Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 10th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 297Posts
    • 169Thanks
    pinklady21
    LBTT (Stamp Duty - Scotland) on an annexe
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    LBTT (Stamp Duty - Scotland) on an annexe 10th Oct 17 at 3:32 PM
    Hello ever helpful people!
    I have hunted through the online guidance on this, and cannot find the answer. Possibly I can't it see it for looking!

Anyway - the question is - property I want to buy as a main residence has a self contained annexe.
    Is this annexe a second home that would mean the transaction attracts the additional 3% levy on top of usual stamp duty charges?
    If so..... is 3% levied on the full amount of the property purchase price including the annexe and the large amount of land that comes with it,
    or is it only levied on the perceived value of the annexe?
    This may be completely obvious, but my brains are frying to find the answer.
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 10th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 5,587 Posts
    • 4,991 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    there was a change to the rules in England meaning that the annex has to represent a certain % of the overall value of the property in order to count as an additional property

whether Scotland adopted that change is down to you to find out
    Last edited by 00ec25; 10-10-2017 at 3:41 PM.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,655 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    The LBTT guidance online isn’t great, you can quite easily end up going round and round in circles trying to follow it.

LBTT10018 - What counts as a dwelling defines a dwelling says, “A building or part of a building counts as a dwelling if it a) is used or is suitable for use as a single dwelling or b) it is in the process of being constructed or adapted for such use.” Therefore it sounds as though you are purchasing two dwellings.

However, LBTT10016-Transactions by individuals seems to suggest that the surcharge might not apply if the annexe dwelling is worth less than £40k.

In conclusion you should probably give Revenue Scotland a call to clarify.

I could well be wrong though.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 6,291 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    If it doesn't have planning consent to be used independently of the main house then I wouldn't call it "suitable for use as a single dwelling". I agree if worth less than £40k then the additional rate wouldn't be triggered anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter