Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nickwoodward
    • By nickwoodward 11th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nickwoodward
    Moving house and no Infinity 2 availability
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    Moving house and no Infinity 2 availability 11th Oct 17 at 12:21 PM
    Hi all,

Just wondering what BT's stance is RE my infinity 2 contract. I'm in the process of moving house, and have just found out their speed checker site claims that there is only 3-7mb download available, which seems ridiculous in Reading. Obviously I'll give them a call and find out from them, but I was hoping that some of you have some experience with this and might be able to prime me on what to expect.

To complicate matters I also took out a discounted mobile contract with them as an Infinity customer.

Hopefully the speed checker is wrong!

Thanks,

Nick
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 11th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    Reading is a big place. Used to have Virgin Media. I live in the centre and now have BT Infinity. Where about (roughly) are you? Is Virgin Media not available where you are.
    • nickwoodward
    • By nickwoodward 11th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nickwoodward
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    Im in battle place, the new builds by the 24hr tescos on Oxford road.

I'm currently under contract with BT though. Virgin being available would be good, but not if I'm tied in. Sam knows says fibre is available on my exchange, but BTs site says otherwise, although I've know it to be wrong.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 11th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    I also live along the Oxford Road, near the old snooker hall now a church. Maybe the local box is just full?
    • wunferall
    • By wunferall 11th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    wunferall
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    As above, there is a possibility that the local box is full.
    There are ways to check if BT intends to increase capacity and also watch to see when the status for your cabinet changes so that you could place an order.
    • nickwoodward
    • By nickwoodward 11th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nickwoodward
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    turns out it isn't full - the exchange is only enabled in certain areas. mine's "coming in the next few months"

so the options are :

1. sign up for 12 months btbroadband. £2 cheaper for a 10th (or less) of the performance. this would then allow me to re-sign up for infinity when it came to the area - at a higher price than I pay now (because why would they let me upgrade mid contract at a decent rate).

2. pay £27 to block the phone line at my old property and continue being charged

3. cut the phone line with a knife (my suggestion) and continue being charged.

----------------

4. and here's the kicker - after a 20 minute phone call I asked the rep straight out - if you can't provide the level of service agreed are you breaking the contract, so can I cancel with no termination fees?

answer - yes. my mobile goes up by £5 a month, but yes.

..... lost for words.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 11th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    Playing devils advocate, it's you breaking the terms of the contract by moving not BT..if you were with Virgin , and moved to an area that wasn't 'cabled' by VM you would have to pay VM early termination charges if you were still within the minimum term...with BT they offer some type of service at every address, or allow you to leave penalty free.
    Obviously if you new you were moving home , signing up to a minimum term that went passed the moving date was an error, and if fast broadband is essential , checking the address before deciding to move to it may have been wise
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 11th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    tastyhog
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    turns out it isn't full - the exchange is only enabled in certain areas. mine's "coming in the next few months"

so the options are :

1. sign up for 12 months btbroadband. £2 cheaper for a 10th (or less) of the performance. this would then allow me to re-sign up for infinity when it came to the area - at a higher price than I pay now (because why would they let me upgrade mid contract at a decent rate).

2. pay £27 to block the phone line at my old property and continue being charged

3. cut the phone line with a knife (my suggestion) and continue being charged.

----------------

4. and here's the kicker - after a 20 minute phone call I asked the rep straight out - if you can't provide the level of service agreed are you breaking the contract, so can I cancel with no termination fees?

answer - yes. my mobile goes up by £5 a month, but yes.

..... lost for words.
    Originally posted by nickwoodward

2. no such thing, the new tenant / owner is free to take over the line if they wish, you have no say.

3. illegal and you'll get a criminal damage charge for damaging Openreach property, along with a bill for replacing the phone line.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

3,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin