Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TerFar
    • By TerFar 11th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TerFar
    Heating off or on...
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    Heating off or on... 11th Oct 17 at 11:07 AM
    I thought I would post my experience with a 2-bedroom flat rented out. The tenants (jolly good couple) were both out from 7am to 7pm and always turned off the heating.
    After a year, they started to note mould spots on the bathroom ceiling and around window reveals.
    I had long intended to add insulation to the loft (it is a top floor flat) as it only had typical 1980s 4" mineral fibre - now quite flattened. I installed another 10" of modern insulation. The tenants reported that the flat seemed much warmer.
    But after another winter, the mould had become really bad. So I had someone come in and investigate and advise the best solution.
    The mould was down to the tenants leaving the flat to get very cold during the day and even colder at night when they were in bed. So when the tenants were on holiday, the whole flat was cleaned of mould, protected and redecorated throughout.
    They were persuaded to leave the central heating on 24/7, but turning down the thermostat to 15 degrees when they went out and when they went to bed. It was pointed out that after a night's sleep, their bedroom window was covered in condensation through natural breathing. After both have a shower, the bathroom was also full of condensation and residual water. Often the kitchen was steamy after making breakfast too. Because they turned off the heating and closed all the windows, the temperature plunged and everything remained wet. Oh how mould loves cold, damp conditions.
    But now they keep the heating on, this doesn't happen. So to keep away condensation (a known health hazard), don't leave your home to get so cold. It may cost more to heat, but it saved £2.5k decorating bill every couple of years.
Page 1
    • Chimpofdoom
    • By Chimpofdoom 11th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Chimpofdoom
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    Dehumidifier would also have helped.

As do paragraphs.
    To the internet.. I need to complain about something!
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 11th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 1,879 Thanks
    matelodave
    Dont forget than lack of ventilation will also increase the likelihood of mould.

Fitting an extractor to the bathroom & kitchen will cost a lot less than keeping the house warm all day and all night and opening a window or two to get the air circulating costs nothing.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 3,264 Posts
    • 6,004 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    ...but it saved £2.5k decorating bill every couple of years.
    Originally posted by TerFar
    £2.5k to decorate?

Ignoring the point that you'll probably need to do some redecorating between tenants regardless of mould, contract emulsion costs £30 for 15 litres from a well known DIY store. Some mould killer, brushes and a day of your time is considerably less than £2.5k.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin