Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 11th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    • 133Posts
    • 296Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Countdown to the big 4-0 - time to get my life in order!!!'
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    Countdown to the big 4-0 - time to get my life in order!!!' 11th Oct 17 at 6:57 AM
    So, as the title suggests I'm on the countdown to 40 - ok it's just over 3 years away but I figured it gives me time to action my plan to get my life on track. I've had diaries on here in the past and have found they've worked well for me as long as I keep posting!!!

A bit about me - I'm Mummy to my amazing 2 year old son. I went back to work part time so this has meant a 40% cut in my previous salary. We currently owe just shy of 9k split across credit cards, family loan and overdraft. This has largely come about off the back of a series of car issues (£2.5k in 18 months ), subsequent purchase of a reliable car (£4.5k), horrendous vets bills (totalling another £4K!) and plugging the mat leave shortfall. If the truth be told the route cause is the fact we have no savings. We've been chipping away at the debt since I returned to work and are doing ok-ish but it could be better.

On a personal level the focus of this diary will obviously be our debt free journey but also my journey to getting a grip on my life. I currently have over a stone to lose (would like it gone by Christmas - may be wishful thinking!). My house is a tip and I need to get organised and also my work life is not great at the minute. I've arrived at the conclusion that I'm the only one that can do anything about this as speaking to my boss has fallen on deaf ears - the question is what do I do. I need to ask myself a lot of questions and may be push myself out of my comfort zone, but I'm determined one way or another work issues will not impact my home life or mental health.

Well done if you've made it through my ramblings - turning 40's going to be great
    Last edited by Seabiscuit; 11-10-2017 at 7:07 AM.
    1000km in 2017 = 641/1000
Page 1
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 11th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    Current state of affairs - 2017

Debt
    Cc1 = £1080
    Cc2 = £699.52
    Cc3 = £5006.20
    O/D = £872
    Parents = £1050

Total = £8732.45

Savings = £0

Weight = 12 st 5lb

Target for 2021

Debt = £0
    Savings = £2k
    Weight = 11 stone
    Work =

Let's see how it goes.....
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    It sounds like the debt is a result of specific spends (car, vet bill and maternity leave) so that is a positive.

Having a child is often a cause of debt, not only the additional cost of feeding and clothing the little one but also reduced income and childcare costs.

My advice would be to post an soa so you can see where all your money is going and get suggestions on cutting back. Building an emergency fund is also important to cover unexpected spends. Are any of the debts on 0%?
    3 days to go until early retirement. Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 49,083 Posts
    • 182,296 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    It would be good for you to post a SOA & to start a spending diary.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 14th Oct 17, 6:40 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 14th Oct 17, 6:40 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 6:40 AM
    Thanks both for stopping by and offering support.

All the debt except the overdraft is on 0% interest so that's a massive bonus.

Will get the spending diary started as it'll be really interesting to see where all our surplus goes. I know we spend way too much on food shopping so will be good to find out exactly how much so that we can reduce it month on month.

Looking forward and getting organised- forseeable spends between now and the end of year:
    1. OH car - MOT and service due plus going in next week to hopefully get an issue resolved
    2. Birthdays x 7 - just 2/7 left to sort
    3. Christmas (obviously!!) Majority done - just a few bits for DS, my parents, bro in law to get. No massive spends food wise as will be at the in laws
    4. Annual jab for pony - approx £35

I've been reading up on organisation methods and two tools have stood out as potentially very beneficial to us - the organised mum (for housework) and the bullet journal.
    Organised mum is a bit like a simplified fly lady and focusses on just 30 minutes a day. My big issue with regards to the housework is time - I'm convinced things take longer than they actually do so if I've only got 30 mins or so I usually put it off!
    The bullet journal looks fab and I've implemented on for work and one for home. Difficult to explain condensely but it literally captures everything - I love it! Will start the spending diary at the back of it too.

Right busy day ahead so better look lively! Have a good weekend x
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 14th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 4,320 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    • 14th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    Hello.

Hope your new diary helps. I love that you have a pony. That's brilliant. Personally I think it's very important to have things in your life that make you happy. (I know you're a mum also so children make you happy but in a much different way) but I just think think having a pony is great. But must be time consuming also.

Think as well the debt paying will take longer as you are part time but everyone I know who is part time is very happy with it - and really who wouldn't be. In your position I would do same.

Wishing you the best. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Oct 17, 8:28 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    • 14th Oct 17, 8:28 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 8:28 AM
    Sea biscuit good luck with your plans .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 49,083 Posts
    • 182,296 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 14th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    I find even 15 minute bursts work well.
    Amazing what you can do in 15 minutes~~ & I am slow!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 15th Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 15th Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    • 15th Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    Thanks for all the supportive comments - it means a lot,

Poor Single Lady - the neds are my little bit of escapism. Sadly lost my retired riding horse earlier in the year (hence some of the debt as the insurance policy I'd paid into for him for 15 years refused to pay a penny ) I just have my two wee Shetlands now - obviously I ride neither of them, so they're not hugely time consuming. One has some quite complex health issues that need managing closely but other than that they act like a couple of overgrown dogs! The part time balance is also fantastic - I'm getting to spend quality time with the little man rather than working to pay child care costs and for someone else to spend that time with him.

Plan for today is to keep the OH out of the supermarket!!' It's his favourite weekend pass time There's enough in the cupboards / fridge / freezer to keep us going this week. Need to make some soup to take to work and meal plan for the week. I've been awol from SW for a couple of weeks and really need to get my mojo back with it. Despite running 2/3 times a week and generally being fairly active my weight seems to be spirally out of control. I'd previously lost almost 3 stone on slimming world but have put half of it back on. With Christmas round the corner I need to get a handle on it sooner rather than later. Wish me luck!

-
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 17th Oct 17, 5:36 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Good morning!!!
    Well not so good here - I'm feeling a bit bleurgh! Think DS cold that I've been escaping is finally taking hold!
    Just entered the 2 week countdown to payday - hate this time of the month. All the dd have come out and it's now just a case of making the left overs stretch! It's been a long month this month financially as OH payday has fallen late in the month and been delayed by the weekend, never mind it'll soon be here!
    In better news the issue with OH car was just a wire - £30 job done! Can't complain I was expecting 10x that!!!
    Right best get out with the woofs - will check in later x
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 25th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Eek! Been a week since I last checked in. Money is tight - very tight but on the side positive its 5 days til payday!!!! It's been an expensive month. We've had my car MOT and service, DS birthday and party and my sister's birthday plus a few Christmas pressies. All seems manageable until you get to the end of the month! But we have food in the house and petrol in the cars so essential spends will be minimal and the non essential can just wait!!!

2 days off work now to spend with DS. I have an annual pass to a local under 10s theme park so I think we'll make the most of the decent weather and head over there with a picnic. Should be a low / no spend day and lots of fun.

In non financial news, I had my supposedly monthly catch up with my boss last week (think we've had 3 this year!!!) and once again have told her how I'm feeling. I figured given that I'm at the should I stay or should I go point I've got nothing to lose in doing so. She sounded supportive but tbh I've heard it before and nothing changed so we'll see. It's out there now......

Weighed I yesterday and have put on the 0.5lb I lost last week, despite running 22 miles in the last week grrr! Time to meal plan for the coming week and get focussed again!
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 30th Oct 17, 5:53 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Morning all!
    Start of a new financial month for us, so time for a quick update.....
    Cc1 was £1080 now £1031.40
    Cc2 was £669.52 now £1678.52
    Cc3 was £5006.20 now £4856.20
    O/D was £872 now £0
    Parents was £1050 now £950

Total was £8732.45 now £8516.12 (-£216.33)

Ok so it's heading in the right direction BUT I still feel disappointed with it as I know we haven't been as careful as we could / should be. However new month = new start.......

So I've done a money transfer to pay the O/D off , 0% til Feb 2019. Not the first time I've done this so really not very proud of myself, but determined to make it the last. Will reduce my O/D limit later today. Don't want to do away with it completely in case of absolute emergency, but there's no need for it to be that high.

On the Christmas front, we're almost there. I've made a list of fun things for us to do in the run up to Christmas - some involve £s some don't but I wanted to get a heads up of potential costs so that we can budget over the pre Christmas pay packets. Just my DS, Dad and bro in law to sort now present wise - the end is in sight!!!!

Right not really got a lot to say so I'm off before I start waffling!!!

Happy Monday x
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 1st Nov 17, 5:47 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Morning all!
    Just enjoying a bit of quiet time with a cuppa until DS decides the day is starting!!!!

Money wise all cc payments have gone out, so that's those done and dusted for another month. Being realistic, the chance of over paying will be slim this month. I want to get Christmas as sorted as we can and also our annual pass for the theme park is due for renewal at the end of the month. They usually do a Black Friday deal so I'm going to put any eBay profit to one side in the hope that by the end of the money it'll be covered. It's a luxury I know, but it saves me so much through the year. Rather than paying £5 a time for soft play we head over there as there's loads of soft play and so much more and it's only a 20 minute drive. Speaking of soft play, it's just reminded me we have a voucher for a free session at one of the local ones - must make sure we use it before it expires - freebie day out

Our wonderful energy suppliers have also decided to increase our DD by £60 per month
    Will be querying it as it seems rather excessive. Thankfully the new rate doesn't kick in til next month but even so I'm not impressed!

Today will be a spendy day as need to go and do the big shop. Will try and get most from Aldi, but there's a few bits I'll need to go elsewhere for. Will check my supermarket and see which has the best offers on what we need. I've done a rough meal plan for the next 2 weeks so will try and stick to that as much as possible. Need lots of nappies, wipes etc for DS, but have a load of boots coupons so will use them and hopefully save some £££s.

Need to post eBay bits today - £26 made so currently at £26 / £80 needed for our annual passes.

Right best get my shopping lists done before the wee one wakes
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 2nd Nov 17, 5:44 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Eeek! Big shop done £151.80 spent!!! That is ridiculous. Fair enough we'd run out of store cupboard staples like beans, tinned tomatoes, pasta etc but even so it's still an obscene amount. Yes most of it is staples that will see the month out, so hopefully we'll just need fresh bits but I'm still shocked

Today will also be a spendy day as OH car goes in for MOT and service. Pleased to get it over and done with early in the month so we can cut our cloth accordingly. Fingers crossed for nothing major.

Two more eBay sales totalling £14 mean that one of the annual passes is covered lets see if I can cover the other by the end of next week - best get listing.

Had a thought for Christmas next year to try and help me save for it - I'm going to sit and budget out how much I want to spend on individuals. I've got some little money envelopes and will write each persons name on the front of one, then each month will pay into one or more of the envelopes. I could transfer the money into another bank account but find it too easy to transfer out again. This way I'll have the money available throughout the year when I see bargains. Will make sure the envelopes are locked away and forgotten about unless I'm paying in of course!

Better get up and get the ponies fed. Have a good day x
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 3rd Nov 17, 5:04 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Fat lot of good crossing my fingers did! £700 later the car is fixed obviously had budgeted for some but not quite that much!!! Fortunately OH parents have offered to cover the shortfall - almost 40 and still running to the bank of mum and dad, it's not good. Need to get off this merry go round.

The annual pass savings is now upto £47.90 from eBay sales (seems kind of trivial in light of the above!) so just £32.10 to go.

Need to get Christmas out of the way and then draw a big fat line under this year. I've just gone round in circles debt wise constantly robbing peter to pay Paul. First goal for the year will be to get an emergency fund. Debt is never going to go away if we can't cover at least some of the unexpecteds without going into panic mode. Given that there's no council tax in Feb or March, there's £360 straight away. Be good to have £1k by end of March. Need to get disciplined!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,929Posts Today

7,161Users online

Martin's Twitter