Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • london.cidade
    • By london.cidade 10th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 14Thanks
    london.cidade
    Confused about end of tenancy notice
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    Confused about end of tenancy notice 10th Oct 17 at 3:16 PM
    Following my fixed-term contract (Started on March 2016-Finished on March 2017). I have been contacted by Estate Agent. After discussing the subject got below e-mail(between stars).
    We are about to buy a flat and agreed with the seller to move into the new flat by 1st December. When do we have to give the notice to our current landlord or estate agent?

I write to advise you that your Landlord is happy for your tenancy to become statutory periodic upon the expiry of the current fixed term (18/03/2017). You will receive confirmation on that date from us.

my previous post is at the bottom and thanks to GM he provided a link, it says as below, but when I asked my solicitor she says my notice period is two months, but according to below it should be one month, not two months (btw my rent payment is monthly). Could you please enlighten me? am I wrong?

4) After the end of a Fixed Term (SPT)

a) Tenant's notice
    Where rent is paid quarterly/monthly/weekly, then Tenancy Periods run quarterly/monthly/weekly starting the day after the FT ended.

A tenant can end a monthly SPT by giving at least 1 months notice in writing ending on the last (or 1st day - Crate v Miller 1947) of a Tenancy Period sent to the address "for serving notices".

A tenant can end a weekly SPT by giving at least 4 weeks notice ending on the last day of a Period.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593364
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 11,014 Posts
    • 15,190 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    If you pay your rent monthly then your solicitor is wrong. It’s 1 tenancy period, a period being 1 month in your case, notice that you must give as per G_M’s link.

Do not give notice until you have exchanged contracts on the new place.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 10th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    00ec25
    your solicitor may be able to get one of her underlings to do the conveyancing work associated with buying a property but clearly knows nothing about tenancy law

the notice period required from the tenant when said tenant is on an SPT is as explained ib GM's link.... one (full) rental period and this it may, or may not approximate to between 1 - 2 calendar months depending on exact dates of the rental period and when the notice was served in relation to them
    • london.cidade
    • By london.cidade 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    london.cidade
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    your solicitor may be able to get one of her underlings to do the conveyancing work associated with buying a property but clearly knows nothing about tenancy law

the notice period required from the tenant when said tenant is on an SPT is as explained ib GM's link.... one (full) rental period and this it may, or may not approximate to between 1 - 2 calendar months depending on exact dates of the rental period and when the notice was served in relation to them
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    that`s sad, we pay £1750 for a leasehold maisonette purchase the solicitor was advised by one of our friends since we are FTB we didn't want to take any risks.. perhaps the solicitor is just focused on conveyancing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,195Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin