Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 11th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 334Thanks
    rawr_
    0 WOW
    Vegan Shopping Best Buys
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    0 WOW
    Vegan Shopping Best Buys 11th Oct 17 at 8:22 AM
    I've been vegan for 5 months now - and its not always easy to buy cheaply when you're buying mock meats and other dairy/egg substitutes. I tend to do my shopping at Aldi, and my top up shops at Tesco or Sainsbury's.

Please use this thread to post any offers you find of food that is suitable for vegans - lets all save some money together!
    #77 Save 12k in 2018 [Savings Pot for 2018]: £500.72 / £6000

House fund (buying in 2018?!): £16,252.14
Page 3
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 28th Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    Where abouts in London

I tend to mainly cook from scratch & freeze extra portions, but I do like to have a store of fake stuff too. Linda Mc Chorizo & normal sausages - also bought some Hooba ones recently, they are unbelievably meat like, Linda Mc 1/4lb & her pulled pork ones, veggie mince, Morrisons meat free burgers, 6 in a pack. Most supermarket bean burgers, Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco, are usually alright. I buy tins of Green Jackfruit, you can make vegan pulled pork, check youtube for recipes. I would suggest, if you are running out of ideas, that you think what used to have as a meatmeater and veganize it, eg bangers & mash, spag bol. Veggie mince can make a ton of things, burritos/wraps, fling in a jacket potato, shepherdless pie, lasagne, meatballs, etc., is an example of just one ingredient. This is a good Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=vegan%20(supermarket%20finds)%20uk - good luck.
    Originally posted by Save Dosh
    Afraid it was a one off vegan food festival - but can be bought online. I'm currently waiting for an order of vegan cheese from Nutcrafter Creamery. I got a lovely cheese recipe book from the hubby for Christmas, but my first try didn't turn out so well!!

Hooba products are brilliant, I tried their products a while back, keep meaning to get some more ordered as was so impressed with how 'meat' like they were. And I agree with the facebook page, I follow this and it's one of the only ones I follow where people don't get uptight and nasty!

• rawr_
    • By rawr_ 28th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    I went to Morrisons and they had no Fry's frozen products I was so upset haha. Does anywhere else stock them except Ocado????
    Originally posted by Loz01
    Holland & Barrett

Depending on how big your local is they should stock a fair bit, as we have a tiny one but they still stock a variety of Fry's products (and a few others like Vbites too). I tried the Vbites Quiche a little while ago, and was really impressed. I want to have a go at making my own with some silken tofu, may do it for the New Year's buffet!

• Loz01
    • By Loz01 29th Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    Loz01
    Thanks everyone!

I noticed today M&S had a couple of new products that were vegan on the chilled section, next to the vegetarian stuff, one was vegan pieces (eg for using in stir fry) and one was vegan mince that looked similar to quorn pieces. They do have veggie burgers and meals but a lot of them have milk and/or egg in (annoying)
    More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, is a true perversion - Harvey Milk
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 30th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    Thanks everyone!

I noticed today M&S had a couple of new products that were vegan on the chilled section, next to the vegetarian stuff, one was vegan pieces (eg for using in stir fry) and one was vegan mince that looked similar to quorn pieces. They do have veggie burgers and meals but a lot of them have milk and/or egg in (annoying)
    I've looked for these but unfortunately don't do them in my local M&S Food - ours is quite small so that may be it. I've recently started getting some bits from Farmfoods, 3 for £5 and they have burgers, sausages, meatballs and mince - apparently they do 'popcorn chicken' too but not in my store!!

• Tofu eater
    • By Tofu eater 10th Jan 18, 12:31 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Tofu eater
    My vegan best buy is the Asda own brand long life soya milk.I routinely check all of the labels on various soya milks to see what percentage of soya is actually in them and how much I am getting for my buck.Provamel (the main big brand) and most of the own brands have about 7% soya ,sometimes 6%,sometimes 8%,sometimes as low as 5%,the 'fresh' chilled varieties have 2%- 3% soya and are padded out with all sorts of things like vegetable oil and sugar (yuck) ,but the Asda soya milk has 12% soya in it and it's really thick and creamy (so you can use less) I always give it a good shake before using) .It's only 59p per carton!
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 10th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    My vegan best buy is the Asda own brand long life soya milk.I routinely check all of the labels on various soya milks to see what percentage of soya is actually in them and how much I am getting for my buck.Provamel (the main big brand) and most of the own brands have about 7% soya ,sometimes 6%,sometimes 8%,sometimes as low as 5%,the 'fresh' chilled varieties have 2%- 3% soya and are padded out with all sorts of things like vegetable oil and sugar (yuck) ,but the Asda soya milk has 12% soya in it and it's really thick and creamy (so you can use less) I always give it a good shake before using) .It's only 59p per carton!
    Originally posted by Tofu eater
    Ah wow, thank you Tofu eater (great name by the way!!) I never thought to check my soya milks for the percentage of soya - I deffo will be now! I just by the cheapest soya available normally, usually tesco own or recently just bought the Lidl one. Also around 59p I believe!

• Tofu eater
    • By Tofu eater 10th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Tofu eater
    I took my name from a relative/friend who used to be a visitor and associated with our household but was very cynical about things like vegans and behind our backs apparently in a disrespectful taking the mickey kind of way used to call us 'tofu eaters' .
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 12th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    So who's seen the new 'Wicked' vegan range in Tesco? I can't wait to give it a try! Thing the ready meals are £4 each, but it is a ready meal (so a treat!) afterall right?

• savvy
    • By savvy 12th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 45,352 Thanks
    savvy
    So who's seen the new 'Wicked' vegan range in Tesco? I can't wait to give it a try! Thing the ready meals are £4 each, but it is a ready meal (so a treat!) afterall right?
    Originally posted by rawr_
    Only just got back from seeing Wicked on Broadway......so not seen these yet Will have to check out what they have in the range
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• rawr_
    • By rawr_ 13th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    Only just got back from seeing Wicked on Broadway......so not seen these yet Will have to check out what they have in the range
    Originally posted by savvy
    Ha I've seen that isn't it amazing?! I tried the 'BBQ Butternut Mac' one last night, was nice maybe nothing hugely special, but could to have the option for a ready meal on those nights I really can't be bothered to cook!

• Loz01
    • By Loz01 16th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    Loz01
    Ooh I really want to get to Tesco and try some of the range! It looks good.

A REALLY nice ready meal I found was Asda spaghetti and veggie meatballs in arrabiata sauce -

https://groceries.asda.com/product/vegetarian/asda-vegetarian-spaghetti-veggie-balls/910003033488

Probably cheaper and easier I know to make your own but as a ready meal now and again it was bloody lovely!
    More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, is a true perversion - Harvey Milk
    • kacie
    • By kacie 17th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    kacie
    Vegan known brands?
    What foods that are big brand have vegan options or are vegan?

Like Oreos
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 17th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    Ooh I really want to get to Tesco and try some of the range! It looks good.

A REALLY nice ready meal I found was Asda spaghetti and veggie meatballs in arrabiata sauce -

https://groceries.asda.com/product/vegetarian/asda-vegetarian-spaghetti-veggie-balls/910003033488

Probably cheaper and easier I know to make your own but as a ready meal now and again it was bloody lovely!
    That's the thing though - the ready meals you wouldn't eat all the time, but it's good to have a quick option for when you haven't got the time. I've now tried the BBQ Butternut Mac, and the BBQ Mushroom pizza - I think my pizza was the favourite of the two, but the pasta was pretty good too! Looking forward to trying a different one another week!

• savvy
    • By savvy 17th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 45,352 Thanks
    savvy
    Ha I've seen that isn't it amazing?! I tried the 'BBQ Butternut Mac' one last night, was nice maybe nothing hugely special, but could to have the option for a ready meal on those nights I really can't be bothered to cook!
    Oh yessss, now looking at seeing it for a 4th time!

Well I was a tiny bit naughty and included some in my online shop this week, got the thai curry ready meal one for those days when I'm only cooking for me. And then got the carrot pastrami as I was looking into carrot bacon and fake salmon over Christmas, but didn't have time to make any of it - so that will be lunch tomorrow

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• savvy
    • By savvy 17th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 45,352 Thanks
    savvy

Like Oreos
    Originally posted by kacie
    Hi kacie, you mean like acidentally vegan? If you want a comprehensive list that is updated regularly as manufacturers do like to change ingredients from time to time, then I suggest you mooch around on the Vegan Womble sites

• Loz01
    • By Loz01 18th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    Loz01

Like Oreos
    Originally posted by kacie
    Fox's party rings, Mcvities chop chip hobnobs, Oat crumbles, most bourbon biscuits (not Aldi though), Haribo rainbow twists, Skittles and Starburst, Polos, Millions! And probably more.

In other news, I tried one of the Wicked Kitchen items from Tesco, the pizza and it was bloody lovely and SO NICE to have pizza as I haven't had it for ages! I also bought the pasta and meatballs one, but as I dont like mushrooms I didnt get any of the others. Great if you do love mushrooms though!! Is it going to be a permanent range or not?
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 19th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    rawr_
    Fox's party rings, Mcvities chop chip hobnobs, Oat crumbles, most bourbon biscuits (not Aldi though), Haribo rainbow twists, Skittles and Starburst, Polos, Millions! And probably more.

In other news, I tried one of the Wicked Kitchen items from Tesco, the pizza and it was bloody lovely and SO NICE to have pizza as I haven't had it for ages! I also bought the pasta and meatballs one, but as I dont like mushrooms I didnt get any of the others. Great if you do love mushrooms though!! Is it going to be a permanent range or not?
    Theres also stuff like Tesco value garlic bread that's vegan! I really enjoyed the Wicked pizza too! I've also had a couple of their lunch wraps, and I have one of their sandwiches to try today I think like anything it is planned to be permanent but will just depend one how well it does. I think it's doing well at the moment as they're new and exciting, but hoping people continue to buy them.

• RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 20th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    RHemmings
    M&S have quite a few vegan foods now. I was quite impressed by the vegan stew pots. One middle-eastern inspired squash and bean stew, one cauliflower, coconut, and lentil dhal. They perhaps weren't the best value for money in terms of amount / £. However, they tasted very nice, and impressed me much more than the frozen Aldi equivalents. I see that they're listed on this page: https://veganwomble.co.uk/vegan-ready-meals/

I haven't tried the Tesco's wicked kitchen pizzas, or anything wicked kitchen yet. Looking forward to doing so.

EDIT: Oh, and ASDA have started selling own-brand Vegan Cheese. I only saw cheddar flavour. It looks very much like the Sainsbury's and Tesco's vegan cheese, so I presume it's also made by Bute Island Cheese. ASDA sell it for £2 a block, so undercutting their competition. Note: I mainly buy original Scheese branded cheese as I like to support my local independent vegan shop.

Last edited by RHemmings; 20-01-2018 at 7:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

261Posts Today

2,330Users online

Martin's Twitter