Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,469Posts
    • 2,539Thanks
    LadyDee
    Is my TV on the way out? Now Resolved (post 28)
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    Is my TV on the way out? Now Resolved (post 28) 10th Oct 17 at 3:05 PM
    Elderly LG TV (6 years old), so not worth spending out to get it repaired (even if repairable).

I'm having trouble with the sound. Turn on BBC1, no sound. Switch to BBC2 (which has sound) then back to BBC1 and it's OK. It doesn't lose sound whilst I'm watching - it's just when I first select a programme, I have to go to the next one and switch back again to the programme I want to watch. I sometimes have to flick back and forth several times until I get the sound on the programme I want to watch.

It seems to be happening on many, if not all, programmes; and it's the same when using the TV direct through the aerial or through my Humax box.

I've answered my own question really I suppose, but just hoping that somebody can come up a solution?

PROBLEM NOW SOLVED (post no. 28)
    Last edited by LadyDee; 13-10-2017 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Update to post
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 9,720 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    Can you Factory reset the TV through settings .
    Also check cables and HDMI settings .

Fails proceed to Richer Sounds .
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    Can you Factory reset the TV through settings .
    Also check cables and HDMI settings .

Fails proceed to Richer Sounds .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Checked cables etc., done the factory reset, still the same. Looks like it could soon be the end then.

Problem is that I anticipate moving to Australia in the quite near future so reluctant to buy a TV now that might not work Down Under. Each time somebody on the Aussie forum asks the question about landline phones, TVs and the like, you get conflicting answers.

So, if anybody here does know about such things I'd be very grateful to hear their thoughts.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 10th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    trigger fish
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    Elderly LG TV (6 years old), so not worth spending out to get it repaired (even if repairable).
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Christ-elderly at 6 years old!!
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 10th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    rmg1
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    Quick thought, if you don't bounce between channels, does the sound come on on it's own?
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    Christ-elderly at 6 years old!!
    Originally posted by trigger fish
    I know - it's dreadful that my friends see me as being in the technological dark ages because of my six year old TV, my mobile phone that only makes phone calls, my car that doesn't have built-in satnav - and I could go on. Where things can be repaired then I have them repaired but anything over 12 months old is now looked on as being "not worth repairing".
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    Quick thought, if you don't bounce between channels, does the sound come on on it's own?
    Originally posted by rmg1
    It doesn't seem to - I left it on a silent channel about ten minutes ago and it's still the same.
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 10th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    rmg1
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    I just thought it might be a dry joint (or similar) that connects up when it warms up a bit.

If that is the case, it should come on once the TV has been on a little while and got warm (but the problem will probably get worse)
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 10th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    My Mum's just been complaining about the sound on her LG TV... it is a few years older mind you, bought in 2008. Her complaint is that the sound fades and she has to turn the TV up, then it'll go back to normal and be blaring. I'm just considering is it her own hearing that's going or the TV?
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    My Mum's just been complaining about the sound on her LG TV... it is a few years older mind you, bought in 2008. Her complaint is that the sound fades and she has to turn the TV up, then it'll go back to normal and be blaring. I'm just considering is it her own hearing that's going or the TV?
    Originally posted by mac.d
    No - it's all part of The Big Plan to get us all to buy new TVs every few years. I feel her pain, I do have to increase the volume sometimes. Buy her a new telly!
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I've now tried recording a channel with no sound, and I do get the sound when I play it back.

Edit - well it worked once, but tried again to make sure and it didn't the second time.
    Last edited by LadyDee; 10-10-2017 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Additional info.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 5,174 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Problem is that I anticipate moving to Australia in the quite near future so reluctant to buy a TV now that might not work Down Under.
    How much of a hassle is it to just carry on what you are doing ?
    It's not as if it's the olden days where you had to get up and physically walk over to the TV to change channels !
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 7,579 Posts
    • 5,374 Thanks
    esuhl
    I had similar problems with my LG TV.

It will not turn on unless the temperature is 20 degrees or above.

It often turns on, but the tuner doesn't activate (resulting in a black screen). Leaving it on to "warm up" for 10 minutes, then turning it off and on again usually fixes this.

Once the tuner is working, the TV often turns on without any sound (or occasionally a high-pitched squealing).

It's never worked properly (even after engineer visits) -- I'll never buy an LG TV again.

But... I suspect the problem is due either to dry solder joints or leaking/faulty capacitors. I reckon someone who knows a bit about electronics could probably fix it... but the cost of a professional service probably makes it uneconomical to fix.

On the bright side... I just stopped watching TV when it failed... so now I'm saving £145 a year on the licence fee.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    How much of a hassle is it to just carry on what you are doing ?
    It's not as if it's the olden days where you had to get up and physically walk over to the TV to change channels !
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Well it's not really, just irritating. Except of course if I now can't rely on it to get sound when recording then that would be the pits. I might just see if I can pick up a secondhand one - there must be shops that sell used TVs?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 10th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 4,173 Posts
    • 5,305 Thanks
    jack_pott
    No - it's all part of The Big Plan to get us all to buy new TVs every few years.
    There's no conspiracy, it's just the inevitable consequence of economic growth. One person's increase in wealth is another person's increase in labour costs, so products get cheaper and cheaper to buy, but more and more expensive to repair.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    There's no conspiracy, it's just the inevitable consequence of economic growth. One person's increase in wealth is another person's increase in labour costs, so products get cheaper and cheaper to buy, but more and more expensive to repair.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    I do of course know that (my degree included an economics module) - perhaps I should have found a tongue in cheek smiley?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 6,209 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    I had similar problems with my LG TV.

It will not turn on unless the temperature is 20 degrees or above.

It often turns on, but the tuner doesn't activate (resulting in a black screen). Leaving it on to "warm up" for 10 minutes, then turning it off and on again usually fixes this.

Once the tuner is working, the TV often turns on without any sound (or occasionally a high-pitched squealing).

It's never worked properly (even after engineer visits) -- I'll never buy an LG TV again.

But... I suspect the problem is due either to dry solder joints or leaking/faulty capacitors. I reckon someone who knows a bit about electronics could probably fix it... but the cost of a professional service probably makes it uneconomical to fix.

On the bright side... I just stopped watching TV when it failed... so now I'm saving £145 a year on the licence fee.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Do you ever use BBC iPlayer ? or get_iplayer ? Then you are breaking the law unless you only watch S4C (as if)
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 6,214 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Not sure if the factory reset includes a retune, If not try retuning.

I've now tried recording a channel with no sound, and I do get the sound when I play it back.

Edit - well it worked once, but tried again to make sure and it didn't the second time.
    Did it record without sound or just playback without it? If you've recorded something without sound the Humax might be the fault (No idea how!) Try connecting the aerial direct to the tv.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 10-10-2017 at 7:31 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    Robisere
    Just a thought, based upon advice given in the pub, from a commercial TV/internet/CCTV company boss and mate, based in our village:

Is the TV mounted above a heater or fire, on the chimney breast? Reason I ask, is that a guy in the village had a similar problem (don't know if it was an LG TV) and mate diagnosed dry joints caused by heat. He stripped the TV, tested circuits and pronounced it dead, due to the fact that TVsets made in the last few years are not made to be economically repairable. He was not after selling him a set: does not sell TV's, but recommended a list of sets to buy and recommended mounting it somewhere away from the (wood burner) fire.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Just a thought, based upon advice given in the pub, from a commercial TV/internet/CCTV company boss and mate, based in our village:

Is the TV mounted above a heater or fire, on the chimney breast? Reason I ask, is that a guy in the village had a similar problem (don't know if it was an LG TV) and mate diagnosed dry joints caused by heat. He stripped the TV, tested circuits and pronounced it dead, due to the fact that TVsets made in the last few years are not made to be economically repairable. He was not after selling him a set: does not sell TV's, but recommended a list of sets to buy and recommended mounting it somewhere away from the (wood burner) fire.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    No, no heat source anywhere close. I think I've just worn it out - I watch far too much telly!

However, that is a bit of useful information to tuck away for any future siting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,355Users online

Martin's Twitter