Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BellaIM
    • By BellaIM 10th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BellaIM
    0 WOW
    Help with cancellation fees!
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Help with cancellation fees! 10th Oct 17 at 5:42 PM
    Any help appreciated!

I booked an apartment in Italy in a small complex for next May through Booking . Com
    At the time of booking it did state that the usual check in time was up to 6pm, but booking.com just stated that we could request a late check in at the time of booking.

Therefore I went ahead and booked, with an accompanying message requesting a late check in. In this message I explained that this was because our flight didn't land until 7.15pm. There was no option to message the apartment until booking.

I have since received a message stating that they can't accommodate a check in any later than 9pm, and that they can see, given my flight time, I won't arrive until 10-10.30pm. So they suggested I could cancel the booking but would incur a 30% fee.

I have contacted the apartment complex and booking.com, to explain that I obviously can't arrive any earlier as the flight is booked, and I'm arriving with a 5 year old and therefore can't be left with nowhere to stay the first night! I asked that they waive the cancellation fee given they can't accommodate the check in, but they have refused, and booking.com have said they have the right to refuse check in AND to still charge me a cancellation fee.

All this seems very unfair...is there anything I can do? TIA xx
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 18,198 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    Is there a hotel near your arrival airport where you could stay the first night that costs less than the 30% cancellation fee?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 10th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    If having a much later check in was imperative it would gave wise to email or ring the apartments prior to booking, or to book a refundable room. A request is just that and doesn't form part of a contract so they are within their rights to charge fees in line with the fees stated when you booked.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 10th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Westin
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    I would agree with LeylandSunaddict comments but if BellaIM can either post a link or let us know the name of the apartment complex then perhaps we can look and comment on whether it viewed as fair that a cancellation penalty is waived, or not.
    • BellaIM
    • By BellaIM 10th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BellaIM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    There may be a hotel near the airport we could book, but then we'll have to pay for a room there plus the apartment which they won't let us into!
    There wasn't an option on booking.com to contact them beforehand to check, although I guess I could have looked for a private website and tried to contact them that way. You just don't expect these things to sting you when you book through a well known intermediary! Booking.com phrased it as if I just had to request a late check in and all would be fine!
    The apartments were Villa Anna in Baveno, Lake Maggiore.

Many thanks.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 18,198 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    There may be a hotel near the airport we could book, but then we'll have to pay for a room there plus the apartment which they won't let us into!...
    Originally posted by BellaIM
    Why won't they let you check in the day after your flight arrives?

Which airport do you arrive at and which airline are you flying on?
    • Westin
    • By Westin 10th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Westin
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    Listed on booking.com under Policies of Villa Anna it states:-

"Policies of Villa Anna

Villa Anna takes special requests - add in the next step!

Check-in
    14:00 - 20:00 hours

Check-out
    07:30 - 10:30 hours"

From this personally I think the check-in option is clear. It is between 14:00 and up to 20:00.

You may have assumed that you could add a special request at the next stage of the booking process regarding a late check-in but I don't see this linked to any suggestion that a later check-in would be possible, just that any other special requests (room close to...etc., baby cot etc..) could be added at the next stage. In hindsight you probably should have made contact with the property prior to booking if the stated check-in policy did not suit and you wanted to see if a later option was available.

Booking.com is only a booking portal for the accommodation supplier. The accommodation management has the say on if they will waiver the cancellation fee. I think given that it is for May 2018 that they could be a little more flexible and refund your deposit but I think that you also hold some responsibility for booking something when it seems clear what the properties check-in policy is.

Hope it works out for you.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Oct 17, 11:18 PM
    • 8,944 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:18 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:18 PM
    It appears they have reduced their cancellation fee from 50% to 30%.

I try to book accommodation offering free cancellation.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • BellaIM
    • By BellaIM 11th Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BellaIM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    Westin I didn't just assume I could request a late check in, Booking.com clearly stated on their page when I was browsing the property, that if I wanted a late check in I could just request one. Which clearly is misleading and not in alignment with the apartment policy if they can't accommodate that.

And the cancellation fee was actually stated at €180 at the time of booking, not even 30%, but then 30% was in the small print elsewhere...I have an email from booking.com with both figures on. More confusion!
    • Westin
    • By Westin 11th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Westin
    Perhaps they have since changed this on their web page then as I can't seem to see, when I have tried to replicate an enquiry, any comment about requesting a late check-in.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/villa-anna-baveno.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQOYAS64AQfIAQ3YAQHo AQH4AQuSAgF5qAID;sid=7665c9abd584fd818114dbc461709 6c3;checkin=2018-05-22;checkout=2018-05-27;dest_id=-111358;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;hapos= 1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;soh=1;soldout=0% 2C0;srepoch=1507704313;srfid=44b495c4b7579cd68d397 c0cec6825fbea7aaf4aX1;srpvid=f0552f7cf2bc0274;type =total;ucfs=1&
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 11th Oct 17, 8:10 AM
    • 4,661 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    It does say on that link they take special requests relating to check in and out, so one would assume there will be no problem
    travelover
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 18,610 Posts
    • 42,751 Thanks
    peachyprice
    OP, you can have a late check-in, but only until 9pm, which is still 3 hours after normal check-in and an hour after their stated late check-in. I don't think it's unreasonable that they won't wait any later.

I'm assuming you're flying in to Malpensa? How are you getting to Maggiore? It's about an hours drive to Baveno, you could make it by 9pm, Malpensa doesn't take too long to get out of.

Could you reach a compromise and book one night less at the apartment then book a room at an hotel near the airport for the first night?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • BellaIM
    • By BellaIM 11th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BellaIM
    I don't think it's unreasonable not to offer a late check in, but it's something I've been told I can request at booking, so I did that, with an explanation why I needed it, including my flight times, if they can't accommodate that they should not accept the booking. They shouldn't accept a booking when they know they cannot facilitate the first night.
    I actually thought we might make it for 9pm, but it's them that have said to me that I won't, and therefore they can't check us in. And they have said we can't just change that first night, we either have to go ahead with the whole booking, or cancel it and pay a fee

Does anyone know if I have any legal rights here? Or have I just been completely duped and ripped off ��
    • photome
    • By photome 11th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 12,728 Posts
    • 8,206 Thanks
    photome
    I understand your frustration but don't think you have been duped or ripped off.

The late chaeck in was a request and they have denied it.

The simplest way is a cheap airport hotel on arrival and check in the next day, it's going to cost you but most likely less than the €180 cancellation charge.

I would have got confirmation from the villa that an extra late check in was possible before booking a flight and or booked somewhere with no cancellation charges
    Last edited by photome; 11-10-2017 at 4:06 PM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 18,198 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    richardw
    How much is it to get an earlier flight?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 11th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I don't think it's unreasonable not to offer a late check in, but it's something I've been told I can request at booking, so I did that, with an explanation why I needed it, including my flight times, if they can't accommodate that they should not accept the booking.
    Originally posted by BellaIM
    But they DO offer late check-in, just not late enough for you to make it. As above, just because you can request something does not guarantee that it will be granted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

930Posts Today

6,780Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Today's Twitter poll: If you had to pick one, who do you think is coming out best so far in the Brexit negotiations, UK or EU?

• It isn't an article by me.I don't write for express. They just cunningly report my tv appearances as if I did. https://t.co/0DDfDU7Kbp

• Follow Martin