Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trumpeter
    • By trumpeter 10th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    trumpeter
    Lettings fee down the drain?
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    Lettings fee down the drain? 10th Oct 17 at 11:20 PM
    My daughter, a 2nd year student, viewed a flat through a lettings agent. She decided to take the flat and, against my wife's advice, paid over £200 upfront in fees. She didn't pay any deposit at the time. After discussion with my wife and I, she changed her mind.

It seems to me an awfully expensive way to learn this particular lesson.
    The lettings agent says the fee is non-refundable, though my daughter says this was not made clear to her.

To me, it does seem reasonable that there should be some payment. But £200 from a student for 20 minutes work doesn't seem fair.

My wife has been telephoning this company repeatedly, trying to talk to the agent involved. But the lady is always in a meeting, or unavailable, and promises to call back but doesn't. The company is Lettings Angels, Woodville Road, Cardiff, by the way.

Any advice with regard to anything we could do to recover at least some of the money would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks, Neil
Page 1
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    To me, it does seem reasonable that there should be some payment. But £200 from a student for 20 minutes work doesn't seem fair.
    Originally posted by trumpeter
    What work has exactly been done? How long has it been when changed mind?
    Last edited by cjdavies; 10-10-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 10th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 5,037 Posts
    • 4,381 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    1. so daughter pulled out of her own (parental decided) volition
    2. daughter does or does not have any paperwork explaining what the "fee" relates to?
    3. agent may or may not be required to refund in full, part, or not at all, depending on paperwork
    4. wife can press as much as she wants but it comes down to goodwill towards the daughter by the agent (if there is nothing in writing) at which stage point 1 above returns into the equation

a very aptly named thread - down the drain to learn a lesson
    Last edited by 00ec25; 11-10-2017 at 3:10 PM.
    • NinaSwiss
    • By NinaSwiss 10th Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    NinaSwiss
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    My daughter, a 2nd year student, viewed a flat through a lettings agent. She decided to take the flat and, against my wife's advice, paid over £200 upfront in fees. She didn't pay any deposit at the time. After discussion with my wife and I, she changed her mind.

The lettings agent says the fee is non-refundable, though my daughter says this was not made clear to her.

My wife has been telephoning this company repeatedly, trying to talk to the agent involved. But the lady is always in a meeting, or unavailable, and promises to call back but doesn't. The company is Lettings Angels, Woodville Road, Cardiff, by the way.

Any advice with regard to anything we could do to recover at least some of the money would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks, Neil
    If the fee was neither deposit nor rent, was it a holding fee ?
    Working towards:
    *House Purchase (2015)
    *Top-up pension (2016) *Clear CC (2016)
    *Mortgage
    Overpayment (50% LTV by Jan 2020) *Clear student Loan(by Jan 2020)*Save for a Car (2017)!
    *Making the most of life!!!
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 11th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 848 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    What did the 'upfront fees' cover? In general, if daughter 'bought' a service e.g. reference checking, tenancy agreement drafting etc the default is NON refundable unless explicitly mentioned otherwise. The fact that it was an expensive service doesn't change that.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:33 AM

Many thanks, Neil

1: They are not obliged to talk to you at all
    2: Why would your daughter be due a refund, she withdrew from the deal?
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 11th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    Wyndham
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    1: They are not obliged to talk to you at all
    2: Why would your daughter be due a refund, she withdrew from the deal?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Exactly! It's up to her to pursue if she wishes to do so. And actually if they do talk to you about it they are breaking the data protection act.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 11th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Car1980
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    What’s the problem? Perfectly normal to pay a non-refundable holding fee and credit check fee of about £200 and then you pay the deposit when you pick up the keys.

If you pull out if the deal you lose the holding/credit fee.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    Being a student is not relevant. She should be compensated the £200 by whoever changed her mind...........................
    • trumpeter
    • By trumpeter 11th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    trumpeter
    Thanks folks. I get the message.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,861Posts Today

6,003Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin