Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eddajd
    • By Eddajd 11th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Eddajd
    So angry 😡
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    So angry 😡 11th Oct 17 at 12:15 PM
    In 2003 me and my hubby bought our first house. As my husband
    (a bricklayer) had only the year before gone self employed we used an independent mortgage advisor from Warners financial services to set up our mortgage. At the time he insisted we have PPI to be safe. The cover included employment cover knowing full well I only worked a few hours a week and my husband was self employed. Over the years we have paid £1000's to Aviva for the PPI. Then when a family friend warned us we weren't covered we immediately cancelled the insurance. Over the years I have tried to claim the money back but Aviva say as they weren't the actual ones who sold it to us they arent responsible. But the insurance was with them and they are the ones who have received our money every month knowing we weren't covered. The ombudsman have decided the same and as Warners financial services weren't regulated at the time it was took out they don't have to pay either. This seems so unfair. has anyone else been in this situation?
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 11th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    You cannot complain to Aviva for mis-selling because they didn't sell you the PPI, they've done nothing wrong.

As you said, you were mis-sold by the advisor, but because they were not regulated, there is no basis to complain. It sucks, but you can't break a rule that you weren't signed up to comply with, legally speaking.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 89,880 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    The cover included employment cover knowing full well I only worked a few hours a week and my husband was self employed.
    Self employment is not an issue.
    You may be if you were named on the policy and were offered protection under it (it may have been set up 100/0 with your spouse 100 and you nil).

Then when a family friend warned us we weren't covered we immediately cancelled the insurance.
    Di they family friend actually check or did they just tell you without checking first? Most standalone regular premium PPI does cover the self employed. This is not the same as loan/credit card PPI where it often doesnt or has more onerous terms. Most regular premium PPI plans do not succeed on the complaint. Often because assumptions made in the complaint do not apply.

Over the years I have tried to claim the money back but Aviva say as they weren't the actual ones who sold it to us they arent responsible.
    That is correct.

But the insurance was with them and they are the ones who have received our money every month knowing we weren't covered.
    Why would they think you are not covered?
    The ombudsman have decided the same and as Warners financial services weren't regulated at the time it was took out they don't have to pay either.
    Also correct.

This seems so unfair.
    Aviva have done nothing wrong. So, its not unfair.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter