Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Campbellooo
    • By Campbellooo 10th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Campbellooo
    Part buy question and problems
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    Part buy question and problems 10th Oct 17 at 7:10 PM
    Hi,

My wife has a part buy home bought through the Lift scheme in Scotland, she bought this before we met and got together and I moved in 2 years later.

It is a 2 bedroom flat and now we have 2 children and are looking to move and this is where the problem lies.

She owns 60% of the property and the company the other 40, she has £43000 left on the mortgage, the flat was valued at £90000 which would give us £11000 after selling, but there are hidden costs for the other company, we must pay there solicitors and admin fees give them there 40% and for some reason an additional 1% plus pay our own solicitors fees for selling and buying,

Which would leave us with £5000 but they have said they cannot help us buy another house, the council will not home us as we are 'making ourselves homeless' by selling, they will not allow any formal of swap.

We have even asked if we can remove a few walls at our own cost to create another room but they said we need solicitor letters and permits before they will make a decision if we are even allowed to.

The other problem is, as I have married someone who has had help it now means they won't help me despite me never owning a property or being on any mortgage.

I know it's a long story but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    All the money seems to be coming from your wife's investment in the flat. What you need to do is to put your savings into this. Why should they help you when you should have savings of your own and not need to rely entirely on what your wife has saved?
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 11th Oct 17, 6:41 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 3,497 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:41 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:41 AM
    Agree with Cakeguts - you'll need to use you own savings to be able to afford a bigger home - or make do with what you've got.

Your post comes across as a little whiny - you are fortunate in that you have a home and I see no reason why the Council are obligated to help you. You chose to have two children while living in a flat that's apparently unsuitable for your needs.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 11th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    I know it's a long story but any advice would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by Campbellooo
    Simple advice, though it may not be what you want to hear. In the good old days when people wanted to buy a house they scrimped and saved every penny they could, perhaps took a 2nd job, didn't go on holiday and after a while they would have saved some money which is called a deposit. then they would go to a mortgage adviser and see about getting a mortgage that would allow them to buy a home.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 11th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    Get your solicitor to go over the T&Cs. Why should you have to pay the other party's legal fees.

Did you agree to that in writing?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 3,755 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    Get your solicitor to go over the T&Cs. Why should you have to pay the other party's legal fees.

Did you agree to that in writing?
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    That is a requirement of the LIFT scheme
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,306Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin