Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • perc
    • By perc 10th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 890Posts
    • 16,490Thanks
    perc
    Switching to a new energy deal mid term
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    Switching to a new energy deal mid term 10th Oct 17 at 4:23 PM
    Hi, I am currently about half way through my contract with Scottish Power and was considering switching to their latest deal when I stumbled upon the site Lets Call Bull.

There's a blog post on there which states that you explains why not to switch in the middle of your contract:

http://www.letscallbull.com/blog/09-10-2017/when-is-a-cheaper-fuel-deal-not-a-cheaper-fuel-deal-

I was wondering whether anyone else had considered this when using the comparison websites or moving tariff within the same contract?
    "Those who try to make sense of the world are divided into four categories: scientists, theologians, philosophers, and fools. Correction ... make that one category with three sub-divisions" -- Carlo Kensada
Page 1
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    They are talking about the OFGEM mandated way of projecting prices. It's not a 'scam' its a case of 'cant please everyone all the time'. It's mostly set up to benefit customers who are already on the expensive SVT and the projected 'saving' can appear misleading if you are already on a fix.

If you already know your 'annual total' from the last time you fixed you can use that.

Some comparison sites do give the option of displaying a saving against 12 months on your current tariff, supposedly uSwitch and Moneysaving Experts cheap energy club will, although i'm not sure where the setting is.

That website isn't much better though. It doesn't mean it's always a bad idea to switch mid contract. If the cost of energy is lower it will be cheaper regardless of a headline grabbing 'saving'

Admittedly, It isn't always obvious if a new tariff is cheaper, because there are multiple factors - unit price standing charge - discounts (dual fuel, paperless etc), but if you know your projected usage it can be done. Even if the projection is wrong, they have to be massively off for different tariffs to switch places.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    Hi, I am currently about half way through my contract with Scottish Power and was considering switching to their latest deal when I stumbled upon the site Lets Call Bull.

There's a blog post on there which states that you explains why not to switch in the middle of your contract:

http://www.letscallbull.com/blog/09-10-2017/when-is-a-cheaper-fuel-deal-not-a-cheaper-fuel-deal-

I was wondering whether anyone else had considered this when using the comparison websites or moving tariff within the same contract?
    Originally posted by perc
    I switched mid term in a contract in June because the benefit of doing so more than compensated me for the small increase in cost over the summer months. Had I waited until the end of my fixed term contract (end of November) then I would have been faced with a much bigger increase. My tariff had no exit fee so this wasn’t a factor in my decision-making process. In sum, 4 months on a slightly increased tariff with low usage will give me 8 months on a lower tariff than one available today when usage will be high.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    Are you not using the MSE CEC to keep you informed of when a cheaper deal is available to you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,544Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin