Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jm84
    • By Jm84 11th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jm84
    Speeding ticket
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    Speeding ticket 11th Oct 17 at 6:17 AM
    Hi,
    I received a notice of intended prosecution through the post yesterday. The letter itself was dated sometime in October (the 6th i think) so I dutifully filled out the form and sent it back in the post yesterday. However, after sending it I realised they had put alleged offence as 13th September so it had been way more than 14 days since the offence. Can i still fight it even though I've filled out the form and returned it. I didn't take a copy of the original letter. Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 11th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2,168 Posts
    • 6,251 Thanks
    bargepole
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    Hi,
    I received a notice of intended prosecution through the post yesterday. The letter itself was dated sometime in October (the 6th i think) so I dutifully filled out the form and sent it back in the post yesterday. However, after sending it I realised they had put alleged offence as 13th September so it had been way more than 14 days since the offence. Can i still fight it even though I've filled out the form and returned it. I didn't take a copy of the original letter. Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Jm84
    The form you filled in was the s172 notice, which legally obliges you to provide the name of the driver at the time of the alleged offence.

The NIP must be served on the registered keeper within 14 days of the offence, so if you are the RK, the NIP is out of time and they can't prosecute. However, if it is a company or leased car, or you have recently moved house and the DVLA took their time to update the RK details, the 14 day requirement will not apply to you, they have a 'reasonable time' to serve the notice.

Having sent the form back, you will probably receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty. If you are the RK with the DVLA, and haven't moved recently, you have an absolute defence in that they failed to comply with Section 1(b) of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, so are therefore unable to bring a prosecution. "The Defendant has no case to answer, Your Worship".
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 30. Lost 9.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 33,600 Posts
    • 17,499 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    Pepipoo is the best place for proper fines issues

This forum majors on private parking invoices rather than speeding offences
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin