Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beedmcfc
    • By beedmcfc 10th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 4Thanks
    beedmcfc
    Transfer of Equity - legal advice also required
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    Transfer of Equity - legal advice also required 10th Oct 17 at 5:27 PM
    Hi,

I'll try make this as simple as possible

Current Situation

Currently living with partner and our 1 year old baby.
    We have split up but are still living under the same roof until she moves out......with baby.

We've been together 7 years or so, living together for the last 4 and half years.

For the first 3 and half years she lived me with me in my old house, she never contributed to any bills etc - I didn't ask for anything as she didn't (and still doesn't) earn a lot of money. She would obviously buy bits of shopping etc

Last November, we bought a bigger house, no financial input from partner, used all my equity. Any money left over, we used to buy fitted wardrobes/carpets etc she now contributes just less than a third of the monthly bills

Being the good egg I am, I added her to the mortgage. So now comes the tricky bit, removing her from the mortgage. I'm applying for a transfer of equity so the questions are:-

If she digs her heels in demands I sell the house, how do I stand legally? Would she get anything if it went to court?

I also have a 9yr old son from a previous relationship who I pay monthly payments for, hence why I want to keep the house to see both my kids.

everybody tries to understand art, why not try to understand the song of a bird - pablo picasso
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,655 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    When you jointly purchased the new property did you get a declaration of trust drawn up? Do you own the property as joint tenants or tenants in common?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • beedmcfc
    • By beedmcfc 10th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    beedmcfc
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    I can't remember to be honest

I presume we're joint owners
    everybody tries to understand art, why not try to understand the song of a bird - pablo picasso
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,040Posts Today

7,034Users online

Martin's Twitter