Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AshNaz
    • By AshNaz 11th Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AshNaz
    Advice Please on Failure to Pay for the Duration of Stay
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    Advice Please on Failure to Pay for the Duration of Stay 11th Oct 17 at 11:36 AM
    Hello all,

Newbie here on MSE. I would appreciate it if any of you could be of any assistance.

As the registered keeper of the vehicle, my car was parked in a car park operated by Local Parking Security, where the first 30 minutes is free. The location was the Premier Inn Hotel on Bath Road, near Heathrow. The car also overstayed by almost three hours.

I have appealed the Parking Charge Notice and they have rejected it. I now have to take my case to POPLA. I find the discounted £50 they are asking to be excessive and am curious if such companies accept a gesture of goodwill payment.

I will now attempt to upload the emails and original parking fine letter.

Thank you
    Last edited by AshNaz; 11-10-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: upload file
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    Did the driver have a legitimate reason for being there that long?

If so, it would be a good idea to ask the hotel to cancel the invoice.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 11th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    .....am curious if such companies accept a gesture of goodwill payment.
    Originally posted by AshNaz

No very unlikely unless they are in the wrong, these are greedy incentivised scammers you are dealing with not nice benevolent businesses!

How on earth did you fail to realise this is a pay and display car park, you just can't near any airport site for three hours for free!
    Last edited by fisherjim; 11-10-2017 at 1:07 PM.
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • AshNaz
    • By AshNaz 12th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AshNaz
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    The driver didn't have a legitimate reason to stay that long per se.

The keeper has received a Parking Charge Notice and not a Notice to Keeper (NTK). Should an NTK be sent first or is it sent when the payment has not been made after a certain period?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 14,919 Posts
    • 23,387 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    The driver didn't have a legitimate reason to stay that long per se.

The keeper has received a Parking Charge Notice and not a Notice to Keeper (NTK). Should an NTK be sent first or is it sent when the payment has not been made after a certain period?
    When you say ‘Parking Charge Notice’, was that placed on the windscreen, or received via post?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • AshNaz
    • By AshNaz 12th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AshNaz
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    When you say ‘Parking Charge Notice’, was that placed on the windscreen, or received via post?
    It was sent through the post.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,003 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    That letter will be a NTK

Read up in the newbies faq thread near the top of the page on POPLA appeals

Construct your appeal and put it up here for comments (You cannot use "the charge is too much" as your appeal!)
    • AshNaz
    • By AshNaz 12th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AshNaz
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    Will do, thank you @Quentin.

Do you think it is worth appealing? Tonight is the deadline and as I am not sure whether to go ahead or not, it would be reassuring to know if similar appeals have been successful.
    Last edited by AshNaz; 12-10-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    Tonight is the deadline...
    Don't you get 28 days to submit a POPLA appeal?

What progress have you made in the last month?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,003 Thanks
    Quentin
    Will do, thank you @Quentin.

Do you think it is worth appealing? Tonight is the deadline and as I am not sure whether to go ahead or not, it would be reassuring to know if similar appeals have been successful.
    POPLA is your last chance to kill it off.

So don't waste it

Otherwise you face 6 years of harassing from debt collectors (ignore them) or a court claim during those 6 years which will take up more time and effort to deal with
    • AshNaz
    • By AshNaz 12th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AshNaz
    Don't you get 28 days to submit a POPLA appeal?
    Yes, but tonight is the deadline before the discounted price ends.

I have another two weeks to go to submit an appeal to POPLA.

So, would you advise me to forego the discounted rate and appeal to POPLA?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    KeithP

I would certainly suggest you forget about paying anything.

Isn't that why you started posting on this board in the first place?

£50, £100, £1000... what does it matter if your are not going to pay anything?

It would be a good idea for you to blank out the PCN number from that photo, together with the precise timings.
    The PCN number appears at least three times.
    That information is enough to uniquely identify your incident and PPCs trawl forums looking for people to trip themselves up.
    Last edited by KeithP; 12-10-2017 at 3:30 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,003 Thanks
    Quentin
    You need to edit that photo (#12) and remove all the identifying info it contains

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 14,919 Posts
    • 23,387 Thanks
    Umkomaas

You have a chance of winning at POPLA and paying nothing. If POPLA finds against you, you still don’t have to pay the PPC, the decision is not binding on you. Only a judge can tell you to pay the PPC - that is if the PPC actually commences court action, and new rules introduced from 1/10/17 makes this a much more complex process for them.

Send the PPC £50 and you’ve lost - whichever way you view it. Once it’s paid, it’s paid, a POPLA appeal, even if successful won’t recover that money.

The choice on which way to go on this is entirely yours.

Send them £50 and be done with it, but in the process fund them to continue harassing others, including old ladies, the vulnerable, hospital sick and dying, those for whom a PCN is the equivalent of two weeks of food budget, meaning spells with not much food or drink.

Or you fight it. But you’ll need to up your game to research it all and get to some appeal points that help you, but the parking event circumstances could be a bit of a hurdle to get over.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 12th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    fisherjim

It's not a discount it's a bribe to get you to cough up without a fuss.

It does appear from your comments that the driver thought they could get away without paying the £10 pay and display charge, (this is not a 10-20minute overstay is it?) which is exactly why these scumbags get engaged.

You have also been told to edit the unique details out of your linked image as it is giving away everything to the scammers, who regularly scan these forums for evidence!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • AshNaz
    • By AshNaz 12th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AshNaz
    Thank you guys. Will take on board all the advice you have given.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,672Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin