Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murph13
    • By Murph13 10th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Murph13
    Tax on Share dealing account and share isa???
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    Tax on Share dealing account and share isa??? 10th Oct 17 at 2:51 PM
    Hi,

Can anyone exolain in detail when cgt is liable on profits from shares within these two different accounts.

I've been told different things by different people so not sure whats right or wrong. In a shares isa people say you do not pay capital gains tax on your isa whilst others have told me you do but only when you withdraw the funds from the isa, so basically you can benefit from only withdrawing smaller amounts each year and paying less tax each year rather than paying the big lump sum for the whole amount.

So which one is it, no cgt or only when you withdraw amounts from the isa?

And with a share dealing account you have to pay the tax on it in that tax year whether the profits are still in the share dealing account or if you've transferred them to your bank. Is that right?

Im sooo confused lol

Thanks in advance for any info.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    No CGT payable on any growth within an ISA, even when sale proceeds are withdrawn.

And yes, in an unwrapped account, CGT is payable whenever the growth is realised by selling the shares, regardless of where those funds go after that.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 12,241 Posts
    • 10,778 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    I've been told different things by different people so not sure whats right or wrong. In a shares isa people say you do not pay capital gains tax on your isa whilst others have told me you do but only when you withdraw the funds from the isa,
    Originally posted by Murph13
    Whoever told you that you pay tax on an ISA has no idea what they are talking about. The whole point of an ISA is that the money inside them is entirely tax free.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,265Users online

Martin's Twitter