Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 5,065Posts
    • 10,327Thanks
    iammumtoone
    unpaid case - ebay
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    unpaid case - ebay 10th Oct 17 at 4:31 PM
    Is the unpaid case automatic on ebay or does the seller have to instigate it?

Thanks
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 11,090 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    Unless the seller has the unpaid assistant set up, then it needs to be done manually.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    thank you I had a bid on ending on late Sat night I completely forgot about it until now, just been to check I won but already have an unpaid case against me

Its a private seller, business I would understand they sell loads of items so don't have time to communicate individually but as a private seller a quick message first would have been polite.

I normally pay straight away once I realise I need to but I might leave this one for a while now, I am in that kind of mood today.

Puts on tin hat waiting to be berated that I should keep a better check but life gets in the way and the case was opened first thing this morning, that's not a lot of grace given.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 10-10-2017 at 5:31 PM.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 10th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    Unfortunately some sellers (and buyers) forget they are dealing with other humans who occasionally make mistakes.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 59,287 Posts
    • 42,023 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    thank you I had a bid on ending on late Sat night I completely forgot about it until now, just been to check I won but already have an unpaid case against me

Its a private seller, business I would understand they sell loads of items so don't have time to communicate individually but as a private seller a quick message first would have been polite.

I normally pay straight away once I realise I need to but I might leave this one for a while now, I am in that kind of mood today.

Puts on tin hat waiting to be berated that I should keep a better check but life gets in the way and the case was opened first thing this morning, that's not a lot of grace given.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    eBay encourage sellers to open INRs quite quickly, and one can be opened 2 days after auction ends. eBay also push the seller to sign up for the automatic system. Lastly, eBay seem to discourage sellers from continually reminding buyers to pay and instead remind buyer themselves, you should have had an automatic reminder on or around the 48 hour mark.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 10th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:35 PM

Why are you making such an issue of this? Just pay and job done. Stop taking an automated system personally!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 11,090 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    thank you I had a bid on ending on late Sat night I completely forgot about it until now, just been to check I won but already have an unpaid case against me .

As I said, the unpaid assistant does it if set up - there is no difference in whether it is a private or business seller, so don't take it personally.

FWIW I think private sellers have LESS time than business sellers sometime as they have NORMAL jobs!
    I normally pay straight away once I realise I need to but I might leave this one for a while now, I am in that kind of mood today..
    I get your mood but I don't understand the delay in paying. Either pay or don't. But don't delay, and certainly don't delay because of your mood.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    Why are you making such an issue of this? Just pay and job done. Stop taking an automated system personally!
    Originally posted by Marcon
    Thats why I asked the questing in the first place, was the system automated. The reply was its not unless the seller specifically states thats what they want to happen.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    FWIW I think private sellers have LESS time than business sellers sometime as they have NORMAL jobs!
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Clearly this person had plenty enough time to open a case practically to the second it can be done.

Like I said I will admit to being in a mood today (lack of sleep) I would probably not let it annoy so much another day, I am sure I will feel different tomorrow.

I haven't paid yet but I will do, I always do, normally straight away once I realise I have won.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    eBay encourage sellers to open INRs quite quickly, and one can be opened 2 days after auction ends. eBay also push the seller to sign up for the automatic system. Lastly, eBay seem to discourage sellers from continually reminding buyers to pay and instead remind buyer themselves, you should have had an automatic reminder on or around the 48 hour mark.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Yes I opened a message to an automatic reminder on the Monday night, nothing wrong it that, they were right I needed reminding, then a case opened this morning.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 59,287 Posts
    • 42,023 Thanks
    soolin
    Yes I opened a message to an automatic reminder on the Monday night, nothing wrong it that, they were right I needed reminding, then a case opened this morning.
    I have to admit that as a seller I don't really even think about it. You say yourself that you had a reminder, plus you would have notification when you won I don't see why I need to send anything else before I open an INR.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 11,090 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Clearly this person had plenty enough time to open a case practically to the second it can be done.

Like I said I will admit to being in a mood today (lack of sleep) I would probably not let it annoy so much another day, I am sure I will feel different tomorrow.

I haven't paid yet but I will do, I always do, normally straight away once I realise I have won.
    Well, if it was to the second, it was most likely the automated assistant.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Well, if it was to the second, it was most likely the automated assistant.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    That was an exaggeration. Auction ended late in the night around 11.30 case was opened 10.00 in the morning.

I suppose they must have had trouble with late payments in the past, I can understand that but its a pet hate of mine when people treat everyone the same. I am annoyed with myself a bit as well I have never had a payment case opened on me before, I always pay before now and the one time you slip up you get penalised for it.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I have to admit that as a seller I don't really even think about it. You say yourself that you had a reminder, plus you would have notification when you won I don't see why I need to send anything else before I open an INR.
    But I didn't see any of that until today, when I looked I saw everything at once.

Is it standard to send INR after two days with private sellers? maybe it is, it just seems a very short time frame to me, what if someone is ill.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 59,287 Posts
    • 42,023 Thanks
    soolin
    That was an exaggeration. Auction ended late in the night around 11.30 case was opened 10.00 in the morning.

I suppose they must have had trouble with late payments in the past, I can understand that but its a pet hate of mine when people treat everyone the same. I am annoyed with myself a bit as well I have never had a payment case opened on me before, I always pay before now and the one time you slip up you get penalised for it.
    The seller has no way of knowing what sort of buyer you are though, how does he/she know if you usually pay on time or not? All the seller sees is a buyer who ignores both the original contact plus the reminder. So as far as any seller is concerned you are the same as all the others that don't respond to a reminder.

Incidentally you have not been penalised at all, you pay and the matter is closed , the opening of a case does not impact you at all.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 59,287 Posts
    • 42,023 Thanks
    soolin
    But I didn't see any of that until today, when I looked I saw everything at once.

Is it standard to send INR after two days with private sellers? maybe it is, it just seems a very short time frame to me, what if someone is ill.
    Two days is what eBay have the system set to allow, so yes it is fairly common. Anyone who has been selling on eBay for a while has probably spent more than enough time chasing non payers , how long would you consider reasonable if a buyer has made absolutely no contact?
    New to Forum? Guide
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    The seller has no way of knowing what sort of buyer you are though, how does he/she know if you usually pay on time or not? All the seller sees is a buyer who ignores both the original contact plus the reminder. So as far as any seller is concerned you are the same as all the others that don't respond to a reminder.

Incidentally you have not been penalised at all, you pay and the matter is closed , the opening of a case does not impact you at all.
    But I didn't ignore the messages I didn't see them until I logged in and saw all three at once. I didn't realise that about the case, thanks

I take your point the seller has no way of knowing that I would pay.

Two days is what eBay have the system set to allow, so yes it is fairly common. Anyone who has been selling on eBay for a while has probably spent more than enough time chasing non payers , how long would you consider reasonable if a buyer has made absolutely no contact?
    I would consider 3 - 4 days reasonable I could have been away for the weekend and only just returned. I bid on the Friday, I didn't even know I had won until today, must admit I was surprised thought it would go for more than what I bid.

I am not so bothered about it now I know I wont be penalised, I thought it was once the case was opened you got a black mark and then a further black mark if you didn't pay.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 59,287 Posts
    • 42,023 Thanks
    soolin
    But I didn't ignore the messages I didn't see them until I logged in and saw all three at once. I didn't realise that about the case, thanks

I take your point the seller has no way of knowing that I would pay.

I would consider 3 - 4 days reasonable I could have been away for the weekend and only just returned. I bid on the Friday, I didn't even know I had won until today, must admit I was surprised thought it would go for more than what I bid.

I am not so bothered about it now I know I wont be penalised, I thought it was once the case was opened you got a black mark and then a further black mark if you didn't pay.
    You are not penalised at all for having a case opened, as long as you pay before it is closed.

The only possible issues you might have is firstly being blocked by the seller, most sellers do this automatically for non payers. Secondly, and I dont suspect for one moment this will apply to you, if you leave poor feedback there is a good chance that if the seller can persuade eBay it was left out of spite in retaliation for the case being opened then you may get a warning on your account.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    You are not penalised at all for having a case opened, as long as you pay before it is closed.

The only possible issues you might have is firstly being blocked by the seller, most sellers do this automatically for non payers. Secondly, and I dont suspect for one moment this will apply to you, if you leave poor feedback there is a good chance that if the seller can persuade eBay it was left out of spite in retaliation for the case being opened then you may get a warning on your account.
    No I will leave honest feedback, I might have been annoyed (Im not now I know I wont get a back mark) but I am not a vindictive person, at the end of the day I didn't check quick enough to see if I had won.

I think it said I had until Saturday to pay, in fairness that is plenty of time to notice/check you have won and pay before a non payment mark is given.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 59,287 Posts
    • 42,023 Thanks
    soolin
    No I will leave honest feedback, I might have been annoyed (Im not now I know I wont get a back mark) but I am not a vindictive person, at the end of the day I didn't check quick enough to see if I had won.

I think it said I had until Saturday to pay, in fairness that is plenty of time to notice/check you have won and pay before a non payment mark is given.
    Technically you have 6 days to pay before you can be given a strike, so your time limit would have expired on this Friday night if seller had chosen to set the INR mechanism rolling as soon as possible. That's 2 days before an INR can be opened plus a further 4 days for it to be closed.

The other thing to consider is that the seller may have a time frame to post, I sell on a private account using auction style and would sell up to approx. 7 days before I go on holiday as that leaves me enough time to get an INR open and closed if necessary. If I am unlucky enough to get a tardy payer pre holiday then I also might open a n INR on day 3, purely so I don't have to go on holiday worrying about whether someone pays and how I can get their item sent.

Speaking as a seller I find people either pay within about 2-3 days of purchase and those that take longer often don't pay at all, so I need them weeded out so I can relist and move on.

Lastly bearing in mind there is a possible RM strike next week the seller is probably anxious to get your item posted ASAP so it can be in the system and delivered before any strike action. Many sellers have experienced buyers who pay late and then suddenly find messages insisting on speedy postage and delivery as the item is urgent.
    Last edited by soolin; 11-10-2017 at 9:29 AM.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

7,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin