Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 11th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 319Thanks
    rawr_
    17 WOW
    Vegan Shopping Best Buys
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    17 WOW
    Vegan Shopping Best Buys 11th Oct 17 at 8:22 AM
    I've been vegan for 5 months now - and its not always easy to buy cheaply when you're buying mock meats and other dairy/egg substitutes. I tend to do my shopping at Aldi, and my top up shops at Tesco or Sainsbury's.

Please use this thread to post any offers you find of food that is suitable for vegans - lets all save some money together!
    Biggest competition win: 12 night culinary tour of Vietnam for 2015!
Page 1
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 11th Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    rawr_
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    Sainsbury's now has a small range of Follow Your Heart products - bought some Veganaise yesterday - which I find has been the best substitute for mayo - 2.50. I'm hoping it stays that price, as the wholefood shop an hour away from us sells it for nearly 4!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 24,175 Posts
    • 50,822 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    I’d be interested in hearing about any offers for vegan versions of Worcestershire sauce.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 11th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    rawr_
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    I’d be interested in hearing about any offers for vegan versions of Worcestershire sauce.
    Looks like they do a vegan Worcester sauce in Holland & Barrett - may be worth keeping an eye out for when they do their penny sales / half price sales. It doesn't look like its currently on offer unfortunately!
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 11th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 23,649 Thanks
    nuatha
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    Id be interested in hearing about any offers for vegan versions of Worcestershire sauce.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Look for Henderson's Relish.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Oct 17, 4:26 AM
    • 19,705 Posts
    • 31,851 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:26 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:26 AM
    Originally posted by nuatha
    I was going to say the exact same thing.

http://hendersonsrelish.com/
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 12th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    rawr_
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    Ahh wow, I've not heard of that! Thanks
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 12th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 7,971 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    Ahh wow, I've not heard of that! Thanks
    Originally posted by rawr_
    It's Sheffield's finest - it's fab stuff and I highly recommend it.
    Save
    • CuddlesTC
    • By CuddlesTC 13th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    CuddlesTC
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    Haven't tried Henderson's, but will look out for it. I like mushroom ketchup for adding extra depth to gravy etc:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251225471
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 13th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    RHemmings
    I have a recipe for vegan Worcester sauce, however the ingredient list starts with four litres of water.

In terms of cheap vegan foods, certain mock meats can be expensive, but if you take advantage of Asda's two for 2.50 offer on burgers, then that's pretty cheap. Particularly if you buy the box of eight burgers, which comes to 1.25 for the offer. I quite like their 'popcorn chicken'. They are a bit odd, but I like them. I also like the Asda quarter pounder burgers, but they aren't cheap. Though, they're substantial.

Both Aldi and Lidl do 'vegetable burgers' and 'bean burgers' for a reasonable price for four. The Lidl ones are actually marked vegan, but the ingredients list on the Aldi ones look fine to me.

Iceland sell Linda McCartney sausages fairly cheaply. Lidl used to be best for that, but they've now put them up to 1.49 a packet. Iceland were 1.25 a packet, I think.

I found quite a few useful things at a huge Morrisons last time I went. I can't remember what they were and what they cost.

Tescos seems to like coming up 'different' things. I tried their peanut and avocado bakes, but ... not really. A lot of Tescos products seem to be like that; not all that wonderful.

If you want cheap vegan food, you're probably better off cooking from scratch using beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc. in place of mock meats. Frozen goods are very convenient, however.

Tescos are good for dairy substitutes, including yogurt (I like their plain, and add stewed fruit myself), cheese (limited flavours, but 'cheddar' is good), their mini blueberry cheesecakes, etc.

The cheapest vegan ice-cream I know of is Swedish Glace, which I think is the most normal vegan ice-cream. Though, it certainly isn't cheap compared to dairy ice-cream. Aldi have some coconut based non-dairy ice cream at the moment, but I think it's not that nice. I think that others agree as it's sat there for ages without selling.
    Last edited by RHemmings; 13-10-2017 at 8:17 PM.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 13th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 5,825 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I like the southern gravy from B&M, a quid and makes chips delicious

Aldi do some nice vegan burgers too!

I have given up on vegan cheese - all overpriced and tastes awful :-)
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Dec 17 grocery challenge 89.65/ 120
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 14th Oct 17, 12:11 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    RHemmings
    I like the southern gravy from B&M, a quid and makes chips delicious

Aldi do some nice vegan burgers too!

Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Have you tried the new formulation of Bute Island 'Cheese'? It's very different from what it used to be.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 14th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 5,825 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Have you tried the new formulation of Bute Island 'Cheese'? It's very different from what it used to be.
    Originally posted by RHemmings
    I've wasted so much money over the years. If it isn;t nut based, I'm not willing to try any more!
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Dec 17 grocery challenge 89.65/ 120
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 14th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    RHemmings
    Fair 'nuff.

The new Bute Island is, I believe, coconut based.
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 24th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    rawr_
    I felt like this until I tried some Tyne Cheese at the weekend! It is quite pricey - think it's 7.95 per block, and I think it has to be bought online. I found them at a stall in London on Saturday, and was lucky enough to try before I bought some! I've hated most of the cheeses I've tried, I don't mind Violife, although it's not really like cheese, and as soon as you start to try and melt it the smell is horrendous!
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 24th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    rawr_
    On another note - Ocado have some really good offers at the moment - all of the Fry's meat replacement products are half price, which makes a massive difference to the price! I've been slimming down my freezer for the last week or so to make room, going to do a big order when I get paid tomorrow
    • JPR7
    • By JPR7 30th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    JPR7
    New to veganism so all this info is really useful
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 2nd Nov 17, 6:44 AM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    [/CENTER]
    Id be interested in hearing about any offers for vegan versions of Worcestershire sauce.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    The only.ones i know of are Hendersons in Morrisons, which is very similar ; and HomeBargains who used to do a massive bottle of Heinz. Think they are both around 2-2.50 (sorry pound sign dissapeared on phone)!
    Last edited by K9sandFelines; 02-11-2017 at 6:50 AM.
    GC 2017 (4,000 (2777.66)) Jan 346.72 Feb 241.99 Mar 280.29 Apr 196.58 (app.) May 232.77 Jun 191.14 Jul 280.45 Aug 362.70 Sep 304.10 Oct 240.92 Nov 161.20 (up to and incl. 20/11) + Smart Pass 1.99 x 11= 21.89

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • mushypeaman
    • By mushypeaman 6th Nov 17, 9:46 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    mushypeaman
    My local Morrisons has sprouted an impressive and ever expanding selection of frozen vegan food. They have a selection of the Frys Family range that's much cheaper than high street prices. Some of the Morrisons Meat-Free range is vegan. I assume all this is nationwide.
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 7th Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    squiggles
    According to the website, this is a list of the vegan range from Linda McCartney brand

chorizo cocktail sausages
    Roast beef with red wine and shallot glaze
    Cocktail sausages
    Beef, mushroom & spinach Wellington bites
    Mini pork and apple sausage rolls
    Scampi bites
    Chorizo and red pepper sausages
    Pulled chicken
    Shredded hoisin duck
    Red onion and rosemary sausages
    Vegetarian sausages
    Vegetarian burgers
    Vegetarian 1/4 pounders
    Mushroom and spinach burgers
    Pulled pork 1/4 pounders
    Country pies
    Red onion and rosemary sausage plaits
    Sausage rolls

http://lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our-food/vegan-range/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin