Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 11th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    • 141Posts
    • 327Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Countdown to the big 4-0 - time to get my life in order!!!'
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    Countdown to the big 4-0 - time to get my life in order!!!' 11th Oct 17 at 6:57 AM
    So, as the title suggests I'm on the countdown to 40 - ok it's just over 3 years away but I figured it gives me time to action my plan to get my life on track. I've had diaries on here in the past and have found they've worked well for me as long as I keep posting!!!

A bit about me - I'm Mummy to my amazing 2 year old son. I went back to work part time so this has meant a 40% cut in my previous salary. We currently owe just shy of 9k split across credit cards, family loan and overdraft. This has largely come about off the back of a series of car issues (£2.5k in 18 months ), subsequent purchase of a reliable car (£4.5k), horrendous vets bills (totalling another £4K!) and plugging the mat leave shortfall. If the truth be told the route cause is the fact we have no savings. We've been chipping away at the debt since I returned to work and are doing ok-ish but it could be better.

On a personal level the focus of this diary will obviously be our debt free journey but also my journey to getting a grip on my life. I currently have over a stone to lose (would like it gone by Christmas - may be wishful thinking!). My house is a tip and I need to get organised and also my work life is not great at the minute. I've arrived at the conclusion that I'm the only one that can do anything about this as speaking to my boss has fallen on deaf ears - the question is what do I do. I need to ask myself a lot of questions and may be push myself out of my comfort zone, but I'm determined one way or another work issues will not impact my home life or mental health.

Well done if you've made it through my ramblings - turning 40's going to be great
    Last edited by Seabiscuit; 11-10-2017 at 7:07 AM.
    1000km in 2017 = 641/1000
Page 2
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 8th Jan 18, 5:44 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Happy Monday!
    Busy weekend, OH was working Saturday so it was just me and my boy. Day started with SW, then a trip into town and food shopping. Not terribly exciting but that's life!

SW lost 5lb! Really pleased with that so 5/28

I also managed my first run in 2 months. I'm aiming to complete 1000k in 2018 (tried in 2017 but ended the year about 200k short ). It wasn't quick and it wasn't pretty but managed 4 miles without stopping or walking so I'm pleased with that! Takes me to 6.4 / 1000km - it's a start!

A few eBay sales over the weekend mean that budget is now just £30 short for the month. Should be fairly easy to sort. Think I've over budgeted for petrol and hopefully they'll be a few more eBay sales, so hopefully it'll be sorted.

Did treat myself to a new notebook to start my new bullet journal for the year. Is it sad that I'm really excited about this The plan is it'll keep me on track with every aspect of my life - finances, weight, exercise, housework, social and family, birthdays, Christmas etc - the list is endless!!!!

Right best go, got some eBay items to package up - have a great day x
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 8th Jan 18, 6:53 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    fatrab
    Hi,

Good luck with your plan! I'm also hoping to lose a bit of weight along the way of my debt free journey.

As my username implies, I'm no spring chicken. At my heaviest I was 17st 8lbs. I'm currently 17st 2lbs (6lbs off since Xmas!) and I plan to lose a pound per week on average in 2018. Which should see me under 14st by next xmas!

I hope to be completely debt free by 50 so in a similar mindset to yourself. I shall follow your diary and wish you all the best with both your debt and health goals!

Robert
    Wannabe debt free by 31/12/2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 8lbs lost so far
    10 x £2 coins (#32) - 7/12 NSD in January
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 14th Jan 18, 7:05 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Hi Robert - thanks for stopping by and well done on the weight loss hopefully we can help keep each other motivated.

Payday still seems along way off - 14 days in fact We've already blown the food budget so really need to rein it in. Will sit down and draw up a meal plan later.

Checked my TCB this morning and £60 has become payable this will be a massive help with muddling through til payday.

DS has had a rare lie in this morning (by lie in I mean 6:00- he's usually up by 5:00!!!) This has given me an hour to get listing on eBay. Hoping for a few good sales - fingers crossed!

Yesterday was a busy one - weigh in first thing (1.5lb off 6.5 / 28lb), food shopping and then a trip to the feed shop for the ponies feed. Also need to get dog food this week, so more planned spends......

The bullet journal is up and running and will hopefully help me get my life in order. All the weekly / monthly chores are listed, all my finances, weight, running, Birthday and Christmas pressies to buy. I've also made a list of potential day trips and things to do with little man. I'm determined to start living more and hopefully getting a wee bit more organised will be a step in the right direction!
    • MatyMoo
    • By MatyMoo 14th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 12,925 Thanks
    MatyMoo

Had another look at last years progress (or lack of it) and just feel so frustrated. I seem to spend half my life trying to get us out of this mess (and probably the other half getting us into it!) and feel so disheartened that the effort has pretty much gone to waste.
    Originally posted by Seabiscuit
    This jumped out at me.

The year didn't go to waste, you didn't increase your debt (bet you did in previous years), you made a reduction of £1k

In my book that's a success!

If you can get a handle on the food budget by menu planning & shopping lists based around thar will help! But it's tough going to reduce spending in one go. If you spent £100/week before try to reduce by £10/week. Once you have cracked that reduce by another £10. Much easier to do it in smaller blocks
    Proud Member of Mike's Mob
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 16th Jan 18, 5:32 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Thanks MatyMoo, your words of support mean a lot especially when it all seems like one huge never ending slog!

Had £30 in eBay sales over the last couple of days, so this has been transferred to the current account to help see us through.

Not a great deal to report elsewhere but checking in helps keep me on track.

Have a great day x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,373Posts Today

8,324Users online

Martin's Twitter