Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 3,690Posts
    • 1,468Thanks
    footyguy
    Scottish government to set up a publicly-owned, not-for-profit energy company
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    Scottish government to set up a publicly-owned, not-for-profit energy company 10th Oct 17 at 6:14 PM
    Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed the Scottish Government will set up publicly-owned, not-for-profit energy company that will sell energy to customers at "as close to cost price as possible".

It should be set up by 2021.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41560397

But I'm not sure how this will be significantly different compared to Our Power, a not for profit energy supplier the Scottish Government helped set up with £2.5m some 2 years ago ...

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-33528729
Page 1
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 11th Oct 17, 12:04 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:04 AM
    Surpised there aren't comments on this
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:04 AM
    I'm sure I've seen this very thing suggested on here. It seems to be it's worth a shot, it might help keep the other suppleirs honest and the competition from other suppliers will avoid the common refrain that state ownership means there is no incentive to be efficient.

I look forward to seeing how this develops. If it flops then maybe it's true to say being a power supplier isn't that profitable.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • Chimpofdoom
    • By Chimpofdoom 11th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Chimpofdoom
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    But I'm not sure how this will be significantly different compared to Our Power, a not for profit energy supplier the Scottish Government helped set up with £2.5m some 2 years ago ...

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-33528729
    Interesting.

Never knew about this and it's cheaper than the collective switch (which was cheapest when I signed up).
    To the internet.. I need to complain about something!
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 11th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    I'm sure I've seen this very thing suggested on here. It seems to be it's worth a shot, it might help keep the other suppleirs honest and the competition from other suppliers will avoid the common refrain that state ownership means there is no incentive to be efficient.

I look forward to seeing how this develops. If it flops then maybe it's true to say being a power supplier isn't that profitable.
    Originally posted by davidgmmafan
    Great idea. I am sure it will be as successful as Police Scotland, Scottish Fire and Rescue and the Scottish education system.

They no doubt will have to put Scottish in the name though. Perhaps Scottish National Power?

It will be paid for of course by the extra income tax per year that some pay for having an address in Scotland.
    Last edited by Hasbeen; 11-10-2017 at 1:00 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    I wonder if the date has anything to do with the EU's State Aid rules (which can apply to welfare/not for profit structures). By then, we wont be in the EU. I would have thought that with a bit of will an energy supplier could be set up in weeks not years.
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 11th Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    Erm what? What relevance does this have to the actual post though? Ie the idea of a state owned provider as an alternative to private power companies.

Feel free to time in.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin