Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 11th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 43Thanks
    BaileySJ
    TV Recess make good?
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    TV Recess make good? 11th Oct 17 at 12:03 PM
    Hi - we have just sold our flat and are moving in 2 weeks time.

I have filled and sanded all picture holes and painted over.

We also have a TV mounted into a recess on an internal stud wall - when removed it leaves a fairly 'ugly' hole compared to the rest of the wall.

What is the legal standpoint on this? We had not agreed to leave the TV but will do if I am required to fill and make-good the recess it leaves.

Kind regards
Page 1
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 11th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    Hi - we have just sold our flat and are moving in 2 weeks time.

I have filled and sanded all picture holes and painted over.

We also have a TV mounted into a recess on an internal stud wall - when removed it leaves a fairly 'ugly' hole compared to the rest of the wall.

What is the legal standpoint on this? We had not agreed to leave the TV but will do if I am required to fill and make-good the recess it leaves.

Kind regards
    Originally posted by BaileySJ
    I don't know what the legal situation is, but from experience as a "recipient" of this situation, I'd suggest asking the buyers what they prefer. The person I bought my house from "fixed" the holes in the chimney breast from his TV, but "bodged" would be a better description. He also bodged a load of other DIY stuff, of which this was one example.

Some buyers may be very good at DIY themselves and would rather fix it, or get it fixed themselves. The problem with someone else's "fix" is that you don't know what is behind the fix (was it done correctly? safely? etc.)

The buyer might just say "leave it", or "I'll get it sorted if you give me £25 for materials", the latter of which may be your preference also (save you the hassle).
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 6,263 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    What is the legal standpoint on this?
    Originally posted by BaileySJ
    Whatever your contract says. Check with your solicitor if you don't know or don't understand it. It's possibly your buyers hadn't really thought about it either, in which case you might want to check what they'd prefer to save the hassle of a complaint after completion.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    If you have already removed the TV, send your buyer a photo.
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 11th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    BaileySJ
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    Thanks all - yeah it totally slipped my mind and should have brought this up during the conveyancing, it's only when we came to start boxing up that it occurred to me. I'll speak to the solicitor - worst case they can have the TV to be honest.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5,542 Posts
    • 5,228 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    Did you fill in a fixtures, fittings and contents form (TA10 or equivalent)?

That usually asks you to tick against "Television Receiver" - Included, Excluded or None.

If you ticked 'Excluded' - and the buyers then failed to check/notice that it was in a recess and that it was bolted to the wall, I can't see that you have any liability.

(Just like if you said that a cooker was excluded, the buyers couldn't really then complain that there is a gap in the kitchen units where the cooker used to be.)

I guess you could highlight it to the buyers - but that can sometimes turn a 'non-issue' into an 'issue'. (e.g. You ask them what they would like you to do, and they have a think and then come back with unreasonable requests etc.)
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 23,680 Posts
    • 89,648 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    If the hole is to allow non-visible access for wires to the TV, might they not also possibly want it left for theirs?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • kram
    • By kram 11th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    kram
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    If its a hole for where the wires go I would put a dry lining box in & blanking plate to tidy it up. If it's for holes where it has been bolted then you could use something like gyproc easi fill.

As long as you have taken reasonable steps to tidy it up then you should not have any problems, the buyer would know that their will be something there when they saw the tv on the wall, personally I would not get stressed about it as they may re-decorate it anyway.

I hope you get it sorted.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 11th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    chappers
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    From the OPs description it sounds like it is a TV sized recess built into the wall.
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it. chances are they will have a TV that will either fit into it or cover it. there are always a few surprises when you move into your new unfurnished house.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 23,680 Posts
    • 89,648 Thanks
    Davesnave
    And if it's a large recess, not a 'hole,' then it was visible during viewings and shouldn't be a surprise, even if it is, if you see what I mean!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,465Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter