Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JEFFSHIPLEY
    • By JEFFSHIPLEY 10th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    JEFFSHIPLEY
    Giving notice
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    Giving notice 10th Oct 17 at 4:25 PM
    My stepson rents a room in a house and had to pay two month in advance because the contract stated a minimum of two month stay. He has been a tennent for at least 12 month and just given the landlord a months notice as the contract states. The landlord is now saying that every month you pay your rent it automaticly reinstates the two month contract therefore, if the room is not let immediately after, my stepson has been told he has to pay to cover the second month unless the landlord can fill the room. Is this an illegal contract and possibly fraud?

To me it seems impossible to give a months notice if he has a rolling contract for two!

Where does my stepson stand on this please
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    What does the contract say?
    Does LL live in the property?

A contract cannot be illegal or fraudulent - so not sure why you went there. It can however be legally unfair.

Ultimately he moves out and see's if the LL actually takes him to court (the likelihood of which will depend on answers to my first two questions)
    • JEFFSHIPLEY
    • By JEFFSHIPLEY 10th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JEFFSHIPLEY
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    Landlord does not live in the property. The room was initially advertised stating he must stay a minimum of 2 months. He had to pay 2 months in advance and has paid every month thereafter. He has been there over a year. The contract states 1 month notice is required, which was given. Landlord said if he cannot get a new tenant after the 1 months notice has expired, my step son must pay for the 2nd month too. When challenged, the landlord said each month when the rent is paid, it automatically reinstates a 2 month contract., which is contradicting in itself. This 2 month contract that gets enforced on a monthly basis is not in the contract. Personally, it seems the landlord is purposely decieving tenants, knowing they can never fullfill the 2 months because it is renewed every month. Possibly obtaining money by deception?
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 10th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    The landlord is either trying it on or is too stupid to understand his own contract. If it were me I would tell him he's wrong and refuse to pay the extra month.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 41,501 Posts
    • 47,904 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    Comms69 asked you what the contract says.

Please quote the exact wording relating to Rent and Notice.

Is rent paid monnthly or bi-monthly?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,006Posts Today

9,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin