dealers' are something innocuous.

Anyway, how would that prevent the sort of retaliation you seem concerned to avoid? We stopped sending criminals to Australia ages ago.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 5,937 Posts
    • 5,692 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    Opinions.
    You spend too much time monitoring your neighbours' activities.
    • westv
    • By westv 11th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,327 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    westv
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    I'm sure all it is is just an innocent brothel.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 9,628 Posts
    • 12,144 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Are you worried about drug addicts queuing up outside their house? About lowering the tone? Needles in the street? I'd be inclined to just ignore. Unless it affects me directly, let them inject, snort or smoke whatever they want. Their funeral. If people were hanging around an alley next to my house or outside, dropping needles or whatever, different matter.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    what appear to be drug dealers
    What do drug dealers look like?

I'm wondering how you would differentiate between a drug dealer and, for instance, a support worker?
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 11th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    [QUOTE=shaunandelly;73246587 almost daily visits of what appear to be drug dealers. [/QUOTE]

Wow, i did not know that there was a uniform they wear to easily identify from other undesirables that may visit residential areas. Do they wear a special badge that say's "stop me and toke one"?

It may that you have some evidence that would back up your claim that they are drug dealers that you have not mentioned in your post or it maybe that you are perhaps a little out of touch with the fashions of the youth of today, and through the rapid blur of the twitching net curtains perfectly normal and law abiding people look to your ageing eyes like Pablo Escobar? Think it would be best if you stick to watching bargain hunt and drinking horlicks
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    Reminds me of my a conversation I had with my elderly mum as we went through airport security.

She was grumbling as she'd been chosen to frisked and was asking did she look a terrorist.

At which point I asked her what a terrorist looked like as it would save a hell of lot of money for the security services
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 11th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    Opinions.
    Mine is that you are one of the worst types of neighbour someone could wish for.

Nosey, presumptuous and judgemental.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 11th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 5,048 Thanks
    societys child

• Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Comms69
    Near me we have a support group for people with addiction problems.

I know the chap that runs it, and he's a really lovely guy, but obviously has a long list of convictions etc.

I'd suggest that anyone who doesn't know him would jump to the same conclusions as the OP, but appearances can be deceiving.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 11th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    rtho782
    Wow, i did not know that there was a uniform they wear to easily identify from other undesirables that may visit residential areas. Do they wear a special badge that say's "stop me and toke one"?

It may that you have some evidence that would back up your claim that they are drug dealers that you have not mentioned in your post or it maybe that you are perhaps a little out of touch with the fashions of the youth of today, and through the rapid blur of the twitching net curtains perfectly normal and law abiding people look to your ageing eyes like Pablo Escobar? Think it would be best if you stick to watching bargain hunt and drinking horlicks
    Originally posted by ssparks2003
    Of course drug dealers wear uniforms. How do you think people procure drugs? Just walk up to random people in the street and ask if they have any drugs for sale?

You have to look for the secret uniforms.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    If it becomes a problem you could contact the landlord and he can think about not renewing their lease.
    That's about it, the police probably won't do anything.

A couple of years ago I helped my brother evict growers/dealers from his rented-out house. Neighbours contacted me because it was a problem for everyone.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Can you let me know the address, I'm running low.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 11th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Oh dear, sounds like your street has really gone to pot.
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 11th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 7,481 Thanks
    mrginge
    Have you considered hiring the A team?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Oct 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 4,111 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Question is,best course of action? Eye contact has been made and I would think it wouldn't take much working out who dobbed them in so it needs to be an effective coup de grace. Opinions.
    If you can get hold of one a WE.177 might be the best and most effective 'first time lucky' option, but it might have an adverse affect on property prices in your street too.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 9,628 Posts
    • 12,144 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Just wondering what the 'rental' bit has got to do with anything. Do you mean you wonder if you should approach their LL, or that they are attracting 'different sorts of people to the homeowners'?!
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 8,142 Posts
    • 27,212 Thanks
    fairy lights
    What lovely and kind drug dealers they have, to make daily home visits! You just can't get that sort of service these days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,306Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin