Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dpat
    • By dpat 11th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dpat
    Tenant deposit issue
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    Tenant deposit issue 11th Oct 17 at 11:48 AM
    I recently sold my property and am holding a deposit which i need to transfer to the new owner.

I have an issue that i have about £300 of unpaid water bills which i left in my name for some reason. Initially i was also late in registering the deposit which may be a downfall in claiming this. I do not want to make a claim from the tenant for £300 and then have them take me to court for not securing the deposit in time.

They were constantly late in paying rent and also are now ignoring my messages and calls to come to a solution. Do you think i have grounds to raise a dispute? Is it worth the hassle?
Page 1
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 11th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    The tenancy agreement is unaffected by the house sale, the new owner just steps in your shoes as the landlord, with the responsibility to return the deposit at the end of the tenancy and fulfill the deposit protection requirements. You can agree transferring the deposit / compensation for an upcoming penalty between you and the new owner.

Has the tenancy agreement been mutually terminated and a new one signed by the tenant and new landlord? If not, any deposit deductions / disputes are premature.

Re water bills, has the tenant agreed to compensate you for water bills (e.g. through the tenancy agreement?) If not, notify the water company of the tenant's move in date, they may re issue bills in their name. However you'll struggle with meter readings.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    I recently sold my property and am holding a deposit which i need to transfer to the new owner.

I have an issue that i have about £300 of unpaid water bills which i left in my name for some reason. - that was foolish. Initially i was also late in registering the deposit which may be a downfall in claiming this. - And again! I do not want to make a claim from the tenant for £300 and then have them take me to court for not securing the deposit in time.

They were constantly late in paying rent and also are now ignoring my messages and calls to come to a solution. Do you think i have grounds to raise a dispute? Is it worth the hassle?
    Originally posted by dpat
    No, because you stand to lose a minimum of 1x the deposit value + fees.
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 11th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    As long as you have secured the deposit you'll be fine. Make a claim for the £300 or you'll be stuck paying it. Just make sure you have documentation to say that it's the tenants responsibility
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    As long as you have secured the deposit you'll be fine. Make a claim for the £300 or you'll be stuck paying it. Just make sure you have documentation to say that it's the tenants responsibility
    Originally posted by Wanderingpomm

Why on earth are you giving such incorrect information?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 15,943 Posts
    • 39,733 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    You've made a lot of errors, you need to take the fall for these, or risking to lose a lot more. I'd forget about the £300.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    Originally posted by Wanderingpomm
    Wrong.....
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    Is it worth the hassle?
    Originally posted by dpat
    No........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin