Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 10th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 9,183Posts
    • 57,634Thanks
    LEJC
    How much "in house maintenance" do you as a LL expect or as a tenant give?
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    How much "in house maintenance" do you as a LL expect or as a tenant give? 10th Oct 17 at 2:42 PM
    This thread isn't meant in any way to have a go at either tenants or LL's and I would be grateful if we could refrain from apportioning too much blame either way when replying.

It comes on the back of an email I recently received from a set of tenants asking me to arrange a plumber to deal with a wobbly toilet seat.

The email came in during an evening and I decided it could wait till the morning to respond.
    Come the next morning as I was composing an email back came the reply...not to worry as it was just a loose screw and had now been fixed.

Fair enough...but it got me thinking as to how much is too much to suggest the tenant first tries some simple fixes....

I appreciate that everyone has different thresholds of capability but tenants I'd like to hear about your experiences in a light hearted manner as well as how LL's have dealt with the "smaller " requests.

Is it a case that as a tenant you report everything first then consider your options or is it a case of if it needs any fix it's back to the LL for advice or guidance.

Or is it a case of LL's you would rather deal with everything however small to avoid the potential of things becoming worse.
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 141 out 118 in ...£14.92 spend
Page 3
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 11th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    Wyndham
    If you're not too fussed about completely closing the doors (as in my experience you can't when using them) one of these might do the trick https://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2538067/chrome-over-door-hooks?gclid=CjwKCAjwgvfOBRB7EiwAeP7ehos9nBK_DQLJC-QopAwHizsUs4e8iEWhwltzI8vXZZ5KodsZ3AOK8xoCPJMQAvD_ BwE
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Thanks for this - I have something similar. I also remove them when the landlord is coming round (not often) as I just don't want the aggro. They are a bit 'precious' about the flat - I think they'd prefer to have the rental income, without anyone actually living there.... It's fine for my part time 'away' life, but it would never be a home!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 15,941 Posts
    • 39,731 Thanks
    FBaby
    So no the level of maintenance the LL does is often not reflected in the price. Market rate is market rate the input of the LL is down to whether he is a prat or not.
    Well that would be the view of the tenant

My neighbour (and friend) rented his mother's house after she passed away. It's a dream house, 3 bed in great location, 5 minutes walk from train station, 3 minutes from great school, quiet neighbourhood, large garden etc... However, although the house was perfectly functional, it was oudated, old kitchen and bathroom, old boiler (but in perfect order) etc... My neighbour rented it as such for 18 months. When the tenants left, she decided that it was the right time to do a large refurbishment, new windows/door/bathroom/kitchen/carpets etc... Difference in rental income: £150 a month (and had 3 families fighting for it), that's how the market rate can fluctuate.

So yes, if her first tenants had call to say that toilet seat was wobbly, she probably would have told them to try to fix it. With the new tenants, and a brand new toilet, she most likely would want to go and have a look to understand why it got loose in the first place.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 11th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    aneary
    Well that would be the view of the tenant

My neighbour (and friend) rented his mother's house after she passed away. It's a dream house, 3 bed in great location, 5 minutes walk from train station, 3 minutes from great school, quiet neighbourhood, large garden etc... However, although the house was perfectly functional, it was oudated, old kitchen and bathroom, old boiler (but in perfect order) etc... My neighbour rented it as such for 18 months. When the tenants left, she decided that it was the right time to do a large refurbishment, new windows/door/bathroom/kitchen/carpets etc... Difference in rental income: £150 a month (and had 3 families fighting for it), that's how the market rate can fluctuate.

So yes, if her first tenants had call to say that toilet seat was wobbly, she probably would have told them to try to fix it. With the new tenants, and a brand new toilet, she most likely would want to go and have a look to understand why it got loose in the first place.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    The two flats I was talking about were built in 2008 they only difference other than outside space was one had wooden flooring and a better hob the one I didn't chose so in this case neither were dated.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 11th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    My views are similar to other tenants, I'll change bulbs and fix minor issues that I know I'm capable of. The sink tap in our old house started coming loose but I didn't bother the landlord, I just found the screw underneath and kept tightening it every so often. A bigger issue was the boiler losing pressure when the heating had been used but we knew how to twiddle the knobs under it to fix that. If I can sort something to avoid people trampling in my home I will do.
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 11th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    A bigger issue was the boiler losing pressure when the heating had been used but we knew how to twiddle the knobs under it to fix that. If I can sort something to avoid people trampling in my home I will do.
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    We had a boiler that used to do this often, and like you we'd also just twiddle the knobs

One day the timer broke. The agency refused to get anyone to replace it saying "plenty of people live without a timer" anyway next time the pressure dropped out I rang them and said in my most innocent voice that the boiler had broke, then asked the engineer to get us a new timer and voila
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000
    • chappers
    • By chappers 11th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    chappers
    . If I can sort something to avoid people trampling in my home I will do.
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    I think that along with the £10 rule holds up, many tenants will do minor jobs to keep their LL at arms length. But I can tell you there is nothing worse as a landlord than finding your tenant has had a go at something and not quite fixed it properly and as a result has caused longer term damage, or even worse not reported a minor issue that has resulted in more damage.
    When I was renting property I always used to make it clear to my tenants that I would prefer them to let me know of any issues no matter how trivial and in return I always tried to fix things in a timely manner, regardless of fault.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Speaking as a tenant, I'll do anything within my skill set if it takes less than an hour and doesn't cost me anything other than a few bob.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

2,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin