Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2,757Posts
    • 1,882Thanks
    AndyPix
    DPF Regen ??
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    DPF Regen ?? 10th Oct 17 at 4:16 PM
    Hi all,
    My car (BMW 520d) has started to suffer with a bit of lag in the acceleration.
    I have had it at a garage on the computer and apparently the DPF is blocked and requires regeneration.

This is quite expensive so i was wondering if anyone has had any results from the various fuel treatments that can be added to the diesel tank ??

Thanks in advance
    Running with scissors since 1978
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 10,140 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    TBH, fuel treatments do very little for DPF issues. How many miles do you drive a year and what sort of journeys do you do?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    Thanks for the reply ..

I do ~ 15k miles per year .. Mostly motorway.

Im aware the car should do the regen its-self during a decent run but obviously this hasnt been good enough

Looks like ill have to bite the bullet and get it heat treated
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 10th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    It will have regen during the runs, but DPFs can only regen so many times before getting blocked with ash from the combustion process.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    ^^ Yep

Have you any input on the various fuel additives that claim to help with this ?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 15,527 Posts
    • 8,884 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    ^^ Yep

Have you any input on the various fuel additives that claim to help with this ?
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I think to a greater extent they're snake oil. If you DPF has got that clogged up that its impacting performance it would be little short of a miracle if one of these potions cleared it.

I had similar with my Passat. Light coming on relating to DPF, VW dealer forced a regen but ultimately VW put a new emissions unit on it (DPF and catalytic converter i think) which had it not been under warranty would have cost a cool £2,200.

I did try a potion but it ultimately made no difference.

I think your best best is having it removed and cleaned properly - there are companies out there who will do it.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    ^^ Thanks for that - I thought as much ..

If found a decent garage near me that can do it "in situ" (still on the car) by heating it up extremely hot and monitoring it carefully during the process ..

They say this will be roughly £135 plus the dreaded (maybe a little more depending on the state of some seals and whatnot in my engine)

This seems good to me as most other quotes have come in around the £400 mark but that involves removing the unit from car ..

Do you see any drawback to doing it this way ?
    (apart from risk of setting car on fire obviously)

I like to save a quid where I can
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 25,852 Posts
    • 10,287 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    So they will heat it up and run the engine to flush the DPF and only charge you £135+vat?

So basically the same as jumping on the motorway and keeping it in a lower gear to keep the revs up, 50-60mph but in a lower gear than you normally would.

I do wonder about these snake oils that are supposed to clean items after going through the combustion chamber at over 1000 degrees C and yet still manages to clean soot out of an exhaust.

Plenty of snake oils for sale yes, but look how many have been pulled after consumer groups actually tested them.

The cleaners appear to be mostly paraffin based, add a cup of paraffin to your diesel.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 12,871 Posts
    • 17,037 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    The cleaners appear to be mostly paraffin based, add a cup of paraffin to your diesel.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    It might work. It will run hotter, although I doubt a cup full would make a lot of difference. Perhaps a tank full?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    AndyPix
    So they will heat it up and run the engine to flush the DPF and only charge you £135+vat?.

Basically ,yes, I think so .
    Or they may apply external heat, blowtorch, blow air through ?? I don't know

So basically the same as jumping on the motorway and keeping it in a lower gear to keep the revs up, 50-60mph but in a lower gear than you normally would..

I guess so, but more like lab conditions
    ie it wouldn't be under load, and could be precisely monitored

Id almost certainly blow it up if I tried to do this on the motorway
    I do wonder about these snake oils that are supposed to clean items after going through the combustion chamber at over 1000 degrees C and yet still manages to clean soot out of an exhaust..

Yes, it does sound rather unlikely when you say it like that

Is that a serious suggestion ?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12,871 Posts
    • 17,037 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Someone on a motoring forum I used to frequent had a problem with a DPF that was so blocked that the engine wouldn't run (he had driven the car with the MIL on for a few weeks). The garage he took it to removed it and cleaned it out with a pressure washer in the yard. Probably breaking all kinds of environmental regulations in the process.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 10th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    MataNui
    That regen method wont work if its clogged with ash rather than soot. If it was soot your car should regen itself with the sort of driving you do. The best way is to have it off the car and flushed. That will remove soot and ash.
    • kram
    • By kram 10th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    kram
    A regen may work for a bit but there are companies who will clean & refurb it professionally you take it off & send by courier to them.

I would definately look at other options as it can turn into an expensive hobby if it aint done right to begin with & then you end up going back to the garage again.

I hope you get it sorted.
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 10th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    verityboo
    If the dpf is full of ash you need to send it to a company like this to be properly cleaned out

http://www.ceramex.com
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Tarambor
    This is quite expensive so i was wondering if anyone has had any results from the various fuel treatments that can be added to the diesel tank ??
    Putting additive in the tank still requires the car to be driven for a long enough period at high revs to get the DPF filter hot enough to do a regeneration.

In short you need to take it out for a drive on a motorway where you can maintain at least 50MPH and do it in a low gear so you're doing around 3000RPM or so and do that for at least half an hour to an hour. Chances are that although you've been doing motorway driving its been chugging along in top gear.

It will have regen during the runs, but DPFs can only regen so many times before getting blocked with ash from the combustion process.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    This isn't true, it depends on the types of journeys they do. The ones on the DAF CFs we have at work which are now 3 years old on well over 600,000km and do a 400 mile night trunk most nights are still on 0-1% on the dashboard display.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 10-10-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 15,527 Posts
    • 8,884 Thanks
    motorguy
    ^^ Thanks for that - I thought as much ..

If found a decent garage near me that can do it "in situ" (still on the car) by heating it up extremely hot and monitoring it carefully during the process ..

They say this will be roughly £135 plus the dreaded (maybe a little more depending on the state of some seals and whatnot in my engine)

This seems good to me as most other quotes have come in around the £400 mark but that involves removing the unit from car ..

Do you see any drawback to doing it this way ?
    (apart from risk of setting car on fire obviously)

I like to save a quid where I can
    i personally would pay for the DPF off and a full dip of the DPF being done in to a solution that cleans it. That solves your problem for once and for all IMHO. Heating it sounds like a glorified attempt at a regen, and as for pressure washing it.... :rolleyes:
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 10th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    debtdebt
    Go to a dodgy back street garage, pay them to take the DPF off and jet wash it.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 10th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    There are proprietary treatments that are not snake oil. Terraclean have devices and fluids to attach to cars and sort it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wisemanmotors/videos/?ref=page_internal

shows it in action (3rd video - messed up link or Facebook being unhelpful) - it's not pretty!

I think it is reasonably expensive tho'
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Oct 17, 6:15 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Go to a dodgy back street garage, pay them to take the DPF off and jet wash it.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Or an even dodgier back street garage that will remove it and reprogram your engine management to work without one. Surprisingly (or maybe not), there seem to be quite a few when you do a google search, perhaps trading standards and VOSA are short staffed?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 15,527 Posts
    • 8,884 Thanks
    motorguy
    There are proprietary treatments that are not snake oil. Terraclean have devices and fluids to attach to cars and sort it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wisemanmotors/videos/?ref=page_internal

shows it in action (3rd video - messed up link or Facebook being unhelpful) - it's not pretty!

I think it is reasonably expensive tho'
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    We were talking about fuel additives to clean the dpf when we talked about snake oil. Is theirs a fuel additive?
    Last edited by motorguy; 11-10-2017 at 8:22 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

306Posts Today

3,929Users online

Martin's Twitter