Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JordanB
    • By JordanB 11th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JordanB
    Do i need money in my account for hotel to do Pre-authorization?
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    Do i need money in my account for hotel to do Pre-authorization? 11th Oct 17 at 11:43 AM
    Hi,

Im staying at a hotel tomorrow night for 2 nights until saturday morning. The hotel takes a pre-authorization payment when i arrive. However, i do not have the full amount of money i need for my stay until friday, when i get paid.

Do i need the full amount of money in my bank account or the hotel to do a pre-authorization on my booking? or does it not matter until they take the money after my stay?
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 5,886 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    The pre-authorisation seeks to earmark funds at the time it's done, so if the money isn't there then the bank would only approve the transaction if you have enough of an overdraft facility to cover it, do you?

Too late now obviously if you don't already have one but this is a good reason to use a credit card for this purpose, as the money being ring-fenced would then effectively be the bank's rather than yours....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter