Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 11th Oct 17, 5:40 AM
    • 213Posts
    • 190Thanks
    JuzaMum
    Hiding next door - trellis, netting?
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:40 AM
    Hiding next door - trellis, netting? 11th Oct 17 at 5:40 AM
    I have a corner plot and my small garden ends with the side wall of next doors house. I would like to look at greenery rather than brick so want to grow something to cover it. There is about 15' between my shed and my wall that I could suspend netting between to grow something up (not sure how to avoid it sagging in the middle). Alternatively would trellis be a better idea? Obviously with a gap between neighbours wall and trellis. If I put trellis up would I need to put posts in to secure it?
    Thoughts and ideas gratefully received also ideas for plants that will climb and thrive on a north facing wall.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 23,327 Posts
    • 88,921 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    Netting always looks like what it is; a cheap alternative, but tight trellis costs, so you might want to consider a more open one in 3 panels with one cut down, or two panels and space to get around the ends might be even better.

Climbers for a shaded north-facing situation are difficult. I'd choose pyracantha instead, just using the trellis as something to tie to. You'll get flowers for the bees and berries for the blackbirds.

The RHS says Saphyr Orange is a good variety for this situation. Leave room behind for maintenance.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 11th Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    You could ask your neighbour if you can attach a trellis to their wall. They might say yes.
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 11th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    I don't know who owns next door. It is an HMO.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 23,327 Posts
    • 88,921 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    I wouldn't allow a neighbour to attach a trellis to my wall. True, they might start out with a nice Trachelospermum jasminoides, but in 5 years time they could have moved, that may have died and I might be looking at rampant ivy.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 11th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    I wouldn't allow a neighbour to attach a trellis to my wall. True, they might start out with a nice Trachelospermum jasminoides, but in 5 years time they could have moved, that may have died and I might be looking at rampant ivy.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    If it’s an HMO, rampant ivy might be the least of their problems!
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 11th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    Rampant ivy - that's an idea. I shall pop in the garden centre and look for that variety. I won't even need the trellis
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,335Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin