Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,837Posts
    • 38,314Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 11th October 2017
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 11th October 2017 11th Oct 17 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 11th October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, blustery wind has returned but not raining and doesn't feel so cold.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was the beef casserole, dumplings, mash, LO cauli/broc cheese, LO yorkshires, peas and gravy. I remembered to get the chicken out to defrost for tonight's dinner, so tonight we'll be having roasted chicken thighs possibly with something - not sure what, but have all day to think of something. Whatever I make it needs to be something that isn't going to take too much prep or cooking as I'm working a full day again today.

Yesterday wasn't as busy but again either loads of people or nothing, and lots of unhappy people. Today I'm working one job this morning then doing another this afternoon - so will make a change.

I'm on days' off from tonight, but have a couple of busy days and want to get stuff done - so will see how I go.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 11-10-2017 at 6:27 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Oct 17, 7:04 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:04 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:04 AM
    Morning everyone

Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

I didnít sleep very well again. I was tossing and turning most of the night and finally gave up and got up about 5.00am. Iíve been reading since then and now feel really exhausted.

It stayed cloudy with drizzle on and off all day yesterday, so a pretty miserable day weather wise, so no washing done. Iíll see what today brings.

The freezer roulette yesterday resulted in a nice lamb casserole. I had that with some steamed veg and mashed potatoes. Iíll open the draw, close my eyes and grab another of the unlabelled packages in a minute. Whatever that is will be dinner tonight, whether I fancy it or not. Iím absolutely determined not to waste anything because I was silly and didnít put a label on when freezing it.

This year I wasnít going to make a Christmas cake. I donít really like it but my brother and niece love it and he phoned me yesterday and asked if I will make them one, so Iím going to do that today.

The sitting room is rather dusty and if I get time I will sort that out today and have a quick vacuum around, other than that I donít intend to do too much. Iíve been feeling quite tired again so would like to have a quiet afternoon reading.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 89,154 Thanks
    redruby
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    Morning all

Too dark to see what the weather is doing but its chilly, no central heating on yet but the fire keeps us toasty in the evenings.

Off to work today its very quiet there atm which is quite nice for a change, the clients make it fun though, a new challenge every day !

Need to go and rummage in the freezer after this to look for something for dinner, or I might do an omelette and bread and butter which will be nice and easy.

Rubbish and recycling are out this morning, and dw will be turned on before work.

I have ordered new boots for work which should arrive today, I ordered what I hope will be very comfortable ones (they are meant to be) being on your feet all day with arthritis is very painful most days, so I hope these help and are worth the money.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Oct 17, 7:24 AM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 34,181 Thanks
    Gers
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:24 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:24 AM
    Morning all.

Itís been pouring down all night, sharp rain blown into the windows which makes it extra noisy. Iíll have to drive the long way into town as my usual route will be flooded. When itís high tide the rainwater canít drain away so just floods the canal road.

The surprise venison got cooked up yesterday so I need to portion it up properly. Some for today, some for DM and some for the freezer.

Two hours at work this morning, fingers crossed it goes better than last week, itís been on my mind since then. I have a love hate relationship with technology.

The shower is looming so must get on. Happy Wednesday to everyone.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Oct 17, 7:25 AM
    • 15,166 Posts
    • 61,893 Thanks
    Judi
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:25 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:25 AM
    Morning all

Not sure what I'm doing today. Housework is a bit pointless and the laundry is up to date.

I'm sure I can find something useful to do.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • tru
    • By tru 11th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 8,557 Posts
    • 42,879 Thanks
    tru
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    Morning

I hope your leg heals soon CRANKY xx Sorry, I have no idea what's wrong with it

My brother popped round with Little Mate. I asked LM if he likes school – he's just started preschool and is feeling very grown up, lol – and he wouldn't talk to me about it. It seems he will tell his dad some things, his mum other things and no-one else is allowed to know anything

I've been thinking about Christmas, for the first time in years I have a proper fireplace and it's very important to find the perfect decorations for the mantelpiece I'm thinking thick green garland, chunky wooden letters spelling NOEL and small white candles. That may change to over-the-top, tacky silly red ornaments I'm not sure what to buy for LM, he loves pirates so I went on the hunt for a treasure chest while we were away but couldn't find one. I was going to fill it with treasure and knew just where to find the perfect things – a fab pirate shop in Looe. Went there and it was closed, I looked in the other shops but nothing came close. So I'll have to have a rethink.

Miss tru has the day off, not sure what her plans are but we usually end up doing something together so I'll wait for her to get out of bed and see if she wants to do anything.

Bulletproof
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 18,769 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    Morning everyone,

Yesterday's funeral went as well as possible, it was held in a woodland cemetery which was very quiet and peaceful but have to wonder what it would be like for the mourners in the rain as it was quite a walk to the plot.
    One of the most toxic people from the company turned up, she had especially made my friends life a complete misery, she seemed shocked to see us and quickly scuttled away. Like most bullies she is brave when surrounded by cronies or sending nasty emails but not so good when face to face.
    Plans today are clear out the under stairs cupboard and do the bathrooms, this afternoon my DOH is meeting his eldest for a chat and I will see the lovely Lulu.

Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 13,205 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    Morning everyone,

Terrible weather this morning. Proper winter weather. So much so our works golf day has been cancelled - for a 2nd time in 4 weeks due to weather.

Scotland, eh?

Didn't do much yesterday evening. GBBO, of course.

Football tonight, in the rain no doubt.

Hope everyone stays dry and has a nice day.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 12,059 Posts
    • 34,258 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    Morning

No rain here yet though it was forecast. Nice dry day and the promise of some sun over the weekend

Its that day again... Morrrisons for the usual mother shopping list then off out to lunch.

If there is anything left in the tank when I get home then Ill have a kitchen tidy. Exciting day huh

Have a great day everyone
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 15,371 Posts
    • 125,223 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums a bit grey and overcast at the moment I have some ironing to do this morning (should have done it yesterday but didn't have time ) I shall multi task and watch Holby which I recorded from last night at the same time

This afternoon I have the U3A monthly meeting and our speaker is going to talk about fingerprinting and its history ,so hopefully it should be interesting and informative ,just up my street

I will root around the freezer to find something for tonight's dinner.

Hope you all have a good day ,halfway through another week already

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

We do not have rain here, the sun is shining, the rain its supposed to arrive at lunch time, so no preservative on the shed today, it takes 6 hours to dry.

We both slept in, 8 50 before the feet hit the floor, no bother, I just plan to do a bit of sewing after lunch.

Mince and dough balls for supper, need to cook the mince and put half of it in the freezer against another meal.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 11th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 19,835 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

Just got back from dogwalking and amazingly didnt get wet.I am being taken out for lunch by my ex Sis-i-L and another friend so the rain will probably pour down when my hair is washed and I get out of the car After that I'm picking DGS up from nursery school.

The basement room is coming on a treat,DS bought a blind yesterday,more for night time really as we have LED street lamps outside and the road is very bright when theyre on.Hopefully by weekend we can shift his bed down there
    Got some turkey breast joint out of the freezer for tea,will probably do roasties as DGD is coming for tea and she loves a roast dinner.She made us laugh last night as she rang him at tea time to say she had saved the cabbage water for him OS or what? He does a lot of juicing green veg so she must have thought it would be ideal He was very tactful and said it might not keep till he saw her but how kind of her to think of it.

Need to do a quick tidy round in case my friend comes in when she picks me up.I cleaned the carpet on Monday and 2 rugs-what a difference - I blame Ly1a so I'll wish you all a happy day and get cracking xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 4,188 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all. It's a dreadful day here, weather wise. Lots of rain and a blustery wind.
    Spent the morning in an out of town shopping centre looking for thermal base layers for Mr Fix It. Found him some and a pair of shorts for me, in the sale . Had a coffee and some Italian pastries ( thanks GBBO ) then bumped into a friend who I hadn't seen for about 10 years, as she looks after her DGC down in Cardiff every day. We had a lovely chat and a reminisce about some of the funnier times we had.
    Called in to FFoods to stock up on toilet rolls and then As*a to pick up some breakfast items and after school snacks for DGC, as from tomorrow we are on the school run and pick up. Their childminder is on a cruise until after half term, methinks she is getting paid too much .
    As it was getting late we decided to have lunch out, so only a snack is needed for tea today.
    Tomorrow after dropping off the DGC at school, I am going to dads to change his bed and hoover through. Not looking forward to getting up early in the mornings though. Never mind needs must.
    Tru I was in The W*rks on Monday and they had a pirates treasure chest with some items in it, a hook, hat, activity book etc priced at £6. I believe it's also on line. HTH.
    Hugs to all those who are in need. Stay safe and warm.
    nan
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 15,371 Posts
    • 125,223 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just home from U3a meeting and it was as usual very enlightening.Great guest speaker a retired Scotland Yard fingerprint expert .Lovely chap with lots of anecdotesand very amusing as well as informative.

Feet up and a bit of knitting now methinks .spitting with rain and quite windy as well here in the south-east
    Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 34,181 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon - the rain stopped, started again, stopped again and looks set for the rest of the day.

Just as I was leaving the house I saw a large herd of deer in the open field to the left - must have been about 15 - 20 of them. Then, on my right in the other field was a deer trapped by its hoof on the fence. It was struggling like mad, poor thing. I phoned my neighbour (the land owner) and then went on to work. He called me back shortly after as he couldn't find the deer, it had got itself free. Just as well as the only other option was to shoot it unfortunately. Hopefully it's not too injured and will recover well.

The neighbour called in later for a cup of tea and a natter. He knows a blacksmith / ironwright (if that's the correct term) which is great as I want a fender made to go round the stove hearth. When I load more wood in the stove embers are dropping out with some rolling onto the carpet. The hearth is larger than the regulation size so it's the speed of the embers. Now I just have to measure the three sides.

Teaching was so much better than last Wednesday. Some students engage, others just sit it through. They got more activated when I got them into an online space all together (15 students in seven remote centres). The first thing they ALL did was to draw / write all over the shared space. Smiley faces, squiggly lines, houses and so on, luckily no abuse or rude stuff! Think they enjoyed using the shared space.

I''m off early tomorrow, taking a local man down to the Beatson Clinic for admission. As it's a one way trip I can go straight onto my DM and get paid my mileage expenses. Very MSE!

Tonight I have venison casserole with mash, peas and carrots. A proper meat and three veg meal.

I hope everyone is well and warm.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 36,893 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Afternoon all
    It took me an hour to get home today as there had been an accident, two fire engines, two ambulances and three police cars, in hoping no one was too badly injured.
    I'm waiting g for the water tank to fill and I've done two loads of washing since I got in.
    I have to go and collect CHS at 9:30 tonight when he finishes work.
    Have a good evening everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 40,484 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Evening all

It took me an hour to get home too, an accident but didn't look too bad just clogged the main dual carriageway.

A load of washing is just finishing, I'll hang it up when it's done. Not having much for tea as I had chicken curry for lunch from the dinner hall, yummy it was too. Also had some cake as it was someone's birthday (there was one yesterday too!).

DD and bf have gone to Tallin and Riga for a few days with some friends, flying with Ryanair and the flight was an hour late leaving even at 7.45 this morning. Hope they have better weather than here, pouring all morning and heavy showers all afternoon.

Have a good evening. Take care. XX
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

9,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin