Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 11th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 567Posts
    • 360Thanks
    diamond dave
    Tenant getting Married
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    Tenant getting Married 11th Oct 17 at 12:06 PM
    Hi All, I am renting a house to a lovely lady who has been a brilliant tenant,really looked after the place. A while ago she asked me whether it would be ok if her boyfriend moved in. I said yes, but nothing about the tenancy agreement. She is due to get married soon and I need to know where I stand re the agreement as I guess she will want to change her name.As she has been the best tenant I've had don't want any problems but I need to protect myself. I'm guessing that I will prob. need to issue a new tenancy agreement in both their names.Is this correct? The tenancy is a periodic one. Any suggestions please.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    Literally you don't need to do anything.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 11th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    aneary
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    I guess she will want to change her name..
    Originally posted by diamond dave
    Why do you think this? Has she said so?
    • anselld
    • By anselld 11th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 5,314 Posts
    • 4,844 Thanks
    anselld
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    Protect yourself from what?
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 11th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    pinklady21
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    I had a similar situation last year when my exemplary tenant let me know that she would be getting married. She asked me if I would add her husband to the tenancy. Her tenancy is outside the initial Short Assured period, and is continuing to run on a month to month basis. I had a think about it, but in the end decided to do nothing. The only issue I can think of that may arise is if they split, she leaves the property and I then have to decide what to do about him. Other than that, I have simply left things alone, the rent continues to be paid, and while there are now two of them in the property and potentially more wear and tear, that is something I am prepared to live with.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 11th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    When a person gets married the first time there's no official change that happens, the marriage certificate means they can henceforth be known by either name so any previous documentation is still just as valid.

They may have their own reasons for wanting the husband to be added perhaps (showing joint residence was very important to us) so they may ask for that down the line but otherwise, just carry on as is!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 41,459 Posts
    • 47,840 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    No need to do anythng about her name change.

You could suggest adding her husband to the TA, but it's up to mutual agreement. If you do, either

* brand new tenancy agreement in joint names, which could be a new Fixed Term for whatever length you/they agree, or could be a Contractual Periodic tenancy

* or Execute a Deed of Assignment, assigning their joint names in plce of her sole name, on the existing contract.

Have a chat with them at the next inspection.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 11th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    diamond dave
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    As always, great advice from u all. Thank you very much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,633Posts Today

6,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin