Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 10th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3,124Posts
    • 1,287Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Why isn't 2GB RAM enough for my W8.1 laptop?
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    Why isn't 2GB RAM enough for my W8.1 laptop? 10th Oct 17 at 7:01 PM
    Firefox sometimes crashes when I haven't manually opened anything else such as Notepad, Paint etc. I get the low memory warnings beforehand though, so the problem is obvious but the solution isn't. I know Trustee Rapport uses a fair bit but really need it when I bank online as I don't have a smartphone on which to use the safer app.
    Why are my programs 32-bit when the OS is 64-bit?

32bit.png
    OR
    [img=http://www53.zippyshare.com/thumb/y5zZm43X/file.html][/img]
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 10-10-2017 at 7:07 PM.
Page 1
    • Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 10th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Lambyr
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    Not all applications are 64bit. In fact, the majority of applications are still 32bit.

How many extensions is your Firefox running? I have Firefox open with 1 tab but a bunch of different extensions and it's using 650MB of memory.

2GB is the minimum amount of RAM for Windows 8.1 64-bit so will always run into problems, unfortunately, if you push it too far, run a lot of extensions, have too many background processes, or if any of your applications suffer from memory leaks.

You've probably already Googled for this but just in case, here are some suggestions from Mozilla on trimming Firefox's memory usage - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-ram
    Last edited by Lambyr; 10-10-2017 at 7:14 PM.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 10th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    Part of the problem is running a 64-bit operating system with just 2GB of ram as that version of the OS needs more ram (as do any 64-bit applications) than a 32-bit version. One of the primary advantages of a 64-bit operating system is being able to address larger amounts of memory which is of no benefit to a machine with a lower amount of memory.

John
    • Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 10th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Lambyr
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    Some of the apps you have running in the screenshot such as the SeriousBit Network Load Balancer and the Panda Anti-Phishing app may not be entirely necessary to run and could free up some RAM by closing or removing the programs. I know the latter is often bundled with third-party apps so may have been accidentally installed, although I also understand that you may have installed it for a reason.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    Some of the apps you have running in the screenshot such as the SeriousBit Network Load Balancer and the Panda Anti-Phishing app may not be entirely necessary
    Originally posted by Lambyr

This ^^^
    2Gb is really bare minimum so if you don't want to shell out a few quid for a bit more RAM then you will need to run a tighter ship.

An excellent start would be to remove the crapware highlighted above.
    You don't need that god awful trusteer rubbish, unless you intend to let Indian scammers remotely control your machine. No matter how hard your bank tries to push it on you ..
    (Santander I'm looking at you)

RAM is cheap as chips these days, just get yourself another 2gig stick to go with the one you have.

Infact, if its PC2 or 3 iv probly got some floating around you can have for free, just PM me and send me a self addressed envelope and its urs
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 10th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    OK I realize I've got a lot on the start-up but this isn't XP, so trimming it isn't going to launch it much quicker, particularly as I usually hibernate.

I've uninstalled Seriousbit and only have one Firefox tab open on one window, so why's it showing as two?
    Also, I've closed BBC iPlayer and as you can see, the option is to relaunch. Why would that be showing as open?
    bbc.png
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 10-10-2017 at 7:47 PM.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 10th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Korkyb
    Unfortunately RAM isn't cheap as chips at the moment - check out current prices....

Good old Brexit :-)
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    Unfortunately RAM isn't cheap as chips at the moment - check out current prices....

Good old Brexit :-)
    Originally posted by Korkyb

Around 20 squid for 2gig.

I remember paying £100+ for a 16k ram pack (yep K)

#reminisces
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    OK I realize I've got a lot on the start-up but this isn't XP, so trimming it isn't going to launch it much quicker, particularly as I usually hibernate.
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders

Its not about start up per-se , but more about what you have running in the background
    (Using memory)
    Also, its good to do a proper shut down quite often rather than hibernate.
    Rogue stuff can hog memory and not release it properly
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 6,211 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Hibernate as AndyPix says, occasionally yes but only occasionally. Switch on make a coffee open a tinnie or whatever
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 10th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Infact, if its PC2 or 3 iv probly got some floating around you can have for free, just PM me and send me a self addressed envelope and its urs
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Thank you, that's a very generous offer. I've just had the back off for the first time and encountered a shallow tray with what looks like photographic negative film at the bottom. What's that all about?

Its not about start up per-se , but more about what you have running in the background (Using memory)
    Yeah I know, just trying to rebuff criticism on that score. I tend to do the full shutdown before I visit the library, so any updates get downloaded there. Is there any other reason (apart from updates) to do that?
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 10-10-2017 at 8:32 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    AndyPix
    what looks like photographic negative film at the bottom. What's that all about?
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders

That will probly be a ribbon cable possibly for the keyboard, be careful, I have ripped those in the past
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 25,872 Posts
    • 10,301 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    WHY do you need Trusteer Rapport??? Never ever used it, its awful...

How many anti-phising programs do you need, if your answer = more than none then your wrong..

You appear to have security issues in many senses of the word. Scale back, one firewall that is just a firewall and one av thats just an AV without all the junk they wish to push onto you.

You hibernate so the OS doesnt get a clean start, all the junk stuck in the memory and not freeing it is still taking it up.

Start by dumping all that junk and give it a proper shutdown and restart.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 10th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    Start by dumping all that junk and give it a proper shutdown and restart.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Be aware that (unless you changed the default Fast Startup setting) a 'proper shutdown' isn't achieved by selecting 'Shut Down'. (Because the default version is a type of Hibernate.)

However a Restart is always a proper Restart.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 10th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    That will probly be a ribbon cable possibly for the keyboard, be careful, I have ripped those in the past
    I thought only typewriters had those! It's actually a sheet which covers the entire base of said tray, which is about 4" x 3". It's screwed to a larger rectangle of plastic, which itself has its own set of screws, so I'm unsure which rectangle to unscrew! Things were much easier on the Asus Eee....

How many anti-phishing programs do you need, if your answer = more than none then you're wrong..
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    That made me laugh! I guess I'm trying to compensate for only using the free version of Panda.
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 11-10-2017 at 9:46 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Part of the problem is running a 64-bit operating system with just 2GB of ram as that version of the OS needs more ram (as do any 64-bit applications) than a 32-bit version.
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    Utter codswallop. Why do people continue to trot out this rubbish? 64 bit versions of Windows ALLOW YOU TO USE MORE RAM than 32 bit versions, due to the fact the maximum addressable memory with 32 bits is 4GB, they don't require more. With two equivalent installations of Windows, one 32 bit and one 64bit, you'll see maybe at most 100MB difference in memory usage..
    Last edited by Tarambor; 11-10-2017 at 6:17 PM.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 11th Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Utter codswallop. Why do people continue to trot out this rubbish? 64 bit versions of Windows ALLOW YOU TO USE MORE RAM than 32 bit versions, due to the fact the maximum addressable memory with 32 bits is 4GB, they don't require more. With two equivalent installations of Windows, one 32 bit and one 64bit, you'll see maybe at most 100MB difference in memory usage..
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Okay... but since OP only has 2Gb of physical ram, an argument about being able to address more ram would seem irrelevant.

100MB would be 5% of 2GB - that seems pretty signifcant to me, when you're running short.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 7,296 Thanks
    GunJack
    Around 20 squid for 2gig.

I remember paying £100+ for a 16k ram pack (yep K)

#reminisces
    ZX81 perchance??

to the OP:- check out blackviper's W7 configurations, and see how much unneeded startup crap you can disable, makes a LOT of difference, you do this via Services, found in Control Panel . Administrative Tools....those, along with turning off all the third-party programs & services from startup, will help a lot

http://www.blackviper.com/

note - some of the programs can be stopped from starting up using msconfig, but I tend to find it cleaner via Services..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ZX81 perchance..
    Originally posted by GunJack

Ahh - yes exactly ..

1K Ram, no colour or sound .. Those were the days . etc
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 12th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 7,296 Thanks
    GunJack
    Ahh - yes exactly ..

1K Ram, no colour or sound .. Those were the days . etc
    me too

...and only needed 1K to play basic space invaders - we're probably talking 200+MEG these days
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

2,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin