Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 5,065Posts
    • 10,327Thanks
    iammumtoone
    unpaid case - ebay
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    unpaid case - ebay 10th Oct 17 at 4:31 PM
    Is the unpaid case automatic on ebay or does the seller have to instigate it?

Thanks
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

Page 2
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 11,089 Posts
    • 7,424 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Technically you have 6 days to pay before you can be given a strike, so your time limit would have expired on this Friday night if seller had chosen to set the INR mechanism rolling as soon as possible. That's 2 days before an INR can be opened plus a further 4 days for it to be closed.

The other thing to consider is that the seller may have a time frame to post, I sell on a private account using auction style and would sell up to approx. 7 days before I go on holiday as that leaves me enough time to get an INR open and closed if necessary. If I am unlucky enough to get a tardy payer pre holiday then I also might open a n INR on day 3, purely so I don't have to go on holiday worrying about whether someone pays and how I can get their item sent.

Speaking as a seller I find people either pay within about 2-3 days of purchase and those that take longer often don't pay at all, so I need them weeded out so I can relist and move on.

Lastly bearing in mind there is a possible RM strike next week the seller is probably anxious to get your item posted ASAP so it can be in the system and delivered before any strike action. Many sellers have experienced buyers who pay late and then suddenly find messages insisting on speedy postage and delivery as the item is urgent.
    Originally posted by soolin
    All very good points and it's clear that some buyers only think about their situation and not about what's happening at the seller's end.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 11th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Technically you have 6 days to pay before you can be given a strike, so your time limit would have expired on this Friday night if seller had chosen to set the INR mechanism rolling as soon as possible. That's 2 days before an INR can be opened plus a further 4 days for it to be closed.

The other thing to consider is that the seller may have a time frame to post, I sell on a private account using auction style and would sell up to approx. 7 days before I go on holiday as that leaves me enough time to get an INR open and closed if necessary. If I am unlucky enough to get a tardy payer pre holiday then I also might open a n INR on day 3, purely so I don't have to go on holiday worrying about whether someone pays and how I can get their item sent.

Speaking as a seller I find people either pay within about 2-3 days of purchase and those that take longer often don't pay at all, so I need them weeded out so I can relist and move on.

Lastly bearing in mind there is a possible RM strike next week the seller is probably anxious to get your item posted ASAP so it can be in the system and delivered before any strike action. Many sellers have experienced buyers who pay late and then suddenly find messages insisting on speedy postage and delivery as the item is urgent.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Yes technically it could have expired very late Friday night instead it was set to expire early Saturday morning so only a few hours in it. Like me I expect they were in bed when the exact time was to set an INR so they did it first thing the next morning.

I still think they were very sharp in opening a case I looked within 2 half days so would have meet your 3 day time frame

I take your point about buyers not paying with 2-3 days but I would have been within that time frame and even that is late for me.

I still am surprised a case can be opened that quick.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• BadBehaviour
    • By BadBehaviour 14th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    BadBehaviour
    I understand your point of view as the buyer who didn't intentionally forget to pay but in my case after dealing with non payers for 3 times I now have it set up to open unpaid cases automatically out of frustration.
    Last time they messed me about with my Macbook worth £1K. No communication from the buyer. Knew immediately they wouldn't pay when I saw it was someone with 0 feedbacks... Now I have the buy it now also set up to require immediate payment to be completed.

Some buyers can be really a pain in the a$$. I remember selling my Apple Watch to someone who then wanted to cancel the transaction (had used promotion on final fees as well!) because they realised it was 38mm and not 42 and I said it was 38mm in the listing title!!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 14th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Well my delivery arrived. I am not happy

The items stink of smoke as they are plastic not sure if the smell will go or if I will have to dispose of them.

I realise this is my fault, the lisiting did not state smoke free. I really should learn to check but I buy alot from ebay and the majority of the time non smokers don't write smoke free.
    • stressedaah30
    • By stressedaah30 14th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 10,918 Thanks
    stressedaah30
    i got abuse from a buyer as ebay had opened a case after 2 days i thought it was upto seller to open i have since changed settings
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 14th Oct 17, 11:47 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    i got abuse from a buyer as ebay had opened a case after 2 days i thought it was upto seller to open i have since changed settings
    Originally posted by stressedaah30
    oh gosh thats a bit harsh. Admittedly I had a moan about it on here but I would never contact the seller direct as they were only doing what they were allowed as per ebay rules.

The only minor strop I displayed was paying a day later than I would have if the case hadn't been opened, that was me being a rebel
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 11,089 Posts
    • 7,424 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    not sure if the smell will go or if I will have to dispose of them.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Why?

Open a returns case.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 15th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Why?

Open a returns case.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Its a private seller and they dont accept returns.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 15th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marcon
    Given the fuss you've made about this, you were always going to find fault with the item. Find something real to get het up about and stop worrying about nothing.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 15th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Given the fuss you've made about this, you were always going to find fault with the item. Find something real to get het up about and stop worrying about nothing.
    Originally posted by Marcon
    If you read my post you will see that I admitted that the issue was my fault, I should have checked.

I am annoyed, with myself more than anything, the items stink. I have left them in the shed hoping the smell will fade but as smoke gets into plastic I am not sure it will go away completly.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 11,089 Posts
    • 7,424 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Its a private seller and they dont accept returns.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I have to agree with the sentiment that "late payers" (those who get an unpaid reminder) - and I am not suggesting that is you - always go on to have INR or SNAD in my experience.

That aside. There is nothing to stop you messaging the seller and explaining the item smells of smoke and asking for a return. Personally if the item description didn't say it would smell of smoke I would be opening a SNAD. I don't smoke and have never done so and would not expect anything I buy to be smelling of smoke.

Others may disagree but I don't think you should have to a) ask if the item is not smelling of smoke (b) ask if the item is in a smoke free home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,321Posts Today

7,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin