Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • i want to believe
    • By i want to believe 10th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 130Posts
    • 254Thanks
    i want to believe
    Faulty TV
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    Faulty TV 10th Oct 17 at 9:14 PM
    Bought a Samsung TV in August 2016 (£995)
    Has developed a band of black shadow down the middle of the screen.
    What are my options regards replacement/repair or is it tough luck!

Thank you
Page 1
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 10th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    You will be protected under the Consumer Rights Act. It states goods should be of satisfactory quality for the price paid, fit for purpose and as described. You have six years in which to bring a claim. You would reasonably expect a £995 TV to last longer than a year and a couple of months - which is why you will be covered. Your claim is against the retailer and NOT the manufacturer.

A few pointers. This is nothing to do with the manufacturers 12 month warranty. You are making a claim under the Consumer Rights Act. I mention this as some retailers will try and fob you off by saying your TV is out of warranty. That maybe the case, but that does not affect your statutory rights.

Also, while some retailers will simply accept that it is unreasonable for such a new and expensive TV to develop a fault and will refund you without a fight, others will want you to prove that the fault was an inherent one with the TV before they issue a refund. You might have to pay for an independent report - the cost of which would be reimbursed by the retailer so long as it shows the TV was inherently faulty when purchased (in other words you haven't poured orange juice down the back of it or dropped it).

Whatever happens, the retailer can legally deduct fair usage for the time that the TV was working - you would expect a TV to last say five years, so they will deduct about a fifth of the purchase price.

PS. I've spoken about a refund - but you could reasonably expect a repair as well

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by SouthUKMan; 10-10-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    • 3,908 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    Bought a Samsung TV in August 2016 (£995)
    Has developed a band of black shadow down the middle of the screen.
    What are my options regards replacement/repair or is it tough luck!

Thank you
    Originally posted by i want to believe
    Who did you buy from?
    • i want to believe
    • By i want to believe 11th Oct 17, 5:11 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    i want to believe
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:11 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:11 AM
    It was purchased from Currys
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 11th Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    Although your rights are with the retailer it can sometimes be easier to deal with the manufacturer, have you double checked your warranty period? Some Samsung’s come with a 2 or 5 year warranty, I think the five years tend to be on the top of the range £2k+ models but you might be lucky and have one in the two year warranty bracket
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,941Posts Today

5,649Users online

Martin's Twitter