Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 11th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 22Thanks
    bewildered1
    Car
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    Car 11th Oct 17 at 12:51 PM
    A question for those that have had to give up their car due to getting an IPA.

Have you managed to buy and run another car on just the £20 per month left over after being given IPA?
    I'm really struggling at the thought of not have a car for 3 years but can't see how I would be able to afford one.
Page 1
    • haggis0073
    • By haggis0073 11th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    haggis0073
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    It's my understanding that if you have to give your car up due to it being a high value then the OR would allow you up to £1000 from the sale to buy a new one and the running costs would be calculated into your soa

I may be wrong and if so someone will be along to correct me
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 11th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    If the O.R agrees that you have a need for a car (not a want) you will be allowed a car around the £1,000 mark, and your running costs will be allowed.
    Not sure what you mean by the £20 figure?
    An I.P.A is when you have £20 spare after all your living costs, the I.P.A will also include this £20.
    If you are not allowed running costs of a car you would have to find this by cutting back on other things.
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 11th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bewildered1
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    Yes I meant the £20 left over after living costs.

I have been offered a position but it's about a 35 mile round trip. Part of the role will entail occasional visits to other sites for which I will be paid expenses for fuel. I would hope to be able to keep my car for this.

However another job has come up. It's a company I have worked for before and I quite enjoyed my time there. However it's only about a mile away from home. Because of this I can't see any reason why the OR would allow me to keep my car.

Also, if I do take the job closer to home I will have a income surplus and will no doubt be given an IPA whereas if I can argue keeping the car for the original job there's a good chance I won't get an IPA.

That's why I was wondering if/how people managed to buy another car whilst they have an IPA.
    Not sure I could find the funds to buy and run a car by cutting back on other things.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 12th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    Hi, only you can make the decision which job would be the best choice for you long term.
    Although I will add your expenses claimed for fuel will be yours to keep and do not become a part of your income.
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 12th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bewildered1
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    I'm erring on the side of taking the job further away as it will mean I hopefully won't get an IPA. At least then I can look to earn more money after I'm discharged rather than losing almost all of it for 3 years.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 30,425 Posts
    • 19,233 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    Which job would you prefer to take ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 12th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bewildered1
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    The one closer to home, however I'm think perhaps I would dislike having an IPA more than having to work in a job that I don't particularly want to do. I suppose beggars can't be choosers though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

5,981Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin