Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Josh2205
    • By Josh2205 11th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Josh2205
    Help with ticket
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    Help with ticket 11th Oct 17 at 10:32 AM
    Hi, I hope someone can help. Iím currently a student who uses a carpark three days per week for college and I have done for over a year now and I pay online. Iíve been given two tickets in the past which were cancelled as I had paid and they blamed a system error with their software.

Back in June my car was stolen so I promptly deleted the registration from my account as I no longer had the car and it was registered stolen with the police.

On 27/09/17 I parked up at 8:30 and paid online as usual, I got a notification from my bank confirming the payment had gone through so all was well.

After studying at college I returned to my car to find that I had been given a parking ticket for not paying. Which I knew I had.

Several hours later I received the email confirmation from the parking provider with my receipt (Iím not sure why it always takes 4-5 hours to receive the confirmation email). The email showed that the ticket was purchased for my old registration which I had previously removed from my account. (Thereís only my current vehicle on my account as I mentioned previously I deleted the stolen one)

I promptly contacted the car park operator (PHOENIX PARKING based in Birmingham). I provided them with all of the information along with the proof from my bank that the payment had been made and also lined up with all of the other weeks when I park and pay on the same days. They acknowledged that they had received an appeal and then a week later I received an email saying I had to pay the fine and that they had totally disregarded and ignored the information that I had provided to them. Upon questioning why they had ignored my appeal they quite rudely said that they donít accept re appeals...

I have also suggested that they look at the cctv to further prove that what I am saying lined up and is in fact correct.

I have proof that I have paid and I canít be blamed for a system error, thereís nothing more that I could have done.

I hope that someone can help me and suggest what I should do as this is really stressing me out and Iím frustrated as I have clear proof that I have paid.
Page 1
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    You can write til you're blue in the face, they've rejected what you said.

Options:
    a. Ignore until you get a LBC. The limitation period is 6 years - during this time you will receive various threatening letters, keep them all. Make sure that when you move you update your details and have post forwarded, and tell the PPC (to avoid a CCJ at a previous address).
    b. At LBC stage, reply with what you've said above. No debt due, you paid, it's their system error (and with an explanation of the previous errors showing the system is unreliable). Tell them you'll make a counterclaim for breach of your DPA rights and breach of S.1 of Protection from Harassment Act.
    c. If they issue proceedings, defend on the basis you paid and it was their own system error and rely on the evidence of previous system errors. And counterclaim (see below).

a. Write now with a LBC putting them on notice of a breach of your rights under the DPA. Your LBC must contain all information, explaining the background and the basis of your claim and what evidence you will rely on (which must be enclosed). Tell them to stop processing your data and to destroy it.
    b. Then either same as 1 a above or actually issue against them seeking damages and an injunction (you'll probably choose a).

Whichever option you choose, make sure you gather and keep all your evidence to show you paid, the theft of your car, your de-registration, your registration of your new car, previous admissions of system error etc etc.
    • Josh2205
    • By Josh2205 13th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Josh2205
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    Thank you!
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    Thank you for your help! Iím currently in the process of compiling my evidence along with a written statement.

The carpark has two cctv cameras with a small sign saying that the payment machine is being protected by cctv. However the cameras are pointing clearly at the cars in the carpark and not the machine or people using / heading towards it.

I have two questions about this:

1) are they allowed to do this as itís clear the cameras arenít being used for the purpose that is displayed?

2) I believe my car would have been seen pulling up on the carpark by at least one of these cameras. Would I be able to request footage to prove that the information I have provided in my appeal does In fact line up with the truth?

Thank you.
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 13th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    1) not sure
    2) I imagine footage is regularly destroyed. But ask for it anyway and let them say they no longer have it. The fact you're asking for it makes you look honest (not that the PPC will care but you can later say this in defending any proceedings, that they had evidence to back up what you said but they've destroyed it - if you asked them about the CCTV very soon after the event (which you indicate you did) then this makes it even worse).

If they say they've destroyed it ask them when and why they did so, given that it would provide clear evidence that you are telling the truth and you asked them about it within x days of receiving the pcn. They won't answer you but again it makes you look honest.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 14,947 Posts
    • 23,473 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    The carpark has two cctv cameras with a small sign saying that the payment machine is being protected by cctv. However the cameras are pointing clearly at the cars in the carpark and not the machine or people using / heading towards it.
    Does the sign specifically state ‘cctv’ or ‘anpr’? Whose sign is it - does it have a name on the bottom of the sign?

Frankly they can put whatever warning signs and include on them anything they like (a bit like dummy burglar alarms/cameras on houses), it doesn’t mean they actually have any of it operating, or even existing.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

302Posts Today

3,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin