Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Timberflake1983
    • By Timberflake1983 10th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Timberflake1983
    Can I change my mind after accepting a job?
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    Can I change my mind after accepting a job? 10th Oct 17 at 4:07 PM
    Hi guys, I'm looking for the official legal standing on this.

I accepted a job with a new company and am due to leave my current company on 3rd November to start with the new place on 6th November. I've signed and returned my contract with my 'new' employer.

However, my current employer has now tabled a very attractive opportunity which I'm severely tempted to take and I just wanted to know how easy it would be to tell the 'new' employer I've changed my mind? Presumably as I haven't actually started work for them yet it wouldn't be an issue?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    Well in reality yes it wont be an issue.

Legally speaking they could make things a bit difficult, but probably wont.

At least this them the opportunity to match or exceed the new offer.
    • Timberflake1983
    • By Timberflake1983 10th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Timberflake1983
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    Thanks for the response, I know it's less than ideal, but the opportunity my current company has offered is too good to pass up. Just waiting for confirmation of salary and will let the 'new' company know.
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 11th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    Wyndham
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    Worth saying that quite often in this situation, the person leaves the first company within a year. There will be things you don't like about where you currently work - is the new offer enough to mitigate these? Or will you still be fed up and looking around?
    • Timberflake1983
    • By Timberflake1983 11th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Timberflake1983
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    I'm not fed up with my current company, they've been really good to me. The only reason I handed my notice in was because I was approached about a new opportunity in Company B which I liked the sound of. Company A have since some back with an even better opportunity which is hard to ignore.

It will be an awkward conversation to have with Company B but I've got to do what's best for me.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 11th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11,734 Posts
    • 25,288 Thanks
    andygb
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    I'm not fed up with my current company, they've been really good to me. The only reason I handed my notice in was because I was approached about a new opportunity in Company B which I liked the sound of. Company A have since some back with an even better opportunity which is hard to ignore.

It will be an awkward conversation to have with Company B but I've got to do what's best for me.
    Originally posted by Timberflake1983

Stick with what you know, particularly if you like the present place, and they seem to want to keep you.
    Good luck.
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 11th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    lillie421
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    Yes, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't leave it too late before you let them know as this may cause some complications. I doubt they will take legal action. Just be polite and civil, tell them you are grateful they offered the job to you etc. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

8,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you for covering the story - but also can i say - what a great name for the editor of Money Marketing! https://t.co/UcvQduTeJL

• Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Follow Martin