Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 11th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 480Posts
    • 193Thanks
    dunroving
    Daft question - how to "hold" an 8-inch tablet?
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    Daft question - how to "hold" an 8-inch tablet? 11th Oct 17 at 12:29 PM
    I am now the proud owner of an 8 inch Kindle Fire. So far, very pleased with it. The only thing I struggle with is how to hold it securely while I am reading it.

I mainly bought it to read my newspaper subscription, plus occasional casual browsing of YouTube, th'interWeb, etc. I find my phone (Samsung Note 3) is a bit too small for this, and my laptop isn't convenient.

Here are what I am finding are the problems with holding one-handed:

1) Screen is very smooth/slippy, so doesn't feel very secure in my hand.

2) In association with the above, the screen border is just a little too narrow - I find if I try to get a secure grip, I keep accidentally touching the live part of the screen with my finger/thumb, triggering actions I didn't want to.

3) The width of the tablet is just that little too big to hold from the back (i.e., in the way I typically hold my phone). I can hold it this way, but it is a stretch (literally; my hand is just slightly too small)

4) The Amazon case doesn't lend itself to giving a "handle", so to speak.

I have seen some tablet cases that do have a handle/strap for this purpose. At the moment, although I like the Amazon case, I am thinking of returning it and exchanging for one with a strap. I also looked at the "bumper" cases, as these have big round knobs to hold onto - but I didn't want a case that said "Amazon Kids" on the back!

On reflection, the 7 inch Kindle might have been a better size - large enough screen for what I want, but narrow enough to hold "from behind", like a phone. Hindsight is 20/20, as the saying goes.

Yes, I know I could hold it two-handed, but for casual reading I really prefer to hold one-handed.I used to have a 10-inch Asus tablet and didn't find that easy for casual reading because it definitely was a "two-hander", which is why I decided to get a smaller tablet this time.
Page 1
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 11th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    Mista_C
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    I had a similar problem but managed to find a case with a front cover that rolls up onto the back as a stand and that I can use like a handle.

Like this...

• RumRat
    • By RumRat 11th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    THIS or THIS Solution for a couple of quid?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 11th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    I rue the demise of the sub-7" tablets. For reasons of economy, I use separate SIMs (and devices) for telephony and internet so don't need or even want the phone facility on a large-screen phone.
    Why can't I buy a tablet that fits in my inside pocket?

THIS or THIS Solution for a couple of quid?
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I'm not sure that I can trust as competent any seller who states We Ship to Worldwide, except China and so on.
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 11-10-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 12th Oct 17, 12:32 AM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:32 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:32 AM
    I'm not sure that I can trust as competent any seller who states We Ship to Worldwide, except China and so on.
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    Never had one foul up yet and they always surprise how fast they get stuff here from China.
    How is your Chinese? I've never let a translation influence anything, that's just being a bit middle England.
    Each to their own, If you are that sensitive you could go for the one from Brum....
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    I have a Kindle Fire 7". It is fitted into a standard Kindle Fire case with flip over magnetic "latch" to hold it closed over the screen. With the lid flipped back it has a soft-feel, secure texture that makes holding the Fire easy.

I tend to rest mine on the palm of my left hand, with my thumb and little finger catching opposite edges of the case. YMMV depending on the size of your hands.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am currently using the Fire to type this reply. I have found one or two variations on the "strap" theme. One in particular hooks into the top and bottom of the tablet using nylon covered hooks a bit like those you find on a bungee cord.

Have also done a bit more research on the dimensions of the Fire 7 and 8. The 8 is 12.8 cm wide and 369 gm. The 7 is 11.5 cm wide and 295 gm. In comparison my trusty old Kindle e-reader is 12.4 cm wide and 240 gm.

I have been persevering with the 8 for a couple of days. I'm currently laid up on my back recuperating so lots of free time! I am really finding the 8 just that little bit wide and heavy to hold one handed for any length of time. I intend to stick with it for a while but am also wondering about Amazon's returns policy in a situation like this. Considering I will use it constantly in retirement, it needs to be fit for purpose. That's the only thing I don't like about online shopping. If I had the chance to handle it beforehand I think I would have plumped for the 7.
    • London50
    • By London50 12th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    London50
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/281719490261?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=451923903 62&rlsatarget=pla-331477173252&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=1 07435947&poi=&googleloc=9044953&device=c&campaigni d=861899495&crdt=0
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    That doesn't really serve the purpose of what I'm looking for, as it's not portable. I'm trying to achieve one-handed operation of a tablet, not a rest or stand for the tablet.
    • London50
    • By London50 12th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    London50
    OK, it was just a thought,sorry
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4,370 Posts
    • 5,701 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Did you read the newspaper one handed?
    Don't be angry!
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    dunroving
    OK, it was just a thought,sorry
    Originally posted by London50
    No worries; I actually have a couple of "lap trays" similar to that one, that I sue for my laptop or occasionally, for my dinner!

Did you read the newspaper one handed?
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    No, but then again I also didn't carry a library of paperbacks in my suitcase when I travelled. Times have changed. Technology moves on and enables us to do things differently.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 16th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    How is your Chinese? I've never let a translation influence anything, that's just being a bit middle England.
    If you are that sensitive ....
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I don't think you've read it properly. I was criticizing a site which discriminated against the Chinese!
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    RumRat
    I don't think you've read it properly. I was criticizing a site which discriminated against the Chinese!
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    Apologies.... There will be some fiscal reason for the non shipment to China. I've seen a few Chinese sites that state that.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,171Posts Today

6,858Users online

Martin's Twitter