Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 10th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3,130Posts
    • 1,289Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Why isn't 2GB RAM enough for my W8.1 laptop?
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    Why isn't 2GB RAM enough for my W8.1 laptop? 10th Oct 17 at 7:01 PM
    Firefox sometimes crashes when I haven't manually opened anything else such as Notepad, Paint etc. I get the low memory warnings beforehand though, so the problem is obvious but the solution isn't. I know Trustee Rapport uses a fair bit but really need it when I bank online as I don't have a smartphone on which to use the safer app.
    Why are my programs 32-bit when the OS is 64-bit?

32bit.png
    OR
    [img=http://www53.zippyshare.com/thumb/y5zZm43X/file.html][/img]
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 10-10-2017 at 7:07 PM.
Page 2
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 12th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Utter codswallop. Why do people continue to trot out this rubbish? 64 bit versions of Windows ALLOW YOU TO USE MORE RAM than 32 bit versions, due to the fact the maximum addressable memory with 32 bits is 4GB, they don't require more. With two equivalent installations of Windows, one 32 bit and one 64bit, you'll see maybe at most 100MB difference in memory usage..
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    What Johnmcl7 said is perfectly true, however I suspect you are misinterpretating what they said. 64-bit Windows does use more memory and harddrive space. Although what you said about 64-bit allowing the computer to use more RAM is true. However the keyword here is "allowing" - just as it allows more RAM, it also consumes more resources.

Here is the proof from my virtual machine.

32-bit RAM usage:

32-bit harddrive usage:

64-bit RAM usage:

64-bit harddrive usage:

I am sure you will agree that the 64-bit version of Windows is using more RAM and storage space than 32-bit Windows in the above images. The system was left idle for several minutes after installing Windows.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke
    Just my opinion but 2GB is probably fine with something other than Windows. Ubuntu for example with a half decent processor and 2GB RAM will be more usable. Linux Mint is a bit more of a resource hog, but if you want your 'favourite OS', then you kind of need to abide by its rules and Windows 8, or even Windows 7 tend to hog resources quite a bit. I've not had a machine running Windows with just 2GB of RAM for almost 10 years. 4GB Is the minimum these days. You might find without any software that the OS works okay, but once you start installing this and that, you'll struggle.

If you're willing to experiment, Linux... honestly.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 12th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    That will probly be a ribbon cable possibly for the keyboard, be careful, I have ripped those in the past
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Well you shouldn't keep running with scissors then, should you.

to the OP:- check out blackviper's W7 configurations, and see how much unneeded startup crap you can disable, makes a LOT of difference, you do this via Services, found in Control Panel . Administrative Tools....
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Did you mean W8.1?
    There, they say to go via Programs and Features. I don't have to go through all that antiquated typing to get to the Control Panel, do I?

Hmm...probably not a good idea to antagonize those who rue the fact that millions use computers without even knowing what a command line is, let alone how to use one
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 12-10-2017 at 8:26 PM.
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 12th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    lmao at 2GB, my Firefox memory usage gets to 12GB at times and now after recently starting was using 1.6GB. My other PC has 4GB and I struggle with that.

Moo0 Window menu plus has reduced it a bit down to about 1.1GB.

ZX81, I had one of those with the power plug that wobbled in the socket if you pressed the "touch" sensitive keyboard, resetting it until I soldered the wire directly to the circuit board, followed by a Spectrum, Enterprise 128KB and Amiga 500.
    Last edited by A.Penny.Saved; 12-10-2017 at 9:23 PM.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 13th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    Well you shouldn't keep running with scissors then, should you.

Did you mean W8.1?
    There, they say to go via Programs and Features. I don't have to go through all that antiquated typing to get to the Control Panel, do I?

Hmm...probably not a good idea to antagonize those who rue the fact that millions use computers without even knowing what a command line is, let alone how to use one
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    Yes, the W8.1 config in your case.... you should get to the point where there's less than 40 processes running when your machine is idle, and only using half or less of your RAM...

However you get to Services is entirely up to you, you could just Run services.msc....I'm deffo Old-School
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 13th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,548 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Utter codswallop. Why do people continue to trot out this rubbish? 64 bit versions of Windows ALLOW YOU TO USE MORE RAM than 32 bit versions, due to the fact the maximum addressable memory with 32 bits is 4GB, they don't require more. With two equivalent installations of Windows, one 32 bit and one 64bit, you'll see maybe at most 100MB difference in memory usage..
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    People 'trot out this rubbish' because they clearly know a lot more about 64-bit software than you do. While it is true that a 64-bit operating system allows more ram to be used, 64-bit applications and operating systems require more memory than an equivalent 32-bit application:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/maoni/2007/05/15/64-bit-vs-32-bit/

Or more simply, check the requirements for Windows 8:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12660/windows-8-system-requirements

Although 64-bit doesn't necessarily need twice as much memory, it does need more which is why Microsoft have higher requirements for the 64-bit version. With 2GB of ram on a 64-bit OS, the machine is barely meeting the minimum requirements but if it was running the 32-bit version of the OS then the 2GB ram gives it more headroom.

I've come across a variety of OEM builds that use the 64-bit OS on a low spec laptop with 2GB ram and struggling for memory, if upgrading the ram isn't an option then I've found rebuilding it with a 32-bit OS does benefit it particularly when as you do agree, there's no benefit to the 64-bit OS when the PC doesn't have a larger amount of memory.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin